Welcome to OMG boards community!
Community of friends where we talk about daily life, offtopic stuff, and what keeps us busy.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

Black Holes

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Crystal, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Crystal

Crystal OMG Member

Threads:
    Black Holes

Thought this might be an intriguing subject too.

If I understand correctly, black holes are the result of stars that have collasped in on themselves, and they suck in literally everything that comes near them, including light. And nothing can escape from them. (Feel free to correct me though if I'm wrong on this--I'm far from an expert on anything in space.)

So, how many black holes do you think are out there? And have any ever been found?

2. Ki Adi Mundi

Ki Adi Mundi I decimate ninjas.

Threads:
    Re: Black Holes

Well, it's theorized that there is a massive black hole at the center of our galaxy. Also, it is proposed that there are traveling black holes, moving through the universe.

In January 07, researchers at the University of Southampton in the UK they found a black hole, of about 400 solar masses, in a globular cluster associated in galaxy named NGC 4472, roughly 55 million light-years away.

3. DarthParrot

DarthParrot OMG Member

Threads:

You know, I've always wondered if there might be a really really strong black hole at the center of our galaxy. It could explain why our galaxy is circular shaped; a black hole is simply pulling masses (planets, stars, nebula's) from all directions.

Think of it like water draining in a sink, a bunch of stars are slowly orbiting the black hole and are also slowly sinking into it.

However, if that were true, that means that Earth will eventually fall into a black hole in the next bajillion years or so.

EDIT:

Well, I guess that means that my previous theory might actually be plausible. :p

Another theory:

We might already be in a black hole and not even know it (I'm no expert, but apparently that's possible according to my sister the physics major). Already being in a black hole could explain gravity, I'm not exactly sure how though... But it's a thought.

4. Ki Adi Mundi

Threads:

True, but wouldn't we be crushed? I thought matter inside a black hole is theorized to be compacted to microscopic levels, and then slowly ejected out of the black hole, as Hawking radiation.

5. Omega_007

Omega_007 OMG Member

Threads:

Aren't black holes supposed to contain a substance totally enimical to matter or is that just the sci-fi mentality at work?

6. DarthParrot

DarthParrot OMG Member

Threads:

Not if Earth and it's solar system is just stuck in the event horizon of the black hole.

Source

EDIT:

Are meaning something like anti-matter? If so, I highly doubt that that's the case. However, no one will really know until they actually go into a black hole.

7. heavymetal

heavymetal OMG Member

Threads:

you get into all this voodoo physics with things like black holes and unified string theory.

i remember reading about a random universe where the laws of physics don't apply as we understand them at least.

maybe crystal is working on her own space novel??

8. MercZ

MercZ OMG Member

Threads:

Black Holes are a very confusing subject. Issue is we have never really observed one aside from receiving x-rays from them. As Ki stated, there is a black hole, specifically a super-massive one, in the center of the milky way. Obviously not even one of the fastest things we know, light, can escape the black hole (hence the name). The gravity on those things are insane, and anything that goes in is supposed to be crushed and destroyed. It is lost to the universe. What happens beyond the singularity is unknown (sci-fi junkies have often considered that black holes could be worm holes to other parts of space or alternate dimensions).

It is theorized that the end of the universe will occur when they eat all matter, and eventually those'll lose energy and fall away.

There are black holes that move, and technically there is a chance that the solar system will encounter one. As for the Earth and its life being destroyed by one, what we have to consider though that it is more likely that Earth will be destroyed when the sun expands to a red giant (and that is billions of years off), and obviously by then man has either been wiped out, evolved beyond recognition, and/or colonizing space.

9. DarthParrot

DarthParrot OMG Member

Threads:

There's a big hole in that theory, the law of conservation of mass. Thing's don't just end, they get converted into different types of energy. However, if Steven Hawking's theory is correct and matter inside a black hole gets converted into "Hawking radiation," then it may be possible that the whole universe will eventually become converted into Hawking Radiation as the universe seeps into these black holes.

So technically that theory is correct that there may be an end to the universe as we know it today, the universe will still exist of course, but just in a different state of energy (I.E. Hawking radiation.)

Of course, that's all assuming that Steven Hawking's theories are correct and that's also assuming that the entire universe will in fact be "sucked in" by these black holes.

10. MercZ

MercZ OMG Member

Threads:

Just look up the heat death theory. It's the most popular one, and one phase involves Black Holes destroying all recognizable things. I didn't mean matter would be "destroyed", just in a sense that it would be unrecognizable to us once the black hole is done and decayed.

11. Ki Adi Mundi

Threads:

Well, in a way, this all relates back to the Big Bang theory. Consider all matter has been converted to Hawking Radiation, or whatever, and is all being sucked in, ultimately, by THE black hole. Eventually, all that matter is going to become so condensed, so compacted, that it will erupt.

It's theorized that the big bang occurred because all the matter in the universe was originally shaped into a ball. And, inside that ball, matter was so condensed, it was superheated, and once the last little bit of matter was added in, it was just enough to cause an explosion, hence the Big Bang.

Keeping in line with this, we theoretically could be living in another reincarnation of the universe. And, eventually, our universe will collapse upon itself, via a massive black hole, condense, and then re-expand in a violent explosion.

12. MercZ

MercZ OMG Member

Threads:

That is the Big Crunch Theory, which the way you are describing it is the endless cycle of Big Bangs and Big Cruches. Deja vu over and over.

At the moment though, we can only observe the black hole the way it is. As Hawk said, the most knowledgeable are the likes of Hawking and other astrophysicists who make numerous theories as to their nature.

13. Junk Angel

Junk Angel OMG Member

Threads:

Uhm weren't there also theorised to be White holes? I think they were mathematically proven although not encountered yet.

14. OP
    Crystal

Crystal OMG Member

Threads:

What is a white hole? I think I might have heard of them, but I don't know what it is exactly--although I would assume it's the opposite of a black hole, heh.

Anyway, on the subject of black holes, I remember my dad saying once that it might be possible that black holes serve a useful purpose, because there is a lot of energy out there due to all the billions of stars out there, which radiate a lot of energy, so the black holes may serve a purpose by sucking in the excess energy so that there isn't a massive buildup. I just think it's an interesting thought.

15. MercZ

MercZ OMG Member

Threads:

With out getting too in-depth, a white hole ejects matter rather than sucking it up like a Black Hole does. Some people say that the White Hole is on the end of a Black Hole, spitting out what it sucks in. They look the same though, being areas of high gravity.

Black Holes could be viewed as a sort of clean up I guess. Issue is no one knows exactly what they do. It was once thought that once matter went in, it would keep it there. Hawking Radiation says they emit some energy which might be from the matter and other things they took in. Having too much energy isn't bad though. Only thing that is bad is dark energy if it exists.

16. DarthParrot

DarthParrot OMG Member

Threads:

A white hole would reflect all light though as opposed to a black hole which absorbs it. So theoretically, wouldn't a white hole be visible since it would allow for reflected light to actually get to our eyes?

I just had a thought, if Hawking Radiation is emitted from a black hole and can actually escape. Wouldn't that mean that Hawking Radiation would have to be even faster than light? Considering that light cannot escape a black hole.

Incidentally, what is dark energy?

17. MercZ

MercZ OMG Member

Threads:

The existence of white holes is still hypotehtical, but even with the ejection of matter to an observer it looks the same. The event horizon still has a region where light can be seen from.

That's just radiation though. Light does have characteristics of particles, which makes it more different. Radiation can travel at various speeds, which is why you can catch things like Gamma, UV, and X-Rays from distant areas of space.

It's a very confusing thing I can't really explain too well. It is believed that it consists of a lot of outer space, and it is believed because of dark energy that our universe constantly expands.

18. JadeHeretic

JadeHeretic OMG Member

Threads:

Wiki says:

Dark energy is a hypothetical form of energy that permeates all of space and tends to increase the rate of expansion of the universe. Assuming the existence of dark energy is the most popular way to explain recent observations that the universe appears to be expanding at an accelerating rate. In the standard model of cosmology, dark energy currently accounts for almost three-quarters of the total mass-energy of the universe.

PhysicsWorld.com says:

An international group of astronomers has found new evidence that most of the energy in the Universe is in the form of "dark energy". Kyu-Hyun Chae of the University of Manchester and colleagues in the US, Germany and the Netherlands studied “gravitational lenses” found in the ten year Cosmic Lens All Sky Survey (CLASS). By combining the results of the survey with data on the distribution of galaxies, they showed that most of the energy in the universe is in the form of dark energy.

19. twinky dink

twinky dink OMG Member

Threads:

its meant to be at the end of every black hole is a white hole that spits everything out. >.>

20. MercZ

MercZ OMG Member

Threads:

That's a theory, like anything else about Black Holes. The presence of a white hole would lead to something like a wormhole.

21. Junk Angel

Junk Angel OMG Member

Threads:

Uhm energy is either positive or negative. Matter can be normal and dark :)

Thus a pozitron is not a dark electron, it's an anti-electron.

22. Ki Adi Mundi

Threads:

So, energy can't be neutral? Having the same number of positive and negative electrons?

23. heavymetal

heavymetal OMG Member

Threads:

seems like a saw a science show the other day where they have been working 50 years to count some kind of neutron energy?? some big breakthrough inside mountain lab in japan a few years ago. --nova science show i think.

24. Hawkeye

Hawkeye OMG Member

Threads:
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice