Welcome to OMG boards community!
Community of friends where we talk about daily life, offtopic stuff, and what keeps us busy.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

3 Reasons SWTOR Will Surpass WoW

Discussion in 'SWTOR Discussion' started by TeHpUmKinKiNg, Mar 3, 2011.

1. TeHpUmKinKiNg

TeHpUmKinKiNg OMG Member

Threads:
    Found a pretty good read over at TORLEgends. Hope you enjoy :)

During a presentation at the Goldman Sachs Technology and Internet Conference Tuesday afternoon, EA Games CEO John Riccitiello discussed the company and how it was faring in the gaming market.

Riccitiello talked about several different platforms, strategies and intellectual properties owned by EA, but the most notable (and in depth) discussion centered around MMOs, specifically Star Wars: The Old Republic, and how he predicts it will fare against World of Warcraft.

"I've got the utmost respect for Word of Warcraft. I was once a [WoW] player. It's one of the greatest products invented... We're going right at it. We want to take share. We want a leadership position here... [WoW has] got 12 million subscribers that they keep talking about. We want to take a big chunk of that."

He went on to praise BioWare's track record (even calling them "the highest average rated developer in the history of games"), and he listed three key reasons why SWTOR will succeed against WoW where so many other MMOs have failed.

1) SWTOR is Just Different Enough

[​IMG]

"When you come after a product like World of Warcraft, it's got its own share of faux British dark fantasy, with broadswords and chain mail. Lots of products have come up with exactly that fictional composition and attempted to take them down, but they're going up against a superior product with a very loyal base, and haven't been able to move them at all."

The same type of dark fantasy lives in the Star Wars universe; except it's lightsabers vs. broadswords, and instead of riding your steed you've got a spaceship. We actually think that's the right amount of innovation to bring with this.

A lot of people want to live the Star Wars fiction. Being a mage or a rogue is one thing; being a Sith or a Jedi is another thing. They're just separated by enough.

This addresses the age-old argument that SWTOR is a WoW clone, but EA seems to think that's a good thing. Clearly they want to feel familiar to existing WoW players, but they're hoping the Star Wars name will separate their product enough to pull those players in and (most importantly) keep them engaged.

2) SWTOR Looks Better

[​IMG]

"We have the next generation of technology. I think our game standing up side by side is gonna look better... we think we've got a better looking product."

No surprises here, though neither are really pushing any boundaries on that front. The big question is: do MMO players really care that much?

3) SWTOR is the First "Talkie"

[​IMG]

"In a way, theirs is a silent movie and ours is the first 'Talkie'. [WoW] is not a voiced MMO, ours is a fully voiced MMO in multiple languages. That's a fundamental point of differentiation as well."

While this seems to be a somewhat minor pull for existing fans right now, EA and BioWare have been pushing this feature as a major WoW killer for a long time. Maybe it's just a marketing angle, but maybe they're onto something. A fully voiced MMO could be one of those things that redefines the genre, and may have people wondering how they ever lived without it.

2. Jayden

Jayden I R Posting Machine

Threads:
    I'm not sure it will surpass wow, but it will definitely give blizzard a run for its money.

3. Draconek

Draconek Citizen of the Forum

Threads:
    There are definitely reasons why say...I will be playing this over WoW, but that doesn't account for everyone. The reasons in the article also don't really justify saying it will surpass WoW. WoW has been THE MMO this past decade, and with any such luck, TOR will be the MMO of this decade. All we can really do is hope. In my opinion, expressing that they will surpass WoW is a statement bold enough that could lead to the games downfall, I just certainly hope it doesn't. We won't know until we get our hands on it if it will truly be capable of such things.

4. Deep Fried Gungan

Deep Fried Gungan I Punch Gizka

Threads:
    As much as I am looking forward to this game, I don't think it will take down WoW.

Then again, I don't think it really aims to, nor should it. It should aim to be the best game IT can be, and not worry about WoW, or any other MMO for that matter.

5. Draconek

Draconek Citizen of the Forum

Threads:
    Unfortunately, Bioware and Blizzard have already publicly commented about each other, both with a condescending tone. Personally, I believe that's the biggest mistake Bioware has made thus far.

6. kamikaz3117

kamikaz3117 Galactic Fetus

Threads:
    TOR wont take down WOW, but I see it as a competitor. Almost everyone knows about Star Wars and it will be easier to get players with Star Wars in the name.

7. jenbuu

jenbuu Galactic Fetus

Threads:
    If Tor was to take down WOW it would need to extremely well and i mean VERY well. at the moment WOW has about 11.4million subscribers, and thats not taking into account that the last expansion inst even released in china at the moment, ( so i believe). its been the same for years when a new MMO comes out WOW's subscription base drops for a few months and then slowly increases again, what bioware needs to do is get a solid and stable release and they will do fine. Its been stated and i agree TOR will bring a new influx of players to the MMO genre, young and old, star wars is a large franchise and hopefully will do good

8. Jayden

Jayden I R Posting Machine

Threads:
    It probably WILL surpass WoW, but that will be a few years after launch. There's no way TOR will bury WoW in its first year. Even as awesome as it looks, WoW is just too much of a behemoth.

9. Evix Vortana

Evix Vortana Galactic Fetus

Threads:
    I recalled one of the big mouths at EA was spouting off about how they'll take down Blizzard. From what I've seen, BioWare's been rather humble about their product and its potential.

I don't have enough information to guess whether SW:TOR will or will not surpass WoW, but it definitely holds a lot more interest for me than WoW ever did, and does indeed surpass WoW for me, in terms of the planned features.

10. elite2

elite2 Galactic Fetus

Threads:
    It will Surpass wow no argumment.

11. Segellion

Segellion Galactic Fetus

Threads:
    Wow is definately on the way out, it's boring gameplay and pixelated graphics definately date the aging game. WoW's greatest subscribers are in Asia so the only chance SWTOR has of beating WoW in subscriber numbers is by conquering Asia.

Otherwise it's all a matter of how long SWTOR can stay active for because eventually WoW will go the way of Everquest and become thin.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice