Welcome to OMG boards community!
Community of friends where we talk about daily life, offtopic stuff, and what keeps us busy.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

Pre Game Preparation

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bosmer, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Century

Century I R Posting Machine

Jesus i wish i could get home (still in illinois) and get my budget. I really just want to get my computer all ready and what not.

2. Maral Dimor

Maral Dimor I Wanna Polka.

you should be able to get a good bit out of that

3. Century

I am looking at the Dell XPS's. Any particular recommended one.

4. Century

UGHHHH CANT CHOOSE BETWEEN GRAPHICS CARDS!!!!!!

Here my options, what do you guys think

SLi, Dual nVidia GeForce 9800GT 512MB [subtract $150]

CrossFireX, Dual ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB [subtract $50]

CrossFireX, Dual ATI Radeon HD 4870 1024MB [add $150 or $4/month1]

nVidia GeForce GTX 285 1024MB [included in Price]

(This is assuming i got with an XPS 630

5. Maral Dimor

I recommended the Geforce card the quality is amazing

a little pricey but its worth it to have a grahics card that can play

any new game coming out in the future

6. Century

I was leaning toward the GTX 285. However i am not even ordering or customizing my rig till october. Wanna try and get windows 7. And also prices should go down by then too.

7. Maral Dimor

I don't know about the price going down

but i would wait to buy your graphics card on black friday (November 29th)

everything is about 20 to 40 percent off so you could be saving a lot of money.

I have the money for my computer but im just waiting for black Friday to get it.

8. Anbu_BD2021

Anbu_BD2021 Citizen of the Forum

GTX 285 is a really good card, but i believe dual 9800's is about comparable, also are you looking at a mobo with a nvidia bridge or intel (i think the intel have different bridge requirements for the newer gfx cards, X58 or higher, but i could be mistaken there)
    It also depends some on how high you set your resolution and your screen size, and i believe on how good your CPU is whether the advantage is really worth the extra money. One of the other things to consider is that its a lot roomier with a single card than dual which = more air flow which = cooler running, and with a dell that could be an issue with higher end gaming. My advice is that if you have the extra money get the better card, if youre worried about it being too expensive the 9800's will likely last you for a few years anyway (3-4 i'd guess). You have to keep in mind that gpu's like processors come out fairly regularly with newer, faster technology so by the time the systems actually get to requiring something of your system its usually outdated anyway (for instance i have 1gb of ram in my pc, but i have yet to find a game i want to play that i cant run on it at low-mid settings even if it says it requires 2gb).

9. Asteldian

Asteldian I Wanna Polka.

Personally I never get the top stuff.

For about £550 I can build a computer that can handle what is currently out, top of the 'last gen' tends to be much cheaper and able to last a good few years, I hate spending lots of money on a new comp then it being 'dated' before long, the way I look at things is this: You need a computer to be able to play the good games for the next 2 years, any longer is good, but building a top range computer to last say 4 or 5 years is optimistic, technology can change real quick in that time and if rela unlicky after 2 years you may find yourself having to look to upgrade anyway.

As for the graphic cards, well, if you are going for a high end comp anyway you may as well grab the GTX 285, it is a great card, I would ALWAYS go for a better card over dual cards. Course, a single 9800 will last a few more years so you could save money going with that, but again, if you are already spending a good amount of money on a computer, there is no point in 'budgeting' on one or two items - you may as well go all out and spend a lot on the computer or plan on buying on a budget from scratch rather than tinkering with an item or two at the end.

So yeah, grab the GTX285

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice