My Roller Coaster Hobby

Onimua

OMG Member
My Roller Coaster Hobby

If anyone chats with me at length, they'd come to find I'm a person with a few hobbies, and just when you think you know them all, I often come up with something else.

My most recent acquisition has been roller coaster models; not just any kind but the best ones on the market at this time, Coaster Dynamix. Much like miniature train models, miniature buildings, etcetera, these models are simply roller coaster miniatures. Though they do seem steep in price, they are worth it, but you can also find them for slightly less at resellers or even on eBay sometimes.

The one I got was their newest model known as the Phoenix. I was always unsure about quality, mainly, but now I see why the prices are what they are. The ease of building the kit (this took about 4+ hours) was a big point, and to get it up and running was very fun. I lost track of time putting everything together really.

So anyway, on to pictures! This is what it looks like when it was sitting on the dining room table.

corkscrew.jpg

dispatch.jpg

loop.jpg

overview.jpg

side_view.jpg

station.jpg

You can see a working model of it

What's really great about these kits is that after you're done, and you get bored of it, you're not stuck with the same model. You can easily take it apart and build a completely different layout. A couple of examples are
and [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec2-TO0mjgs"]here[/ame].

If that's not enough, you can also purchase their floorless coaster kit and build something of a different nature, such as these

Some people go really far into creating something unique, such as this

I really can't wait to get my hand on a couple of expansion packs and see what comes of it. :D

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
The thing looks awesome. How does you mom feel about it taking up 50% of the dining table :p

Onimua

OMG Member
Actually, it's sitting on another counter in the kitchen. That's it's permanent spot now, which is fine by me. :D

Floris

Staff member
Today I am going to what we call a big boy toy store. I will keep an eye out for something like this myself.

Disjunto

OMG Member
that's awesome man, I've wanted one for ages, now I've heard your story of building one and I'm going to have to buy one.... or two... or three. That's my problem, I won't be able to stop :D

good job, and can't wait to see your first custom track :)

echo234

OMG Member
Interesting!

That's interesting. But it looks like that we need a lot of patience to buid it. I would like to try something interesting like this. I appreciate your passion for roller coaster.

Disjunto

OMG Member
Aww man, wanted to get the Scorpion one today, don't like the layout and lack of flexibility this one (Phoenix) has, but apparently they're currently out of production while they make some changes :( guess I'm waiting until I get my coaster

Floris

Staff member
Oni, you still have time to have this hobby? It seems quite time intensive, especially when they get to that scale.