Welcome to OMG boards community!
Community of friends where we talk about daily life, offtopic stuff, and what keeps us busy.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

Mods and Performance

Discussion in 'Tech Talk & Web Things' started by Vilandra, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Vilandra

Vilandra OMG Member

Mods and Performance

So, I was wondering what people's opinions are on whether installed modifications (hacks) on your vb has a big impact on performance. Thoughts?

2. mlx

mlx OMG Member

It really depends. Most hacks will work just fine I guess, especially on a small forum.

On the other hand I remember a hack that added a bad query to the forum home. Most people wouldn't notice it, but installing it on our forum with like 500 concurrent users at peak times pretty much killed the server.

The solution was pretty easy. We optimized the query, added a new index. Everything's fine ever since. But it's definitely things like that you should keep an eye on, especially if you are running a big board.

3. OP
    Vilandra

Vilandra OMG Member

I'm not really lol, I just wondered cause I'm trying to get to the root of my max_user_connections problem and thought maybe it could be poorly written hacks.

4. Mikey

Mikey :mikey: Staff Member

That problem is cos you're on shared :) I have many mods installed on most of my sites, yet I notice no lag..

5. OP
    Vilandra

Vilandra OMG Member

Yeah, I know, I was just hoping :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice