Welcome to OMG boards community!
Community of friends where we talk about daily life, offtopic stuff, and what keeps us busy.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

Did A Geonocide Really Take Place?

Discussion in 'SWTOR Discussion' started by TeHpUmKinKiNg, Jul 27, 2011.

1. TeHpUmKinKiNg

TeHpUmKinKiNg OMG Member

Threads:
    A *few* years before the time of the Old Republic, the Sith were plentiful in the galaxy. The Sith had their own culture. Them, as it teds to happen in this galaxy, things got sticky. A great war between the Sith and the Republic broke out, with both sides vying for dominance. When it was all said and done, the Sith were driven from the Republic, and forced into exile in the Unknown Regions.

Now, some seem to think there is evidence suggesting the Republic and the Jedi Order committed genocide back in the day, when they expelled the Sith from the known galaxy. It is believed the Sith were massacred by the Order and the Republic, in a "religious purge." Their culture was mass eradicated from the Republic.

If this were the case, that would paint a pretty dark shadow on the grand and infallible Jedi Order, would it not?

On the other side of the coin, it is argued that such a genocide never took place and, in fact, Sith civilians and soldiers were treated more than fiarly, even during a time of war.

What do you think took place? Were the Sith simply driven from the Republic, or were they brutally eradicated? What evidence do you have to support either side?

2. Junk Angel

Junk Angel OMG Member

Threads:
    Damn looks like the tubes ate my earlier response.

As it is, I would not be surprised if a genocide actually did take place. Most people forget that the jedi are in a sense not a force of good, but of moderation and balance. If they see something as too disrupting the balance, they usually remove it.

At least fluffwise. It's a bit different in the games though to be honest. The jedi there are rarely proponents of Order as they ought to be, but of Good, justice and whatever else that's just as emotionally fueled as the Sith are perceived to be. Whareas dark jedi are supposed to be an indicative of chaos - once more not the case, as they are always shown as evil as opposed to merely completely fueled by emotion.

Though in the end, I would assume that this genocide actually took place more in the form of We have a fleet over your world, surrender now and we will let you live. >No we shall never surrender even if we merely have sticks and stones.

But as a more recent example of a relatively genocidal act of the republic, you merely have to take a look at Mandalorians. Those fared awfully, their population was shredded in some respects and the limits imposed on the survivors were potentially just as bad.

3. Jayden

Jayden I R Posting Machine

Threads:
    I don't think it beneath the infallible Jedi Order to commit mass extinction. In fact, its right up their alley.

4. Deep Fried Gungan

Deep Fried Gungan I Punch Gizka

Threads:
    This is speculation mind you, however here is how I see the most likely scenario. There were likely some Republic (and possibly even Jedi) groups who took things too far. Maybe they targeted civilians, maybe they went for a scorched earth policy on a remote place that the Sith were on.

It is possible that these events were passed around to the Sith and, like any rumor, grew and grew. It is possible that the Sith believe that the Jedi and Republic attempted to commit genocide against them when in fact no such event occurred.

5. Junk Angel

Junk Angel OMG Member

Threads:
    As far as I know not a single sith has been seen in a long long time.

True sith - the species. not the dark jedi that use the mantle.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice