A Cure for Aging?

Challenged

OMG Member
Scientists have uncovered information through gene research that human's "telomeres", which cap off our chromosomes containing nucleotides, shorten as we age, young people's are much longer, which in turn, shorten our lives until we die. With this fact in mind, do you think that medical science will ever be able to control or manipulate this process, leading to possible immortality for the human race? And, would that be a good or bad thing?

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
I wouldn't mind dying, I certainly don't want to live forever. But having the ability to disappear for a while and come back at the almost same age without consequences. Just so I can experience the future or space travel. That would be quite amazing.

Nix

Just a little crazy!!
Staff member
I dunno... it's a tough question really!

Embassy

OMG Member
The human race isn't ready to live forever. In short, the people in charge of such things don't have the guts to practice selective breeding. Something we would have to do in order to keep the population down to where the earth itself can live forever. Nobody dies, yet people keep having babies? It would just be a matter of time before the planet could not sustain us anymore.

Reactions: Nix