Do You Play a Musical Instrument?

Bluebird

OMG Member
Do You Play a Musical Instrument?

Does anyone play music?

I've never been able to read music, and it just confuses me trying to :silly:, but I play bass well enough. My dad is a fantastic bass player so I got his old guitars and taught myself.

Aussie

OMG Member
Re: Do You Play a Musical Instrument?

I used to play Clarinet. I had a scholarship for it in highschool. But part of the scholarship was singing, and by the time I got to year 10 and had to go to senior chorale, I was well and truly over singing. They used to make us get up and sing a song in letter names with solfa handsigns on the spot in front of 300 other students! Way too nerveracking for me. So I dropped that and havent really picked up my clarinet again, Im not even sure where it is!

With the scholarship tho, I did learn basics for most orchestra instruments, not that I remember now! I can play the piano if you put sheet music in front of me but I havent done it for a long while.

DrusillaRox

OMG Member

I took keyboard lessons. I've forgotten most of it. But i still remember one song

Nix

Just a little crazy!!
Staff member

I used to play guitar as a kid, but thats about it. I'm not really musical.

I played the trombone when I was younger....I didn't really pick it, but I wanted to be in the band (geeksta!) and that was the instrument they had available. I used to sing a lot too, and I do okay on a piano at times... but these days, I try to work on my guitar hero skills :p

Akitta21

OMG Member

I've always wanted to play the guitar. I'm still trying to learn, but, afraid I'm not that good. :( I'm starting to believe I have two left hands :shame: But, I'm not losing hope. Playing the guitar really relaxes me.
I would also love to learn how to play the violin and the piano. I've always been fascinated by these instruments. :o

Lou

OMG Member

I used to be able to play the clarinet, but never well. I can read music and occasionally can punch out a tune on the piano, but not WELL, just enough for you to know what the song is.

[action=Dlou444]goes to show you with Jingle Bells.[/action]

Lady Thor

OMG Member

I started piano lessons 13 years ago. Took 2 years of violin. Problem with violin is that my pinkie finger is about as wide as the neck of a violin. I can barely reach an eighth on the piano. I still love piano though, and I'm slowly saving up for a digital piano... so I don't have to worry about getting it tuned. ;)

Cannot play by ear, but can play with sheet music. Am a little rusty now though.

I *really* wanna learn harp... well, I have messed around with a key harp, but I want a pedal harp so I don't have to "worry" about sharps and flats. ;)

Also should practice singing. I have the capability, but I just need to take some more time to actually train my ear. :P

Dude111

Premium Member
I used to play the drums in 4th grade.

It was OK,i had fun doing it but i got tired of doing it and bailed just before a concert we were giving... (I stuck with it for almost the whole year)

Onimua

OMG Member
Flute's my first instrument, but I've recently moved to guitar and staring at piano next. :D

echo234

OMG Member
Want to try the piano!

I learnt the veena for a month or more. It was too painful to stretch along with the fingers tightly pressed over the strings. But I have always wanted to try the piano since my school days.

Onimua

OMG Member
echo234;255861 said:
I learnt the veena for a month or more. It was too painful to stretch along with the fingers tightly pressed over the strings. But I have always wanted to try the piano since my school days.
That's the only aspect of playing piano that scares me; I love my fingers exactly how they are right now! lol

Psykka

OMG Member
I'm playing guitar right now :p

I play Guitar, bass and piano (I suck at all of em though :p)

I'd really love to be able to play violin though.

Nix

Just a little crazy!!
Staff member
I used to play when I was a kid but not anymore. I love a guy that can play the guitar or piano though :)

prasanth5

OMG Member
I have learned to play the lute or the Indian veena. It is a stringed instrument that gives beautiful notes when played properly. I am desperately trying to keep in touch with the instrument.

jwpowers5

OMG Member
I currently play classical and jazz trombone (jazz ftw). I also play marching baritone. Took 1.6ish years of piano before I dropped it (didn't practice and I still don't practice... I know shame on me...)

Nix

Just a little crazy!!
Staff member
I still don't play but my kid is learning the guitar now in private lessons in school, just so she can catch up with the rest then she moves into the group lessons after Easter.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
I'd love to play the drums, and I have been trying to play a couple of times on the drums of a family member. But it just felt too awkward, .. it didn't feel natural to me at all. Against my expectations. Huge bummer. And I still play the guitar. As poorly as I do, but I do it. It is an instrument that feels natural to me and I enjoy it. My neighbours don't like it, but, .. and I might play at 3 am sometimes, but ..