Welcome to OMG boards community!
Community of friends where we talk about daily life, offtopic stuff, and what keeps us busy.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

Martial Arts

Discussion in 'The Sports Bar' started by Nix, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Nix

Nix Just a little crazy! Staff Member

Threads:
    Likes Gained:
    Has anyone here ever done any martial arts?

I did when I was younger. From the age of 15 - 22 I practised Karate. It was great for fitness, respect and confidence :D

2. Myster Dude

Myster Dude Trusted Member

Threads:
    Likes Gained:
    Eh. I tryed it. I guess you could say I went in white belt and came out white belt as well. I lost interest because you had to say "Ki-ya" when you kick and "who-wa" when you punch. Then that seemed a little rediculous, so I left.

3. Floris

Floris I'm just me :) Hi. Staff Member

Threads:
    Likes Gained:
    Fighting with my friends count? No? then no.

4. Chimpie

Chimpie OMG Member

Threads:
    Likes Gained:
    I did Taekwondo when I was younger.

5. Floris

Threads:
    Likes Gained:
    *remembers not to pick a fight with chimpie

6. Christopher

Christopher OMG Member

Threads:
    Likes Gained:
    I took karate when I was younger, for maybe 2-3 years.

7. Floris

Threads:
    Likes Gained:
    *looks at avatar* .. I can tell.

8. Heretic121

Heretic121 OMG Member

Threads:
    Likes Gained:
    So did I :D I only got to er... yellow belt I think. I don't remember why I stop going o.O

9. Nemmerle

Nemmerle OMG Member

Threads:
    Likes Gained:
    I practice a form of Wadō; a school of karate similar to some Chinese systems. As I've said before though: There's been so much cross breeding and decay of different systems that I don't think a broad name is particularly useful. What's being marketed as Krav Maga for instance looks nothing like what I remember being marketed under that name ten years ago.

What I do looks somewhat like this:

Well, parts of it do anyway. The idea that a single school represents a single style is somewhat odd since martial arts generally steal from each other. If you look at different katas you can quite clearly delineate different structures and forms of power transmission that are more or less suited to particular tasks. Seishan for instance is A) not one kata anymore - there's lots of stuff being taught under that name. And B) in the form I'm talking of, which is this one:

A very different flavour of movement to Kushanku.

Those things he's doing where he raises his forearm above his head? Not blocks by the way. I mean you can use them that way if you step off to the side as well, Western boxing had a similar concept in the lever block. - just dodge a bit and throw your arm up. Very effective, especially if you strike with the other hand at the same time. But equally you can use them to stick an elbow under someone's chin, or at an angle to expand and push through them.

Likewise that thing where he circles his arm across his body. Not necessarily a block.

Anyway, I digress. Kushanku:

You'll notice the latter's use of angles bears more resemblance to the blending/cutting methods of some Tai chi forms than it does to the, relatively, linear structures on display in Seishan.

It's like art really; you learn slightly different ways of shading and blend them together to get something you can use to do what you want.

Course because most people don't have much use for it it's very easy for the system to lose the prevalence of knowledge and skills, for different things to be taken from other systems to patch the teacher's understanding. for the teacher just to be a clueless yuppie. Saying you practice karate, or even a style of karate, really doesn't mean crap anymore unless you can show people what you mean or provide a reasonable description =p

10. Machida

Machida OMG Member

Threads:
    Likes Gained:
    I took Okinawan Karate when I was only 12 years old. It lasted just 3 months and then I quit. I got my yellow belt on that school but I found that fighting system is not practical in actual fight so I lost interest.