Welcome to OMG boards community!
Community of friends where we talk about daily life, offtopic stuff, and what keeps us busy.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

Do you "analyze" already existing books?

Discussion in 'Awesome Media' started by Pyro, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Pyro

Pyro OMG Member

Do you "analyze" already existing books?

I was wondering if anyone here looks at books that have already been written to look at the style of writing that's used. I recently flipped through The Eye of the World to see how Robert Jordan, the author, introduces dialogue in his writing. It's quite interesting. Do any of you do anything like that or am I just weird? :)

2. Madigan

Madigan OMG Member

Absolutely!:)
    If I'm reading a book that turns out being so so, then I'll analyse where it might have been turned around and improved. If it a book I greatly enjoy, then I'll read it thru once to enjoy the story, then reread it a second time analysing it...dissecting if of sorts...How the author introduces dialog, how he begins and ends his chapters, the POV used, etc...I try to learn from each great book I read.

3. Christopher

Christopher OMG Member

I do, too. I love to see different writing styles, looking at other peoples work always gives some insight.

4. Davidk

Davidk OMG Member

Haha!

I thought I was the only one who did that. I own over 50 star wars books, and out of them, I really only like 4-6 authors styles of writing. My favorite is James Luceno, Michael Stackpole, Shane Dix, Greg Keyes, Timothy Zahn, and a few others. But you can really pinpoint the author by the style.

5. Diana Notacat

Diana Notacat OMG Member

I find myself doing this ALOT latly... Only, most of my reads are cheesy romance novels. Teehee! It's been rather handy picking up little trade tricks about random things like chapters or scene setup, too...

6. Davidk

Davidk OMG Member

Most definately.

7. freeflow

freeflow OMG Member

book discussion

I also will frequently re-read a book - the first time to enjoy it, the second time to analyse it. Diana Gabaldon wrote that enormous 5 book series, starting with the Outlander. I read them 3 times. She has an extraordinary way of telling a story so that the reader can visualize it as if they were there. She doesn't neccesarily go into lengthy descriptions, but will write things of such insignificance, such as a character talking while shoveling food into his mouth. She makes the visual "pop". The reader knows this is an intense conversation that needs saying despite manners about eating with one's mouth full. The reader knows that the person to whom the character is talking to is getting sprayed with crumbs, as is the character's shirt. It is insignificant to the story, but gives it a flow that is very natural. You have to understand that these books are each 1000 pages or more, so a lot of the insignificant stuff is just filler, but without it, the story would be rather drab.

I really enjoy being able to sit down with someone and hashing over a good book. It often makes for stimulating debate. The one author I can't stand, but have read for lack of any other reading material is my daughter's books by V.C. Andrews. OH MY GOD! They are soooo bad. They all pretty much have the same plot line, but the abuse of analogies and similies is screamingly painful! I end up speed-reading over those paragraphs (there are a lot of them) as soon as I see the words ....like a.... SKIP! Just to get a good groan, you should pick one up - they are a dime a dozen at any used book store. Then we can have a laugh together. You'll have to laugh at how bad they are!

8. OP
    Pyro

Pyro OMG Member

I'll have to check one of those out for laughs sometime if they're as bad as you say they are, although I still have a massive queue line of books to be read :)

9. zero

zero OMG Member

Analyze a thompson book.

It will trip you out

10. freeflow

freeflow OMG Member

next time I'm at the library I'll look for it

11. Echo

Echo OMG Member

You are not the only person to do it MidnightPyro, and this "exercise" is actually recommended by the creative writing course I am taking at the moment.

I never thought of it myself to be honest, I should work on my critical analysis capacities a little harder. And also be critical about my own writing a little more. I tend to be a care free reader, but that doesn't make a good writer...

Thanks for the reminder!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice