Welcome to OMG boards community!
Community of friends where we talk about daily life, offtopic stuff, and what keeps us busy.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

Pointing - is it rude or not?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Tricorder, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

Threads:
    For some reason that I fail to see, I have always been taught that pointing at someone or something is impolite & rude and as such was strictly forbidden from doing it under any circumstances under the threat of physical punishment if I disobey.

I don't get it - why? What's so horribly wrong with it?  :unsure: What am I missing? It always felt and still feels perfectly natural to me to simply use my index finger to point someone in the right direction instead of wasting time & effort trying to explain it in words, especially if the person asking for a direction doesn't speak my native language, for example.

I've seen countless of times and still every day see other people do it without anyone screaming at them, threatening to break every bone in their bodies if they ever do it again.

Computers are designed to be used via pointing & clicking, and so far I haven't seen or heard of anyone complaining about it, saying that pointing at icons and clicking on them to activate them is impolite and / or rude.

So, what am I missing? What's so horribly wrong with pointing? Anyone got any clue? :huh:

2. W. Lawngreen

W. Lawngreen Just Got The Letter

Threads:
    Well, think about flipping someone off. It's a similar gesture. So it just depends on cultural differences. Just be careful what you do in foreign countries.

But yeah, I think pointing is fine around where I live. Also, check the avatar.

• Like Like x 1
  3. OP
    Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

Threads:
    Hmm... I never thought about it that way. I don't know about other cultures, but here where I live, using your index finger for the purpose of pointing is a perfectly acceptable method of making the communication easier. Aside from me, I've never seen or heard of anyone being forbidden from doing so by their parents.

Of course, using your middle finger to flip someone off is an entirely different story. I never had any problem understanding why is it considered rude and impolite, nor have I felt any particular need to use the said gesture, so that's not a problem.

[​IMG]

;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2015
  4. W. Lawngreen

Threads:
    I've always been told that in the days of archery, they would cut off people's fingers to prevent them from using a bow, so waving your fingers at the enemy became a taunt to show that you still had them, and the middle finger thing came from that.

• Like Like x 1
  5. OP
    Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

Threads:
    Lol, really? [​IMG] I've been taught that the middle finger means something else, if you know what I mean. :p

6. W. Lawngreen

Threads:
    No, that's what I mean, but I'm saying that the archery thing is why it means that. Supposedly. Sort of like, uh... I dunno, I can't think of a comparison.

7. OP
    Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

Threads:
    I fail to see the connection between bows & arrows and That-Thing-That-Must-Not-Be-Named-And-Is-Not-Lord-Voldemort. *cough*

Well, I guess even insults had to evolve from something. :p

8. Joe_oth

Joe_oth Hakuna Matata

Threads:
    I've been scolded for pointing before.  I never saw the reasoning behind it and I've never been offended by someone pointing at me. *shrugs*

• Like Like x 1
  9. OP
    Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

Threads:
    I know, right? All pointing does is it makes the communication easier, since it's much simpler to just point someone in the right direction instead of trying to explain it in words, for example. It's like some people are going out of their way to find something to be offended about.  :wacko:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice