Welcome to OMG boards community!
Community of friends where we talk about daily life, offtopic stuff, and what keeps us busy.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

Difficulty finding dedicated staff members

Discussion in 'Manage your Site' started by Floris, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Floris

Floris I'm just me :) Hi. Staff Member

Threads:
    Difficulty finding dedicated staff members

One of the few questions I ask those who offer their services as moderator to the team are:

- are you in it for the long run?
    - do you have the free time to take on this task with dedication?

And while they at the time answer truthfully, they tend to forget they've got free time because of summer vacation, or under estimate they will have school or work again and not enough free time.

Whatever valid excuse, it's basically impossible (on a volunteer basis) to find dedicated staff that want to help fight spam, write content, work on projects, help behind closed doors. etc.

People think a moderator position seems to mean: i post, until I get the status, and then I can ban users who I don't like, and not just spammers.

Without realizing there are like 25 basic functions that come with being a moderator. Including managing the members on the site, and fighting spam.

I have gone through handfuls of moderators and so many stick around. And sometimes disappear for months.

It's really demotivating for me to build a project, make tasks, and have the faith in them taking them on and completing them. As a team. I end up doing it all myself. Meaning I might as well do them straight away vs writing out tasks and managing projects.

And letting them go for being unproductive and unmotivated doesn't help the situation either.

2. Mikey

Mikey :mikey: Staff Member

Threads:
    I know how you feel, I recently hired a "content moderator" - it was his job (unpaid) to make content, such as tutorials and such and he posted twice, then never returned. STUPID.

Last time I promote someone to staff from outside the community.

3. Pitchoune

Pitchoune OMG Member

Threads:
    Always hire someone which is already registered and already make content as a sort of award.

4. Vilandra

Vilandra OMG Member

Threads:
    I've been pretty lucky over the years, but we do usually get people who one day just disappear. The sad thing is that 99% of the time they were people who were really good mods for their tenure, and then something happened. I think it's gotten more frequent in recent year, though, I'm not quite sure why. Maybe short attention spans lol, or maybe we're being more ambitious with asking them to do more than move threads around.

5. kneel

kneel OMG Member

Threads:
    i've had a killer time trying to find a decent staff. On my toyota site, i finally, after over a year, have found a good, solid team that works well with each other and is always doing stuff to promote the site. My newest adventure, however, only time will tell on that. The person i put into the mod spot seems to be pretty interested so we'll see.

Keeping moderators that are loyal and hard working is an impossible task..lol....

6. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh OMG Member

Threads:
    I know this is an old thread, but I think I can contribute to it apart from being a thread necromancer.

As far as I see it, your mods should be passionate about the subject matter they are put in charge of, flexible in their approach to the work they are expected to do, lenient to a point, but not be a pushover, be able to accept that on some matters they are wrong, or their opinion is unfounded if they over-react to a post, and be able to take some stick without taking it too far, and punishing the poster for having a sense of humour.

Now don't get me wrong, I've been guilty of over-reacting to a comment on a subject that is very close to me, and closed the thread and warned the user against continuing the topic further, and had to retract my warning because I was being very closed-minded.

I haven't had my own online community, but I've been a part of several active, and a few sadly since defunkt communities, and moderated on a couple, and can sympathise with some of the problems people have had with staffing issues.

Just my £0.02

Joe

7. Nemmerle

Nemmerle OMG Member

Threads:
    A lot of people with some form of brute power - money, access, authority - expect to be The Boss, and are singularly unsuited to the role. They have their vision of how things are going to work and everyone has to go along with it. Leadership is about more than that. A lot of it's about a respect for the truth, but at a more basic level it's about standing up for peoples best interests - and if they can't do that, for whatever reason, then no-one will want to work with them for any great length of time.

Most people, on the whole, do not know what they're getting themselves into anyway. It's not that they're stupid it's just that we need a reason to even ask a question about something.

What do you think selling phones is about?​

Well, I'm not sure, tell me: will we be dealing with any elephants?​

Ridiculous isn't it? But that's because you know enough about the job to exclude elephants from consideration. If you were going for a zoo-keeper position perhaps it would be more reasonable. We become aware of a very small set out of the possible range of questions; most of our reasoning goes on subconsciously.

We need at times to pause and reflect - to have mental stop-signs where we change the labels we're using around and see what happens; whether the content of our thoughts changes. You can become aware of your subconscious premises by changing what depends on them and seeing whether they can still support it. Swapping words around in peoples sentences is incredibly useful if you can do it while you're talking to them.

You need enough information to ask the right questions; that's the different between calculation and intelligence: Asking the right questions - mapping out what you don't know.

But I digress. It's hard to keep staff when the staff don't know what the job is; the leader will get lots of people who just don't share interests with them, or are looking for some sort of authority or recognition rather than the job. It's hard to work with people when you're both going in different directions.

8. OP
    Floris

Floris I'm just me :) Hi. Staff Member

Threads:
    Even if you take members from the community free or paid, their life simply changes, school, work, girlfriend, health, etc. It all changes either in a month from now or in 12. It's very hard. Unless the person gets paid a year salary and the site is what they do 24/7 .. finding good staff has proven to be so hard.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice