Welcome to OMG boards community!
Community of friends where we talk about daily life, offtopic stuff, and what keeps us busy.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

Jedi Trials!

Discussion in 'SWTOR Discussion' started by Nelson_MD, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Nelson_MD

Nelson_MD I Heart FOTOR :hugs:

Threads:
    [​IMG]
    Every one knows that the Jedi held specific trials for apprentices wishing to rise within the order to the rank Jedi Knight, and as all of you who keep up with SW:TOR news know. Bioware plans to have a lot of things in the game that will allow for full submersion into the Star Wars Universe, which is what we all want...right?

So, I decided to do this arcticle after I saw the at the SW:TOR site this morning, and after seeing Ki Adi Mundi's request to do a subject like this! So here I am, ready to serve the TORBB community!

Jedi Knight Video

So, as all of you guys can see from the Image below, the Jedi in question does not yet fully have a lightsaber, he is carrying some sort of training saber, that will cause

damage, but not as much as a Jedi can. Which brings us to the question, why doesn't he have a lightsaber like all Jedi should.

[​IMG]
    Well, the answer is pretty simple, based off of the KOTOR game, after arriving on Dantooine, you begin your "trials" to gain your lightsaber. But that is years before The Old Republic game is set. The fact of the matter is, Bioware has created a new way for the trials to take place, which we all know is very possible because as the Jedi Order has progressed, they have changed the way they train apprentices.

Like for example, after the Battle Of Russan, the Jedi changed the way the trained their apprentices after seeing the onslaught that the Sith brought to their front door step.

While we can assume that the basic outline of the Trails exist such as the Knowledge of the Jedi Code, and training against other enemies and not other apprentices at the academy, we can assume that (based off of the picture below), that the Jedi have set up a "temple" with something like a workbench for the Jedi to reach after fighting numerable enemies to get there. In which, after reaching the destination, he can set is training saber down, and create his Lightsaber!

[​IMG]
    You can also see from this image, the Droid , the Jedi Knights companion character throughout the game. Basically meaning that we can infer that the Jedi is allowed to have companions during his trials. And that the Jedi gets his first companion very soon in the game. Which we can hope is the same for all classes!

T7-O1

As most of us know, the Jedi trails were arranged in sets of five, and were the Trial of Skill, the Trial of Courage, the Trial of the Flesh, the Trial of Spirit, and the Trial of Insight. All of them were meant to test the abilities of a Jedi in training.

Now, according to Daniel Erickson in an interview about the Jedi Knight,

Instead of doing any of your Jedi Trials, you have to go off and save Tython -- fight bad guys and all that.​

But while the Jedi Knight does not officially go through the Trials, you can tell that he is being assessed by the council. They are not just going to give a Jedi his lightsaber without any training. Which is exactly why I think that Bioware put the place where the Jedi is able to create his lightsaber in the wilderness of Tython. It is a test for the Jedi Knight to see if they are worthy, even if it is not considered an actual trial.

But, even after Tython, the Jedi Council still sends the Knight to different places that would simulate the Trials, but once again, they are not "officially" the Trials that we know as today. As you can see by the picture:

[​IMG]

Below is a list of what we know to be true about the Jedi Trials in SW:TOR!

[​IMG]

The Jedi Knight Does not have "Trials".
    The Jedi Knight "simulates" the Trials by going around and helping the people on Tython according to Daniel Erickson.
    The Jedi Knight was going to do the Jedi Trials, but was interrupted during the conversation with his master.

[​IMG]

The Jedi Consular will have to face the Trials
    The Jedi may be able to eventually do the trials
    The Trials will not be held solely on Tython, but on Couscant as well
    The Jedi Trials will somewhat be the same as the Five Trials that we know today in the Star Wars universe!
    And last but not least, that Companion characters are allowed during the trials if there is a way to actually take them!

Hopefully this has shed some light on the Jedi Trials aspect of the two Jedi Classes, though it seems that I was more focused on the Jedi Knight, because it seems to me that not very many people as about the Jedi Consular to the Developers of the game...sorry! :unsure(1):

But I hoped that you all liked it, and that I can get some feedback and conversation going in this thread! :smoke:

2. TheBBP

TheBBP Citizen of the Forum

Threads:
    Nice article. I do hope that the missions/tasks you are given do at least emulate the trials.

3. OP
    Nelson_MD

Threads:
    Yeah, after reading what Daniel Erickson said, that is exactly what I thought too...I was looking forward to doing the trials...

I guess that it is okay if the missions that you do are freak'in awesome!

4. Kragger

Kragger Galactic Fetus

Threads:
    Nice work man.. Love it!

5. OP
    Nelson_MD

Threads:
    Thanks, I try to make it as good as it can be!

6. EwokJedi16

EwokJedi16 Galactic Fetus

Threads:
    Cool info. Nice

7. TeHpUmKinKiNg

TeHpUmKinKiNg OMG Member

Threads:
    One of the first quests you are given tests the spirit/insight. Another quest, not too far from that one, tests the courage/skill of the Jedi. I'm sure we'll have very compelling tests to endure on Tython.

8. TheBBP

TheBBP Citizen of the Forum

Threads:
    This is good news. That should make for a great personal story.

9. OP
    Nelson_MD

Threads:
    Yeah, while I don't plan on playing a Jedi Knight first, it is definitely not the last class that I will play as!

10. Jayden

Jayden I R Posting Machine

Threads:
    The quests Ki is referring to, at least I think, apply to both the consular and knight.

11. TeHpUmKinKiNg

TeHpUmKinKiNg OMG Member

Threads:
  12. OP
    Nelson_MD

Threads:
    Yeah, you are right, but I don't think that there will be many quests when their quests do line up, and I there will be a different experience for those who play as the consular vs. the knight!

13. Jayden

Jayden I R Posting Machine

Threads:
    Still, I think there will be pretty good tests for the Jedi. It's already shown we start off without lightsabers, and at some point build one.

14. OP
    Nelson_MD

Threads:
    Yeah...you have to build it somehow...That is the real test!

15. Draconek

Draconek Citizen of the Forum

Threads:
    It will make for a good story, I'm only a little disappointed that they couldn't have made it at least somewhat similar to how the Jedi were supposed to be trained, such as starting you off as a child, and training you over the years. I suppose that's a bit much to ask for a game like this, but if you look at all SW games in the past, the main characters training has always been complete shenanigans. It's a shame, really.

Either way, fantastic article. I really enjoyed the read!

16. OP
    Nelson_MD

Threads:
    Thanks, you are right though...I agree with you. It is always an adult who is an exception...it is getting old...But, we would never know unless they allowed you to have them...

17. TeHpUmKinKiNg

TeHpUmKinKiNg OMG Member

Threads:
    Here's some food for thought... The Jedi Knight we are shown has a Padawan thingie in his hair. This suggests he's still a teen, or very young adult. I wonder if our Jedi will age at all....

18. OP
    Nelson_MD

Threads:
    Oo...that is some good site you got goin'. That would be cool to have in the game!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice