Welcome to OMG boards community!
Community of friends where we talk about daily life, offtopic stuff, and what keeps us busy.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

NHL discussion

Discussion in 'The Sports Bar' started by Brian, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Brian

Brian OMG Member

Threads:
    Likes Gained:
    NHL discussion

Just thought we could use somewhere to talk about NHL throughout the regular season.

Well my Red Wings aren't doing too good at the moment, but there's plenty of season to go.

Who are some of your guys' favorite teams and who do you think has what it takes to make the Stanley Cup Finals?

2. antoreen

antoreen OMG Member

Threads:
    Likes Gained:
  3. PGen98

PGen98 OMG Member

Threads:
    Likes Gained:
    Excusing the fact that this topic is a little old (and having been registered for two years and not posting to this point), but now that I'm taking the time to look through the WeTalk network, I figured I'd chime in on one of my favourite sports!

I'm a Dallas Stars fan, myself...tough couple of years! Watching the final two games of Mike Modano's career (it's not official, no, but it's as close to it as you can get) was something extremely special. Such a shame to see Dallas losing out on three great players, or at least potentially losing three great players (definitely losing Turco, most likely losing Modano and potentially losing Lehtinen); however, the core of players that's come in over these past few seasons is phenomenal. Brad Richards, Loui Eriksson, James Neal, Jamie Benn, Mark Fistric, Niklas Grossman, Trevor Daley, Toby Petersen, Tom Wandell, Phillip Larsen (very high potential!) -- there is so much potential in that lineup it's hard not to get excited about next year. With Kari Lehtonen now the undisputed number 1 (still need a solid backup, though!) and Dallas looking to bring in a true #1 d-man (and hopefully ditching Mike Ribeiro), there's reason to believe Dallas will be back to their competitive position once again very soon.

With regards to the Playoffs -- I'm happy to see the Canadiens doing so well. It's great to see the underdog teams beating the big teams. Hopefully Crosby and the Pens will be the next team taking an early summer vacation :).

Anyway, thought I'd chime in and see if there's a hockey community here :)

Coming back to this, I'm fairly happy w/ Kari Lehtonen's contract extension. 3 years, $10.65 Million (works out at around 3.55 million/year). Some would argue it's high, given his health concerns; however, if he can play at a level anywhere near what he played this past season, then Dallas' new number one will have come at one hell of a bargain. Now it's just a case of what happens with the backup position, and where Turco ends up...plus Dallas still need a #1 d-man, a proper second line center (to replace Ribeiro, who HOPEFULLY will be moved this offseason), and some extra depth players, though Brandon Segal played a vital role last year as a $.5 million contract. One or two more of his ilk and the Stars may well be back where they were two years ago.

4. enzoo

enzoo OMG Member

Threads:
    Likes Gained:
    Anyone going for the Canadians here?
    Sad to see them beat the best team in the league then dethrone the defending champions only to be down 2-0 in the series against Philadelphia without even scoring a goal :(

5. PGen98

PGen98 OMG Member

Threads:
    Likes Gained:
    Of the remaining playoff teams, yeah, I'd like to see the Canadiens come back and win it. They've managed to overcome two amazing teams, so it would be a real shame to see them lose to the Flyers (even if Leighton is playing some amazing hockey). I'd hate to see the Flyers or Sharks take the cup, so as my Stars aren't in the race anymore, it's Go Habs Go for me :)