Welcome to OMG boards community!
Community of friends where we talk about daily life, offtopic stuff, and what keeps us busy.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

Hello All, hope you can help!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Drayu, May 11, 2006.

1. Drayu

Drayu OMG Member

Hello All, hope you can help!

Hey all,

I am brand new to VBulletin, and I have a few questions I hope you can help me with. Is there a difference between skin, style, and template? I am trying to find a good skin(?) for our forums, but I am confused as to what each is. I also would love to create/modify my own and was wondering if there were basic tutorials to start with.

Once again, thank you to all who can offer any help, it is GREATLY appreciated!

Drayu

2. Robert

Robert OMG Member

Re: Hello All, hope you can help!

Well, skins and styles are one in the same. But templates are a little different. They are the nuts and bolts that hold the html which is called when vB wants to make a page.

3. OP
    Drayu

Drayu OMG Member

Ok, thanks man! So, if I was to create my own skin then I would have to use a template to do it, correct?

If I wanted to use a skin but alter it somehow, I would have to alter the skin, (providing that is legal to do) correct?

I really appreciate all the help! I am very interested in coming up to speed on VB!!!

Thank you all again!

4. Robert

Robert OMG Member

Well, you can create a new skin simply by altering the CSS file and customising the colours.

Most skins have several template changes too, as that makes them look very nifty, so you would ideally need a combination of both CSS and template changes.

As for altering a new skin, it is the same as making your own. So you would need to alter templates and the CSS file.

Generally there are no restrictions on altering new skins, with the exception that you need to keep the skin creators copyright notice on. :)

5. OP
    Drayu

Drayu OMG Member

Great! THanks for the info! Now, the next step :) Any place with some great tutorials on how to get started :) ?

6. OP
    Drayu

Drayu OMG Member

Anyone have any ideas?

7. ulric

ulric Guest

As far as i know there arent any tut's on skinning for vb. Its all trial and error :)

8. tutusinghsohi

tutusinghsohi OMG Member

:(
    does anyone know how to make skins?!?!?!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice