Welcome to OMG boards community!
Community of friends where we talk about daily life, offtopic stuff, and what keeps us busy.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

Player Mounts In SWTOR

Discussion in 'SWTOR Discussion' started by TeHpUmKinKiNg, Jan 23, 2011.

1. TeHpUmKinKiNg

TeHpUmKinKiNg OMG Member

Threads:
    Found a great article on TORWars. MMORPG.com has posted an editorial wherein Michael Bitton wonders aloud about the importance of mounts in Star Wars: The Old Republic. This got me to thinking about…Mounts…in Star Wars: The Old Republic. Can you believe that?

Bitton mentions that we don’t know much about the player mount system in the game, but that past video has shown “players mounted on speederbikes” and that a Mass Effect-style map system has been shown that will allow planet hopping via player ships. Regarding personal player mounts though – we know nothing. Zilch.

<center>[​IMG]

</center> Many different types of small transport have been shown in the Star Wars films and comics, from land speeders, to Varactyl (Obi-Wan’s dino mount) to dewbacks on Tatooine. What will we see in SWTOR? Mounts have to be available. Travel on-foot is fine in the early levels, but as gameplay progresses, the faster one can get around – the better.

Speeder bikes are almost a given. I’d be surprised if they don’t make it into the game. Star Wars: Galaxies had them. Will immersion be destroyed if you click an icon and your taun-taun instantly appears ready for a quick getaway? Will BioWare offer primo mounts for sale ala Blizzard’s very successful sparkle pony? An Epic Sparkly Taun-Taun for $25.00 anyone? Say it ain’t so! What say you? Can a mount ever be a bad thing? What must Star Wars: The Old Republic provide for players when it comes to personal mounts?

2. Nemmerle

Nemmerle OMG Member

Threads:
    Speeders, bikes, aircraft perhaps - I can't really imagine animals as mounts though. Squishy things can't really compete with vehicles.

And Vader rode into town on his trusty Wompa. :coffee:

I figure they'll probably just use a quick-travel system though.

3. OP
    TeHpUmKinKiNg

TeHpUmKinKiNg OMG Member

Threads:
    Well, there is already a shuttle system in place. It takes you from point A to point B, pretty quickly, and costs a few credits.

I would definitely like to see more mount options available in the game. Particularly, charmable creatures. Why, you ask? Heh. Rancors. Nuff said.

If you ride into Mos Eisley on top of a Rancor with friggin laser beams, you're going to get your point across.

4. Nemmerle

Nemmerle OMG Member

Threads:
    I see your Rancor and raise you an anti-tank missile.

5. ArchAngel_oth

ArchAngel_oth I'm Very Important

Threads:
    It'll depend on the map design, largely. IF they're going the WoW route where you just have one big motherfrukkin' world, then yeah, mounts are a given. Frak running across 3 continents to find Bob Smith so he can tell you that the droids you're looking for are 2 continents to the west.

But if they're going a Guild Wars-styled route wherein you have a bunch of zones connected together at one point via a loading screen, all with only a handful of paths you can take to make it through them, then suddenly mounts/vehicular transportation ceases to be as useful, because you have no ability to avoid driving past all your random NPC baddies/creatures that want to molest you violently. Not to mention that when you have narrow paths and high-speed technology... you will crash. Alot.

6. OP
    TeHpUmKinKiNg

TeHpUmKinKiNg OMG Member

Threads:
    You know... now that it's been mentioned, I always wondered how Ani never died in that pod racer. Force or not, that was just an insane speed to be traveling, in such narrow spaces.

7. Deep Fried Gungan

Deep Fried Gungan I Punch Gizka

Threads:
    Anakin just got lucky, that's all.

And yes, I would love, and somewhat expect, to see mountable creatures in TOR. I'm personally hoping for two gizkas I can mount, so it looks like I'm floating everywhere I go.

8. OP
    TeHpUmKinKiNg

TeHpUmKinKiNg OMG Member

Threads:
    You know.. in all the videos, I have yet to see mountable creatures, or any gizka whatsoever.

9. Jayden

Jayden I R Posting Machine

Threads:
    I saw some of the speeders. Not awfully impressive. Now, a mountable rancor??? Hells yeah.

10. Krauzer

Krauzer Galactic Fetus

Threads:
    What they never told you was that Anakin had 7 brothers who all died in horrific pod-racing accidents...

11. OP
    TeHpUmKinKiNg

TeHpUmKinKiNg OMG Member

Threads:
    So, he used the as test subjects to perfect his pod racer controls and skills. Genius!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice