Welcome to OMG boards community!
Community of friends where we talk about daily life, offtopic stuff, and what keeps us busy.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

Off Topic Hut upgraded

Discussion in 'The OMG Archives' started by Mikey, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Mikey

Mikey :mikey: Staff Member

You may have noticed that Off Topic Hut has been upgraded.

I'm working on fixing issues as I notice them and I'm constantly tweaking the skin. I'm also going to have to upgrade a lot of the things which made OTH, well, OTH.

Give me time to fix it and I will and we'll be better than ever :)

Any problems, please post them here and I'll do my best to fix them.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

Smilies and YouTube videos posted before the upgrade aren't showing up anymore.

Attached images aren't showing up either.

Spoiler tags don't work.

There's no way to preview a post before submitting it.

There's no way to delete received notifications.

The whole site is slow and sometimes unresponsive on my end.

• Like Like x 1
  3. OP
    Mikey

Smilies and YouTube videos should be fixable.

Attached images is something I need to look into and perhaps file a support ticket.

Spoiler tags can be re-added.

Post preview, no i can't see a way to do that.

I didn't know we could delete received notifications >_>

4. Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

The ability to preview a post before submitting it is something I've always found very useful. I'm surprised such useful function has been removed.  :/

As for notifications, there was a little check box next to each one and a button at the bottom of the notifications list that allowed me to delete checked notifications. I always removed them after attending to them to keep the notifications area clear and avoid clutter.

5. OP
    Mikey

I've added a Preview button to the editor. So you can click it and it'll show you a preview in a new window. I know it's not the old functionality but I hope it'll help.

It's here: [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2015
  6. Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

Well, I suppose it's better than nothing. I still don't see why the developers removed it.  :unsure:

This whole upgrade feels more like a downgrade to me.  :/

7. OP
    Mikey

:(

I was hoping you'd get used to it. I'm gonna be working on making it more familiar like I said.

8. Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

Too many drastic changes have been applied at once. And not even a single good one among them. :(

9. OP
    Mikey

I want to make OTH better. We couldn't have stayed on the same version forever. It's not practical. This upgrade was due and had to happen sooner rather than later. I'm gonna look into skins which were similar to the older style but saying that too many changes and none of them good is a very broad generalization and doesn't give me much to work on.

I want to keep you guys happy but I can't roll back the upgrade. It's not an option I'm afraid so all I can do is work with you to make you happier using the site.

Personally I hate change more than anyone I know and I ddon't hate this change otherwise, trust me, I wouldn't have made it. I still see a forum. I still see a way to post and in some ways this is easier for those basic tasks than the old version. For example I'm posting from my mobile right now without any problems. It's great.

I'm aware of some failings. For example I can't see much of my settings atm. Emails are being sent out to everyone for every topic and I don't know why. But trust me when I say that I'm working on those issues. We have lost all our add ons. Some of which were custom. I need to update my own code to match new OTH code and 're add those add ons which have been updated to the new version. We're gonna be in a transitional phase for a bit but we'll come out of it better than ever I hope.

I just need time and hopefully specific examples of which changes you find derogatory and I can do my damnedest to fix them.

Edit: Now that I'm at a computer - I just want to add, I still see a forum. You can post topics in a forum and you can post comments in a topic. You can add an avatar and update your profile. You can post status updates and comment on those status updates (Yes, facebookey). You can like posts and you can add friends on the forum. PM's are still here, and so are attachments. Yes it's simplistic at the moment but isn't that what a forum is at it's core? What would you like to see in the forum and I'll try to add it.

I know a lot of legacy data - spoilers, attachments, uploads, etc isn't showing at the moment but I'm gonna look into those too.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  10. Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

[​IMG]

;)

So, what good exactly has this upgrade brought to OTH? I assume there are numerous background improvements visible only to you, since only you have access to the server, and other sensitive stuff. :)

From a point of view of average users who have no access to administrator tools and don't care about stuff they can't see, outer appearance has a huge impact on how they perceive the site.

We live in an incredibly shallow world where everyone and everything are judged by their outer appearance. Internet sites are not an exception. If a (potential) member doesn't like what he / she sees at the first glance, that (potential) member is lost. You do wish to have more active members, to have more activity around here, yes?

I can't speak for anyone else, but this whole upgrade feels like a huge slap across my face. Aside from images and videos everyone posted before the upgrade no longer showing up, the whole user interface has been dumbed down so much it feels like an insult to my intelligence. Keeping things simple is fine, but there's a line between simple and ridiculous.

Why removing the ability to preview posts before submitting them? Was there something wrong with it, something so bad that the whole function had to be removed entirely?  :unsure:

Why can't we (or at least I) remove received notifications anymore? Yes, it was possible to do it before the upgrade. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

Post editing tools. Fonts? Size options? What happened to them? As far as I remember, they were available before the upgrade. Now they're not. Seems counterproductive to remove them.

Of course, I could be totally wrong about all this. For all I know, I could be the only person in the whole world who doesn't like these newest changes, and everyone else could think they're the best thing that happened to this place since its creation.

Perhaps someone else would care to share their thoughts, someone who likes the whole thing? Don't hesitate to disagree with me. I don't mind. Anyone? :)

Oh, I forgot to ask this before. Would it be possible to put login fields (user name and password) to the front page, so they'd be accessible without clicking 'Existing user? Sign in' button first? That button can stay as it is, just add those two fields to the front page, if possible.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  11. OP
    Mikey

Preview. I don't know why it was removed. This was a complete rewrite of the software from the ground up so they may not have gotten round to re adding it in.

The editor options are there I just can reorganize the editor from the admincp. I may have moved the font and size buttons by accident. I can re add those easily.

Notifications I'm having trouble with too. I'm gonna file a support ticket for that.

12. Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

What's with the Reloaded skin? Why did I get an error that completely crippled my ability to use the site when I switched to it?

Thanks for the help, btw. ;)

13. OP
    Mikey

The reloaded skin was using the grid system for forums and rounded avatars. It was the changes I liked but didn't wanna force on as default but it broke for some reason.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2015
  14. Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

Oh, I see. Might wanna put a warning sign next to it, just in case. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

What's with the downtime earlier today? I kept getting error 500 when trying to access this place. Server problems again?

Btw, have you noticed any slowness and / or unresponsiveness, or is it just me? Large threads that have amassed several pages of replies, like the hotseat topics, take quite long to load. Their loading time was almost instantaneous for me before the upgrade.  :/

16. OP
    Mikey

MySQL stopped, I had to manually start it again :(

17. Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

YourSQL stopped. [​IMG]

;)   :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice