Welcome to OMG boards community!
Community of friends where we talk about daily life, offtopic stuff, and what keeps us busy.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

Is Bioware doing things with Guilds

Discussion in 'The OMG Archives' started by Darth_Hrukk, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Darth_Hrukk

Darth_Hrukk Galactic Fetus

I haven't seen anything on it but do you think that guild will get there own base or ship that only guildies will be able to use, also post any other ideas on what should happen or what guilds should get

2. Maral Dimor

Maral Dimor I Wanna Polka.

its an interesting idea but I don't think bioware will do that until the game gets established and running

3. TeHpUmKinKiNg

TeHpUmKinKiNg OMG Member

Well, I can't say guilds are going to get their own base or ship, but I do know that Bioware is going to pay special attention to the guilds.

4. Sindorin

Sindorin People Know Me

I would certainly hope so. It would be sweet to have a Guild Ship :)

5. Asteldian

Asteldian I Wanna Polka.

Guilds will definately have some house/ship, I wouldexpect them to go with a ship as that is pretty cool, but either way there will be something. I know it is silly of me saying 'defiantely' when nothing has really been mentioned, but in this day and age EVERY MMO has guild buildings and that is now an expected part of MMOs and something that no one will go backwards with. Everquest 1 gives you a guild hall, EQ2 gives a hall you can upgrade, Vanguard gives you a guild hall, LOTRO does it, I am sure WoW does it.

The real question is what can you do with it? Will your guild have lvls? Certain quests give xp to the guild and it lvls up, the higher it is the more options you have (like in EQ2), if it is a ship will you get to buy bigger, better ones as your guild gains lvls?

6. Saenjaina

Saenjaina I Have A Spork!

Well, the biggest MMORPG the world will ever know doesn't have it (yet). Uhm, and the game is ~5 years old now. It would be pointless to implement now, unless a whole system of awards etc. followed, since guilds have been around ever since it launched.

I would be happy to see it implemented in SWTOR, but I have my doubts. Well, I've been playing WoW for 5 years, so it kind of influences my judgement.

7. Rain

Rain OMG Member

It would be more than sweet! I hope to see some guild features in the game, but something like a Guild Ship would own :D

8. Sindorin

Sindorin People Know Me

Well on the flip side of this, is that they want this game to be as distinctly different as possible when compared to World of Warcraft. Things that may be common (or uncommon in this instance) may be added or taken away. So I would not say that because WoW does not have it, it is unlikely that TOR won't.

9. Saenjaina

Well, I'm sure that they will choose one thing or the other, on the basis of how it fits into the game's structure, and not whether competing MMORPGs have it or not. That's usually the way Bioware goes about it, and it sounds like that as well, from all those interviews and developer diaries, etc.

10. spauldingdragon

spauldingdragon Galactic Fetus

Guid houses and ships would be cool, but for those of you who have or do play EVE online know that it can be a big pain in the shebs to buy all the guild structures and the capital ships. I've been playing WoW for a couple years now and it not having a guild house or such doesn't impact my likeing of the game at all.

Although if TOR made some sort of guild hall or ship for us that would be pretty sweet as long as it wasn't a near impossiblity like in EVE to get. It's one thing to have massive upgrades to purchase but to just get a basic building on like say an inner rim world and have it be super expense would suck unless it came with those massive upgrades already.

11. Sindorin

Sindorin People Know Me

I don't know. I've never really been about instant gratification. I think it would give people something to work for and root out a lot of the zerg guilds.

12. spauldingdragon

spauldingdragon Galactic Fetus

Instant gratification and a job well done are the focal points of most video games. I don't mind the grind or working at something if there's at least something attainable at the end. Be it for the whole guild or personal gain.

13. Saenjaina

I agree that the EVE concept would be a little too harsh. It works well in the context of EVE. It is more or less a simulation. Some people will always be better and richer than you.

That's not the concept in typical fantasy games like WoW. Things should be attainable. It just boils down to how hard things are to attain. As long as one feels that one has worked hard in order to get there.

14. Xecuter96

Xecuter96 I Heart FOTOR :hugs:

Even though we know nothing about guilds a guy in the swtor community forums had this idea:

Keogan-

I think what should be done is this: The guild hall is sort of instanced, as in it is placed on a designated PvP planet or area of space. The guild hall can only be accessed by the members of that guild, however it could be attacked by enemy factions. This could be done in 2 ways, A) The guild hall is fully instanced and has a Guild versus Guild match set up where you enter a wait line and are automatically connected to an enemy guild. B) The planet you are on would have designated "war times" each day/weekend where your planet is open to be attacked like Lineage 2 seige times.

The guild hall should be enable to have customizations such as: Building blaster turrets, force fields, NPC bodygurads like lineage 2 had who would defend the guild hall during a fight, power generator backs and other defensive objects. Also there should be decorative options for guild halls, for example making an emblem and choosing where it appears, laying down furniture and other objects simply to make it look nicer. Perhaps a crafter toon could make furniture? You should also be able to purchase NPC's that could offer services such as repairing objects, purchasing a ship hanger where guild members could dock, a medic that offered healing items or services during a fight. A Mercenary captain who would let you recruit mercenaries from all over the universe, a weapon and armor crafter who would get a random shipment of weapons every week, sometimes being exceptionally good equipment, and others being very poor. Another key aspect that a guild hall MUST have to create a balanced player based economy is a NPC "Marketer" who would create an auction system that would allow trade between all other players who have access to an auction hall. there is more and more i could say...

Guild halls...destructible? If it was a guild wars GvG system, would the terrain be destructible, for example if I was a trooper and launched a few grenades into the ramparts of an opponents defense that people are hiding behind, would it eventually be blown off?

Seige Equipment:

If a guild is to attacked a guild hall that has the ability to purchase defensive items, so should an attacker have the ability to by offensive tools. Perhaps opposing players land in a mobile base that has sections that could be upgraded to attach such as medical facility, artillery station, and a command beacon. The match will end when the base commander is killed for the defenders, or when the communication beacon is destroyed for the offensive side. Back to topic, offending party should be able to bring things like "paint guns" which would target an area (such as a choke point or a turret) that the ship that brought them there could target and bombard every 5 minutes or something. Artillery could also be brought down but must be assembled on the ground and requires a cool down. Vehicles should also be an option since it may help outside the guild hall, but be completely useless once inside the hall.

Another Idea to be take from guild wars:

Guilds should be able to purchase towns, or rather IMO, a guild hall should slowly expand by first having guild members building homes and possibly setting up stores with NPCs to handle their items to be sold and buy. The more advanced the guild hall the more buildings it can support, at this point the guild could choose to allow other players access to the city, this would help guild leaders to receive a revenue to maintain and advance the guild hall. This could be done by initially charging to grant people a guest status, or by selling plots of land for people to live there from out of guild (such as allies). Then monthly or daily a set amount should be delivered to the guild leader automatically and a certain set percentage (set by guild leader) of all items sold should be delivered to a guild revenue.

Note: before i get into guild hall ideas listen to this. Capital ships is a 'no', here is why. A capital ship would be a mobile base that SHOULD in all fairness be a vessel that could be attacked and destroyed by an enemy vessel, and when everyone logs off what does it disappear? That is a major bug, though I do think it is a very cool idea. Capital Ships should be a PvP option not a GvG. That being said, I think Capital ships should be purchased and or built in guild halls that have purchased the max level, or a very high level of an add on called a "ship yard" this would allow the larger, wealthier guilds to create the ultimate battle cruisers that would require multiple players to operate. Of course NPCs could be purchased to aid in the operation of the ship. A guild hall would also need a "docking bay" where the ship could land when officers and guild leader log off, the ship will auto-travel to the guild hall and await another officer to take command. if you disagree please discuss, I hope bioware checks this website and gets an idea from our conversation.

Guild hall ideas:

Cantina

Fortress:

-Jabba the Hutt style

-Yavin IV style rebel base from "a new hope"

- A military Bunker

Base:

- Hoth, a underground layer with a single or duo entrance

- A military bunker similar to the one on Endor from "The return of the jedi"

- A Wookie like village

- A Ewok tree hut network

Temple:

- Jedi temple on corrustant

- Sith temple from KOTOR on Korriban

- Sith temple from KOTOR II on the moon of Orin

- Jedi Council from KOTOR on...that planet.

Space Station:

- Asteroid Mining colony (more open and free formed)

- Asteroid military facility (more constricted with tighter defences but less room to operate)

- Orbital Defense platform

- Deep Space docking station

- Science Facility

Not the most descriptive of ideas, but a general idea, please discus any points I know I wrote a lot...

These are some pretty good ideas he had i think

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice