Welcome to OMG boards community!
Community of friends where we talk about daily life, offtopic stuff, and what keeps us busy.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

All right, I'll play along

Discussion in 'The OMG Archives' started by Tricorder, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

Since DevilKid asked me to start a thread of my own here by pestering me into doing it until I agreed to do it, here it is, as a favor to him. Nothing more, nothing less. Happy now, DK?

[​IMG]

Before we start, at the risk of sounding rude and / or bitchy (at this point, I don't really care if I do, though) - to whoever reads this - if you're thinking about posting here, do yourself a favor and read this boring wall of text below first. I know it's a drag, but it contains useful info on how not to get yourself banned, as well as some useful tips on general behavior and acceptable posting style.

If you choose not to read it and then get yourself banned because you said or did something I said isn't allowed, that's your problem, not mine. By posting in this thread you agree to play by my personal rules. Break any of them just once and you're gone, so don't say I didn't fairly warn you.

Don't worry, though, it's nothing unreasonable. Not to me anyway. If you think I'm being overly restrictive here - I don't care. Turn around & leave this thread instead of posting in it. I have no intention whatsoever making any compromises or cutting any slack to anyone.

I'd much rather prefer not to have any rules at all, to just openly get along with everyone, but since people just love to take the lack of rules & discipline as a permission to run amok and act like a complete and utter jerks, and to take (proverbial) swings at others for their own amusement, rules are a necessary tool, or a weapon, if you prefer, which I will use & enforce to the letter to keep all (potential) troublemakers out of here & away from myself.

These rules are written as a 'worst case scenario' deterrent (sadly, worst case scenario is what I've learned to expect from people in general, especially on the Internet), and are to be taken exactly as they are written. There is no hidden meaning in any of them, no leeway, no "higher spirit" that leaves any space open for interpretation, or anything like that. Basically, if it says "don't do that", that's exactly what it means - don't do that. At all. Not even a little bit. Not even as a joke. Ever. Period.

Right, then. I don't really care if anyone asks me anything or not, but if you do, bare in mind that this thread exists solely because I'm allowing it to exist. I don't really want to do this, since I have no desire whatsoever to let anyone on the whole Internet get to know me, so, if at any point I change my mind and don't want to be questioned anymore for any reason I see fit (or for no reason whatsoever other than my whim), this thread will go bye-bye, so don't think that I'm obligated to do this, because I'm not, in case someone feels like abusing this privilege and taking the opportunity to take a (proverbial) swing at me, like people on the Internet tend to do when given an opportunity to do so.

If you have a problem with that, that's exactly what it is - your problem, not mine. If, for some reason, you indeed have a problem with me moderating my own thread - I don't care.

[​IMG]

No one is forcing you to even look at this thread, much less post in it, so what's the problem?

Anyway, do yourself a favor and don't waste your time & energy arguing with me on this, in case someone is thinking about doing that. It will only annoy & irritate me and make me trigger-happy with the ban button, which I have no problem pressing when provoked. Simply said, push my buttons and I will push the ban button with your name on it, on the spot & without thinking twice about it. If you can't or won't treat me with respect, why should I keep you around? Why should I allow you to bully me? Get the point or do I need to spell it out to you?

Before anyone starts asking me things, here are the rules I expect and demand everyone who post in this thread to strictly follow, regardless of your status on this or any other forum / site / social network / whatever. No exceptions, regardless of your (real or imaginary) "rank".

I don't care about who you are, what you are, how (un)popular you are here or elsewhere, your age, gender, country of origin, sexual orientation, religious believes (or a lack of them), music taste, your height, weight, skin color, hair color, shoe size, your IQ or anything else about you when it comes to following these rules. You could be the president of your country for all I care, but that doesn't mean absolutely anything to me, or autistic and unable to comprehend the basic social skills (If that's the case, what are you doing on the Internet? Shouldn't you be somewhere in your own little world, disconnected from the reality? [​IMG]), but I still don't care about your excuses.  

Every single person who decides to post in this thread must follow my rules to the letter. Period.

In addition to Mikey's rules for this section, I don't want any personal questions whatsoever. Just to make it clear for those who might (pretend) not (to) know and / or understand what qualifies as "personal", since lots of members of the human race seem to be unable or unwilling to grasp that concept, here are some examples:

You: What's your real name?

Me: None of your business.

You: Are you male of female?

You: How old are you?

You: Where are you from?

You: How tall are you?

You: What's your hair color?

You: What do you do for a living?

You: What are your hobbies and interests?

Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera...

Anything I feel (in my sole judgment; anyone else's judgment is completely and utterly irrelevant to me here) that violates (or has a potential to violate) my privacy will not be answered and will most likely be deleted (depending on my mood and your attitude), if I feel attacked and / or offended by it, or if I get a feeling that you're trying to get me to reveal my personal informations with an intention to use them against me, as people on the Internet tend to do.

Anyone who fails or simply refuses to take post deletion as a hint and continues to take proverbial swings at me won't last very long around here. Choose your words carefully. One wrong word and you're gone. I don't give a second chance to anyone, especially to those who act out on purpose with an obvious intention to be annoying in some way. If I don't like something you said or the way you said it, I will delete your post and most likely ban you, depending on how much you pissed me off. Asking questions is fine, asking them with an attitude is not, for example. If I sense a hostile overtone attached to your post - sayonara.

You may address me by my current user name that you see on your screen at the time of reading this post. I may or may not change it at some point. Perhaps I've already changed it a few times. Regardless, addressing me by my previous user name(s), or even worse, using it / them to mock & ridicule me, is an excellent way to get yourself instantly banned, if I notice that you're using it / them to "poke fun" at me for any reason whatsoever. I can joke about my user name(s) as much as I want. You can't. Not even a little bit. Ever. Period.

Don't be a linguistic jerk. Talk (or rather post) normally. While I'm generally tolerant toward those who talk differently in some way, (over)using, so called, "big words" and / or stubbornly saying "do not, did not, have not, is not" instead of "don't, didn't, haven't, isn't" (you get the idea, and if you don't, you'll get it when I ban you) to make yourself sound smarter than everyone else (which is the sole reason anyone talks like that anyway) is a good way to irritate me into getting rid of you, if I notice that you're doing it on purpose just for the sake of it. Basically, if I have to look at the dictionary to understand what you said, or I see you constantly talking like Data from Star Trek, I won't even bother talking to you. If I can talk normally, so can you. Period.

Also, keep the unnecessary text formatting down to a minimum. Or, better yet, don't use any unnecessary formatting at all. Constantly coloring your text and / or using non-default font just for the sake of it might seem like a good way to make yourself feel special, to stand out above everyone else, to be more noticeable, but all it does is irritate me, since there's no real reason to do it other than attention whoring and / or being a formatting jerk. Don't do that either. Period.

Security of your account is your own responsibility. Passwords exist for a reason. If you take a swing at me and then try to get away with it by blaming it on your family member, cousin, friend, your dog, cat, bird, aliens or whoever, saying how they went behind your back and used your account without your knowledge while you were taking a dump - I don't care. That's your problem, not mine. I will most likely ban you anyway, depending on my mood, your attitude when I throw you against a proverbial wall & confront you with what you did and the amount of damage you caused to me. Of course, I fully reserve the right not to waste even a second of my time talking to you about what you did and simply ban you on the spot without any warning, if I feel like it.

Aside from the fact there's no way for me to know whether you're telling the truth or not, what guarantee do I have it won't happen again? Your word? And I should believe your word because... what? Because you did such a great job keeping your account safe the first time? [​IMG] So, do yourself a favor and keep your account safe to avoid having your little brother / sister / cousin that came for a visit / whoever getting you into trouble. Apologizing to me afterwards once the damage is done won't help, since apologies mean absolutely nothing to me. You wrong me - I take revenge on you. Cause and effect. Simple as that.

I'm not your servant. I can't stress the magnitude of this fact enough. Don't expect and / or ask me to do anything for you that's not strictly related to my administrator status. I'm here out of my free will, voluntarily doing a favor to Mikey by helping him take care of this place at my convenience, not because I'm obligated to, or anything like that.

For example, if you made a typo in a thread title you just started and need me to correct it, or if you notice something broken and would like to see it fixed - that's fine. Notify me about it via the private message and I'll see what I can do, at my convenience, when & if I feel like it.

However, I will not cater to your whims and other kinds of requests I have no interest in, or can't benefit from them in some way. If you can't do something by yourself, why should I care? How is your inability to do something that doesn't concern me by yourself my problem? There are lots of things I can't do by myself, but you don't see me going around, pestering people to do them for me, do you?

Occasionally asking for some minor help is fine. Doing it constantly and / or expecting me to do stuff for you I have no interest in nor can benefit from is not, and I will not do it, unless you give me a damn good reason to do it. Period.

Don't be a nuisance. Just because you can ask me questions, doesn't mean you should flood me with them, or demand that I answer them, so take it easy. Of course, I fully reserve the right not to answer any question of my choice, even if it doesn't violate any of my rules here. Considering the fact this whole place is virtually dead, I doubt this will ever be an issue, but the rule is here to stay anyway.

If you want to make a joke at my expense (which I'd rather that you don't), make sure to clearly indicate it as a joke with an appropriate smiley. If you don't know how to use smilies and / or their meaning - learn it. They exist for a reason to help convey emotions & intentions, and to eliminate misunderstandings in e-communication. If that's too much work for you, don't even bother talking to me. If you do, you risk getting yourself banned, if I interpret your words as hostile.

Bare in mind that I don't appreciate sarcasm being (over)used just for the sake of it, so if I see this smiley :rolleyes:  (or any other similar one that indicates sarcasm) at the end of (almost) every sentence - you're out. Occasionally using it when appropriate is fine. Purposely going out of your way to sound sarcastic just for the sake of it is not. It's annoying and I don't like it. Don't do it. Period.

Furthermore, looking for loopholes in these rules I've set and trying to argue with me will result in your immediate removal. If you (think you) know me from somewhere else - I don't care. Don't think that earns you some special privileges here, because it doesn't. You must follow the same set of rules and obey the same code of conduct I've set like everyone else. I treat everyone equally and operate on 'eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth' principle of justice. If you don't like it, don't post in this thread. Again, I have no problem banning anyone at the first sign of provocation.

If this seems harsh and / or overly restrictive to you - leave this thread immediately. But, if you're still here, do read on. The reason is simple. I don't feel comfortable revealing my private informations on the Internet, especially since I've learned from experience that people just love to use them against me whenever they can, to mock, ridicule, taunt and generally mistreat me for some reason, so I'm not going to make the same mistake again and risk giving someone an ammo to shoot back at me. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice... and you're gone. Permanently.

If anyone tries something like that here, or just feels like trolling, making sarcastic remarks or generally displays signs of aggressive, arrogant, condescending, disrespectful, pretentious and / or generally immature behavior toward me, I will ban you on sight without thinking twice about it.

You don't like it? Well, I don't like being e-bullied by the Internet tough guys & girls who think they can say & do whatever they want and get away with it because "its teh interwebz", so they have the luxury of hiding behind the safety of their monitors from the consequences. You hit me with words - I hit you back with a banhammer. I win - you lose. Simple as THAT.

Need more? Okay. Think like this: If I were to come to you house, apartment or wherever you live, start throwing mud at your face, breaking your furniture while screaming insults aimed at you from the top of my lungs, etc., all without any prior provocation from you whatsoever, what would you do? Offer me milk & cookies or throw me out? Get it now? So, play nicely and we'll get along just fine. Treat me the same way you want me to treat you. It's really that simple. Sounds fair? Yes? Good. No? Well, there's a cure for that:

[​IMG]

Again, if you have a problem with these restrictions I've put into place here (which, when you think about it, aren't really THAT restrictive, since all you have to do is mind your e-manners and be polite & respectful, which is really a common sense), you are more than welcome not to post in this thread. As I said above, I don't really care if anyone asks me anything or not, so even if this thread ends up laying dead & abandoned, it's no loss to me, in case someone is thinking something along the line of "Rules? Oh yeah? Well I won't post in your thread then, so sc*ew you!"

If you're genuinely interested in getting to know me better without any hidden agenda... you're pretty much out of luck. I suppose you could try asking me in private via the private messaging system. Of course, there's no guarantee that I'll answer (I most likely won't), since I have no way of knowing who you (really) are and what you intend to do with my personal informations once you get a hold of them, nor am I really interested in meeting new people (nothing personal, I just prefer to be left alone), but you're welcome to try. Needless to say, publicly posting anything I said in private without my explicit permission will result in your immediate banishment, regardless of your intention.

Remember, apologies mean absolutely nothing to me. You get one chance only. Screw it up and you're gone. Permanently. If it helps, think of this thread as a mine field and these rules as a straight narrow path in the middle of it. As long as you stay on the path, you'll be fine. If you deviate from it by so much as a single step, you'll step on a mine and be blown up. Consider yourself fairly warned & informed. Of course, you are completely free to avoid this thread in wide arch, which I highly recommend everyone to do, and go post elsewhere on OTH.

Additionally, I will edit this post and add further rules & restrictions to it as I see fit & when I feel like.

If I notice that rules & restrictions aren't having a desired effect, and that I'm constantly finding myself ignoring and / or deleting posts, I will simply close & remove this thread from the public view to spare myself the trouble of dealing with an e-drama. I have better things to do than to argue with e-jerks and other forms of e-bullies who get off on pissing people off while hiding behind the safety of their monitors from being punched in the face. Case closed.
     ​
     ​
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2015
  2. DevilKid

DevilKid .

Great! Finally :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Let me start with this:

Do you want me to ask few questions per post? or do you want me to post a reallly reallly reallly long post (asking questions) as promised?

3. OP
    Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

I'll leave that choice to you. Whatever floats your boat is fine by me. ;)

4. DevilKid

DevilKid .

I'd prefer few per post..

Where on the internet do you get the animated GIFs from?

5. OP
    Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

Nowhere specific. I just use Google image search to look for specific gifs when I need them. Sometimes I accidentally stumble upon them while searching for something else and bookmark them for later use. ;)

6. DevilKid

DevilKid .

I see.. I see.. Where did you get your username from?

7. Mikey

Mikey :mikey: Staff Member

Lol. DK, star trek!!

Did you ever speak to sov002 regularly? Do you miss him? :(

8. OP
    Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

[​IMG]

To answer both of your questions with a single answer - not really. I didn't get a chance to get to know him well enough to miss him. Sorry.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2012
  9. Marietta

Marietta Comes and Goes.

Do Klingons sing karaoke?

10. OP
    Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

Not to my knowledge. They are quite fond of the opera, though.

Some opera singers from Netherlands have recently visited my country and sang a Klingon opera, live on stage. Alas, it was in a city too far away from where I live, so I couldn't attend.

:D

• Like Like x 1
  11. DevilKid

DevilKid .

Have you ever been to India?

12. OP
    Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

I have not. The only foreign countries (well, foreign to me) I've been to are Slovenia, Austria (just passed through them), Germany and France. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2012
  13. DevilKid

DevilKid .

I see, I see.. (Good thing that was not too personal or I would've been

[​IMG]'ED

What games do you play on PC?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2012
  14. OP
    Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

Nah. Not that. You would be...

[​IMG]'ED ;)

I don't play games much anymore. Recently, I (re)played Star Trek: Elite Force 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bed4ckda_xc

When I'm in the mood (and have nothing better to do), I play some Jedi Academy multiplayer, Command & Conquer and/or Starcraft in a custom game (non-campaign, skirmish) mode. :)

15. Mikey

16. OP
    Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] !!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2012
  17. Marietta

Marietta Comes and Goes.

Did you like Spock Vs. Q?

18. OP
    Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

I only watched one video of it on YouTube and wasn't particularly impressed. Maybe if they were improvising on the spot instead of reading from the script... :/ Still, seeing Leonard Nimoy (Spock) confusing the hell out of John de Lancie (Q) was amusing.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2012
  19. DevilKid

DevilKid .

What is Doctor Who all about?

20. OP
    Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2014
  21. Marietta

Marietta Comes and Goes.

Have you seen the marvelous breadfish?

22. OP
    Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

The marvelous what? [​IMG]

*googles*

*finds something*

http://breadfish.co.uk/

Aha. Now I have. :p

• Like Like x 1
  23. Marietta

Marietta Comes and Goes.

:D

What memes do you like best?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2012
  24. Mikey

Have you ever been in love?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice