Welcome to OMG boards community!
Community of friends where we talk about daily life, offtopic stuff, and what keeps us busy.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

How do you use the Notices system on your forum?

Discussion in 'Manage your Site' started by Floris, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Floris

Floris I'm just me :) Hi. Staff Member

Threads:
    How do you use the Notices system on your forum?

You can add a notice in the top, to usergroups, dates, forums, etc. And you can use them for various means.

Don't forget;

You can have stickies and announcements, but check them against usergroups. Don't put a sticky in a forum where users can only read their own threads.

Additionally.

If a forum has a few stickies and a few announcements, you don't compress this all into 1 huge notice. You can have an orange or yellow notice pop up there so it gets attention, which is a one time view, dismissible, and can say: Don't forget to read our sticky threads! <1 phrase what they are about here>.

The great thing about notices is that they can be per forum, per usergroup, etc. And therefor are great little tools to enhance your community. And very diverse.

You can use it to have moderator links for staff users only.
    While it invites guests to consider signing up.
    Or point out to new users with 0 posts, that there's an introduction forum.
    And if you have a premium usergroup for people with 100+ posts, you could point out to them when they have 50 posts, that they're halfway there to a free premium membership.

Heck, you can even use it for custom advertisements.

2. Vilandra

Vilandra OMG Member

Threads:
    I've not used them yet, but I'm going to start using them to alert our users to activities that are happening at a certain date or time.

3. Vilandra

Vilandra OMG Member

Threads:
    OMG so my attempt at using the notices bombed. Apparently the criteria are not AND they are OR. So you can't do TIME and DATE only Time or Date. Grrrrr. It's like promotions all over again.

4. skhms

skhms OMG Member

Threads:
    That's weird, they are supposed to be AND. All checked criterias must match for a notice to show.
    Did a quick check and if I select "The date is..." and "The time is between...". The notice only shows on the selected date between the two times.

Not sure how to make a notice show between 11 pm one day to 1 am the next day though...

/SK

5. _melody_

_melody_ OMG Member

Threads:
    We use notices to guide people through the process of getting started on our board. (As they post more, they are able to see more areas on the board, and gain more privileges.) We also use them to alert people changes we make, and to upcoming events.

6. Vilandra

Vilandra OMG Member

Threads:
    Yeah that's what I thought too, but when I set it up users started seeing it the whole day. *shrugs*

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice