Welcome to OMG boards community!
Community of friends where we talk about daily life, offtopic stuff, and what keeps us busy.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

Half-Life Black Mesa

Discussion in 'Gaming Zone' started by Tricorder, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

Threads:
    Formerly known as Black Mesa: Source. This is a mod for Half-Life 2. It's supposed to be a remake of an original Half-Life game which, as everyone who played it know, took place at the Black Mesa research facility. Mod was scheduled to come out at some point during the 2009, but for some reason (*cough* lazy developers *cough* :p ), it's not out yet.

Let's take a look at these two videos. First video shows how Half-Life originally looked (with the high definition pack installed; it comes with Blue Shift expansion pack and makes characters and weapons look better). Second video shows the same thing, only in Source engine, which the mod uses.

Let's take a look at some screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks great to me. Alas, due to Steam forcing 'always on' scheme, I haven't played Half-Life 2 yet nor do I own it, so I can forget about this mod as well. :(

Unless someone knows some dirty trick how to play Half-Life 2 without being connected to the Internet and is willing to share it with me. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mikey

Mikey :mikey: Staff Member

Threads:
    this should be fun. @Tricorder you should be able to disable Steams always online thing with a setting "Play offline" or something..

3. OP
    Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

Threads:
    Really? It's possible to play Half-Life 2 without being connected to the Internet? All this time I was under the impression that Internet connection is required to play the game. Wherever I looked, everyone claimed it's impossible to play it offline. Can anyone confirm this, some Steam user, perhaps?

EDIT: I did some research and found this: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-AGCB-2555

Can anyone confirm that the method described there works for Half-Life 2? I would like to play the game, but I don't want to waste my money on it if it can't be played offline, assuming I can even find it anywhere anymore.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2012
  4. Fetter

Fetter More fun than a barrel of STDs

Threads:
    I've been waiting for this for years. Also I believe this mod will be compatible with any game that uses the source engine. Could be wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  5. OP
    Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

Threads:
    That would be nice. A mod that can be installed on more than one game. I remember reading about something like that in a computer magazine years ago, something about a flight simulator add-on that can be installed on several flight simulator games from the same developer. I can't remember the name(s) of the game(s), though.

6. Mikey

Threads:
    Step 1: Buy it on STEAM and let it download. This may take a while.

Step 2: Follow the steps in that guide. It should work, I have gone into offline mode before..

It's worth it though :) I've only just recently started playing HL2, so I'm enjoying it immensely.

7. OP
    Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

Threads:
    Not an option for me. I don't trust the Internet nor people in general enough to buy anything online. Also, my limited bandwidth doesn't allow me to download entire games, especially not something so large like Half-Life 2.

I kinda wish I bought the game when it was available at stores here. Maybe they still have some old copy of The Orange Box buried somewhere. Gonna take a look next time I visit the stores that sell computer games.

Does it hurt when you go into offline mode and come out of it? :p

8. Mikey

Threads:
    That sucks. I would've gifted it you if i could, I think it's only like a fiver, but if you can't download it there's no point.

9. OP
    Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

Threads:
    You can always buy me that keyboard for blonds if you want to give me a present. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. MhiefCaster

MhiefCaster Lord Mhief of Mhieferton

Threads:
    I thought I read somewhere that this mod got canceled a while ago...

11. Mikey

Threads:
    sometimes i doubt your gender :p
    I mean, whenever I'm sure you're either a guy or a girl you go and warp my perspective. I know, I know, I said warp.

Make it so.

12. Fetter

Fetter More fun than a barrel of STDs

Threads:
    Wait, is Tricorder a girl??? This could change my perception of life, the universe, and everything.

Dammit Mikey, now you've got me doing it. :help:

13. OP
    Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

Threads:
    Really? Where? Any chance you could show it to us? It would be ashame if this mod got (or gets) canceled. Half-Life is one of the best games I have ever played and I'm still hoping to play the sequel some day.

:p

[​IMG]
    Excuse me! Tricorders are scanning devices and as such have no gender. Kthxbai. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2013
  14. Mikey

Threads:
    THATS THE ANSWER YOU ALWAYS GIVE

15. OP
    Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

Threads:
    I know. ;)

Let's take a trip down the memory lane:

Good stuff. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  16. OP
    Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

Threads:
    So apparently, the mod is almost ready to be released. It's scheduled to come out at September 14. The main page has a nifty counter which counts the remaining time down, showing exactly how much time is left until release. Check it out:

http://blackmesasource.com/

However, according to their official update, the mod will be released unfinished. Part of the game that takes place at the alien world known as Xen will be released separately at the later time.

Seems kinda stupid to me. Why releasing the game before it's all finished? Why splitting it into two parts? Okay, they say Xen is going to be "well expanded", but why? I don't like it. I mean, if they're making a remake of an already existing game, shouldn't they try to stick to the original as much as possible? Changing some minor bits and / or adding a few details here and there is fine as long as it doesn't do too much "damage" (so to say). I'm sure someone will like and appreciate the extra effort the developers are putting into the mod, but I'd prefer if they kept things simple and just remade the game as it was without tampering with the level design too much.

For the end of this post, have a gameplay video showing the part of On A Rail level:

Soldiers don't talk to each other over the radio while standing next to each other like they did in the original game, but rather talk normally. Their voices sound kinda weird, but it's more realistic that way.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2012
  17. OP
    Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

Threads:
    It's out. The mod has been released. Link for everyone's clicking pleasure: http://release.blackmesasource.com/

Pick one of the download mirrors and grab it while it's still fresh out of the oven. Or don't. It's up to you. :p

Here are some screenshots which I shamelessly ripped off from another forum:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Mikey

Threads:
    Have you played it yet tricorder? Is it any good?

19. OP
    Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

Threads:
    As I understand, having Half-Life 2 or some other Source engine based game (like Portal) is required to play this mod. I don't have anything. I do have the original Half-Life installed (both expansion packs included), so I can always (re)play those if I feel like.

From what I've read elsewhere, those who have started playing it and shared their experiences so far speak very positively about it.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2012
  20. HornedDemoN

HornedDemoN OMG Member

Threads:
    I finished it a few weeks ago and overall I was very impressed. The graphics are just what you would expect from the Source engine - mindblowingly awesome. Gameplay is still amazingly fun although the soldiers a lot harder to kill. The soundtrack is impressive and... great game as a whole. I just wish they released the Xen levels as well...

21. OP
    Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

Threads:
    Soldiers are harder to kill? What do you mean by that? Are they tougher in a sense of needing more bullets to take them down or smarter and better survivors when compared to their counterparts from the original Half-Life?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2012
  22. HornedDemoN

HornedDemoN OMG Member

Threads:
    I think both, actually. They are more aggressive and harder to avoid than in the original Half-Life. I think it provides a better challenge, but sometimes it can get extremely difficult to advance. Not a bad change as a whole, but could prove to be an annoyance for some individuals.

23. OP
    Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

Threads:
    Like the soldiers in the original Half-Life weren't aggressive enough, they made them even more aggressive now. Games are supposed to be fun, not frustrating, but that doesn't seem to always be the case.

24. HornedDemoN

HornedDemoN OMG Member

Threads:
    ^ Well, I would say that Half-Life's amazing storyline is enough of a reason to keep pushing through. And besides, I think you can still alter the difficulty in Black Mesa. Also, cheats. Yeah, might lessen the excitement, but worth it if the soldiers get too annoying.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice