• Connect today Guest, Join our never resetting minecraft 1.20.4 survival server, where we explore, mine, build, and survive together. We are a family-friendly community, and open to all over the age of 13. Bring friends and make new ones!
    Features include: mcMMO RPG, Rewards for Achievements, a /market, Multiple worlds, sit on a chair, events, Economy, and more. We can't wait to have you join us!

[done] 1moreblock.com server maintenance scheduled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
[edit] We are on 1.12, have enabled 1MB 2.4, and are basically all done with most maintenance.

Hey everybody, this news update is to let you know that the private beta period for upgrading to 1.12. has ended as Mojang has now released 1.12 as a stable build.

We can not upgrade at this point. But it will be possible. That's where we stand right now.

Okay, let's get into some upcoming downtime due to maintenance, upgrades and updates.

Where are we now?
The 1moreblock server is currently on version 2.3.
This Summer we will upgrade to 1MB version 2.4.

Minecraft is currently on 1.12 as their latest stable. This is what we aim to upgrade to.
1MB 2.3 supports version 1.11.2, this is our -live- server (public).
1MB 2.4 will support version 1.12, this is currently our -test- server (whitelisted).

Spigot is currently on 1.11.2 and has support for a preview (pre-release) of Minecraft 1.12 (pre6)
In order for us to upgrade to 1.12 stable, we need Spigot to first update to support Minecraft 1.12 stable.

The plugins that work with Spigot can only upgrade to 1.12 stable if Spigot is on 1.12 stable.

You can imagine this is where the wait is. However, Spigot has been doing an amazing job with the pre-releases of 1.12 and we have been successfully testing in private the upgrade from 1MB 2.3 to 1MB 2.4, and Minecraft 1.11.2 to Minecraft 1.12 based on Spigot and plugins for Spigot.

This means we are hopeful that we can indeed upgrade to support 1.12 stable for everybody to play. #soon

Okay, let me explain this:

This means that when we can upgrade, we will do a public -test- before doing a -live upgrade. The test requires us to first clone the -live- server after backing it up. This will be a scheduled downtime in the off hours when nobody is online (hopefully). But it will require me to take an hour.

The second scheduled downtime will be to move some of the current plugins from 1MB 2.3 to 1MB 2.4 on Minecraft/Spigot 1.11.2 in preparation for the 1.12 upgrade. And during this period we will also look at reaching a 100% success on upgrading the plugins to 1.12 on the -test- server. This downtime will be a bit less than an hour. The server might appear online with the message "Maintenance".

The final scheduled maintenance will be a few hours or however long it takes me that day, to convert the first stage of 1MB 2.3 to 1MB 2.4, along with Minecraft/Spigot 1.11.2 to 1.12 stable.

When we move to 1.12 on the -live- server we will also first backup, in case of big errors or data loss, so we can roll back to 1.11.2 and try 1.12 stable another day. This 'test' period on the -live- server for 1.12 will be a day or so.

The second stage of the -live- server upgrade will be to enable non-essential plugins and some new 1MB 2.4 features for 1.12. Such as the events, perks, mcMMO, /hunting, some secret worlds, etc. More about that in another thread. This downtime will be up to an hour.

And the final scheduled maintenance will be when we move the server from the old setup it is on now to the new setup with an i7 cpu, 8gb gpu, faster ram, SSD, etc. More details about that in another post as it happens.

When's the first time we will have maintenance? Well, that depends on when Spigot releases a 1.12 stable build, I will update this thread accordingly. So please sign up on the site, subscribe to this thread, and feel free to ask any questions or leave a reply.

I will update this thread accordingly.

BOY, A lot to do for me! Get a final backup, a final test setup, a public beta test on the -test- and -live- server, add new features for improved gameplay and step up our game by moving to a new system. WHOOO, come play!

THE BIG SUMMER UPDATE IS COMING!

Last edited:

Floris

Staff member
Update: Thursday Afternoon.

There is a Spigot 1.12 stable build. This means I can start building the jar file for our server, while making a backup of the 1MB 2.3 for Minecraft 1.11.2 server and prepare for the first beta test.

Expect the -live- server to be down today quite a few times. If there are any showstoppers we will put the 1.11.2 server back online so everybody can play as usual.

Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 15.28.50.png Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 15.29.03.png

Last edited:

Floris

Staff member
Update: Thursday Afternoon still.

The backing up of 1.11.2 -live- server has been completed.

A -test- build for 1.12 stable with 1MB 2.4 has been set up properly.

The build of Minecraft/Spigot 1.12 stable has been completed without errors.

The plugins have been checked for their latest and working versions, patched, customized, compiled, etc. to work with our setup.

The -test- build has been updated and runs in Maintenance mode (appears online, you can not join it).

Internal testing and preparations to go live are being made. Things are looking okay.

Converting the custom build worlds to 1.12

Floris

Staff member
Update: Thursday Evening is starting.

The /spawn area has been updated, and a Villager statue has been added to the area.
The Villager has added the ability to find a Mansion, by unleashing the Cartographer with his map.

The Mansion can be yours to claim, just be the first! Also, it has unique loot if you can find it.

View: https://youtu.be/1USxo-KaN1c

The converting of the worlds seems to go fine. For performance issues we are leaving on the world border in most worlds that already had them, but have removed them where we could.

The world border for /general has been expanded from 6,000 to 15,000. And it will be completely removed once the 1MB server runs on the new hardware this Summer.

Please note the server is still whitelisted as we're configuring and tweaking everything. It just takes time. We have to guarantee you keep your protections, that nothing burns down, and that all the custom and public plugins are working as expected. There's still quite a bit of work to do.

The /mine world has not been reset, your old homes and warps will still work.

The /mine world has a new spawn in a never untouched 1.12 area. Type: /mine to get there (also just fun to explore, the spawn is a little town)

The End world ( /end ) has been reset, as has the Nether: /nether

The /general and /legacy worlds of course are still there, they are permanent worlds.

Floris

Staff member
Update: Thursday Evening, dinner time.

Allow me to take a small break please :)

The worlds have been converted okay,

Hunting for mobs, and getting rewarded with loot and money bags has been enabled in more worlds.
Including /general and /skygrid

The /warps for /warp end, /warp nether, /warp mine, have been updated.

All the plugins have been upgraded to their latest nightly build and so far I haven't experienced any errors.

New 1MB 2.4 features have been disabled as we will introduce 1.12 first, and see how it goes.

Floris

Staff member
Update: Thursday Evening.

It's almost 6:30 pm here in the Netherlands, I am taking a break.

I have moved the -servers- of 1MB 2.3 out of the way and archived them as a backup. The -live- 1MB 2.3 server is still there in case we need to roll back later for whatever unforeseen reason.

The -test- servers are now organised and the 1MB 2.4 server is now a public beta. Please understand if we have a big issue that we will shut down and restore to our backup from a few hours ago. But it seems to run (for me) just fine.

The 1.11.2 features are upgraded to 1.12, no new 1MB 2.4 features have been enabled. Again, bigger changes will be enabled in the coming days, weeks and during this Summer. Our focus right now is to get 1.12 stable and running as expected.

But basically: We've moved. Part one and two are done. A few more things to do. Feel free to join the server and play a little. However, any issue: please report back!

Floris

Staff member
Update, Friday

I just restarted the server after reviewing last nights gameplay, it seems everything is fine so far.
I've updated some plugins that since yesterday received a bug fix update.

Today I got some other things to attend to - maybe I will work on it tonight, but I am hoping we get some people on today that play and report back any issues (if any).

The Apple order changed from Processing to Preparing for Shipment, I guess they've completed building the new system. It should be here within a week, and maybe I will be able to move the 1MB server from this system to the new system.

Floris

Staff member
Update Monday morning.

The 1MB 2.4 server has been running stable enough on Spigot/Minecraft 1.12 with the current set of plugins and some new features. Enough that I am happy with it and see no reason to continue a 'test', and consider this version -live-, we will not roll back.

As a test, an offspring -test- server for our Skyblock is being rebuild from scratch - based on 1MB 2.4 (stripped down).

Beta testers and players with world vouchers are invited to come play (contact me for details) and get early access. It's also possible to apply for team status (also .. contact me).

Tonight, from this post on, the servers on the 1MB Network will all be shut down for a maintenance window that will last a few hours. Monday afternoon the servers will be back online.

See you guys tomorrow for smoother gameplay! By the way, the new system is in the UK with UPS and should arrive on schedule this week.

Floris

Staff member
Update: Monday afternoon

The server was down a little longer than expected, as that usually is how it goes.
The backups have at least all completed, one is doing a 1 disk to 1 offsite disk backup of the full system now.

The server updates will be listed in todays changelog.

Floris

Staff member
Update: June 17th, 2017.

The threads on the forums will get minor updates here and there, just to make sure everything is up to date.

The -live- server now runs 1MB 2.4 pretty stable, with Minecraft/Spigot 1.12 and all the plugins up to date, yep, including /market, the ONE plugin that didn't want to upgrade.

I consider this our live version that we will go forward with - we will not roll back to 1.11 anymore.

The -dev- servers and -test- servers have been synced and merged, and their stable changes pushed to the -live- server (and changelogs have been updated accordingly).

The -dev- and -test- servers are now removed, (well, backed up and removed) and we will start building new ones with the focus purely on the 1.12 Summer stuff.

The "old" system the 1MB server runs on is being prepared to be moved to the "new" system. And yes, the new system has arrived and is being setup, tested, and reviewed. So far it looks promising.

This means: We are done with the convert from 1.11 to 1.12, and from 1MB 2.3 to 2.4. What's left is moving the server from the old to the new system.

With 2 big maintenance things all completed, and with 1 server move left, and events to be hold.. we're basically at 50% done with our scheduled maintene... well, it's more like 80% done.

Floris

Staff member
Update: I consider the maintenance to be 100% completed. The server has been moved to the new system. And we are running it okay. If there are no issues, we will leave it running on the current setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.