I tried something new on Instagram

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
I tried something new on Instagram, and it's so not me. But, it's fun to do and I was in the mood for it.

My instagram by the way is: https://www.instagram.com/mrfloris/

Normally I don't really focus on editing pictures too much when it comes to Instagram, or to play the whole game of telling the audience what to do. I feel that if they scroll through pictures and see something they like, they will either enjoy it, like it, or perhaps leave a comment. Maybe follow me, interact and we become friends. If not, no big deal. I am who I am, and I aim at the most to take nice to great pictures that I like, and I like to share with the world (by the way, loads of them, I do not because I keep them for a library I am building, or for print and personal reasons).

Screen Shot 2017-04-07 at 15.54.14.png

But the last week I have been trying out the Instagram features like Multiple, Story, and Call to Action. As many - many - many, many do. It's not really my thing, but, still.

I've loaded a few pictures that I took and added them in the multiple thingy, so you have to swipe to see more. This has a few pros and cons, one being that the picture is a square (maybe in the future they allow widescreen etc.)

And I have put a few up where I basically tell what to do (in a friendly manner), like double-tap this, or swipe to ..

I also tend to not overuse #hashtags, but this week I have been trying to just over-use them a tiny bit.

Just to see what the response is, the interaction, if it makes a difference, and if I am happy with it.

Screen Shot 2017-04-07 at 15.54.43.png

The little [ []] icon etc should disclose which ones are multiple ones that require an interaction, and the text is obvious. In the app there's a bit more to see obviously.

I think it improves on a few levels, but you compromise on a few other levels, when it comes to photography. But how serious do you (me) want to take Instagram photography?

Looking forward to hearing a few opinions as to what you think of this, or Instagram as a whole.

Anyway, as you can see here, it's a picture clearly made to call for that happy feeling that the nice Spring weather awakes in us, and a direct call for action by asking to double-tap to start Spring.

Screen Shot 2017-04-07 at 16.03.40.png

And these two pictures are clearly edited for composite and their own actions. Kitty is sleepy, and then when you pet her, she gives you attention and a little heart is there - indirectly saying "share the <3 and double tap" and provoke another action. The pictures were originally widescreen and not so soft, and had no text, not made for a square or to be swiped. But this is friendly, it's provoking a happy feeling and targeted at cat-lovers on Instagram. But of course it takes away from the quality of the picture. The detail, the HDR effect, and the brightness gets replaced by noise in the picture.

Screen Shot 2017-04-07 at 16.03.10.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-07 at 16.03.23.png

It's hard to explain in a few paragraphs what I mean with what I try to do here, or why. And how I use it to move forward. I like Instagram as a hobby, it's one of the handful of items in my workflow for my photography hobby. The "these are nice" pictures that I don't keep for the library and are okay to share with the world lend themselves perfectly fine for Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. Where I just share what I might be up to today, or what's going on with me (or my kitty, horses, etc).

It's also a platform, but mainly for the advertisers, for the rest of us, it's just a means to an end, a social network where we share pictures of our selfies, our food, our travels, and our pets.

Just trying to spice it up to see how that's received. And overthinking it a tiny bit too much perhaps.

Last edited: