Welcome to OMG boards community!
Community of friends where we talk about daily life, offtopic stuff, and what keeps us busy.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

Recently Beaten Video Games!

Discussion in 'Gaming Zone' started by Roblmich, May 5, 2014.

1. Roblmich

Roblmich OMG Member

Threads:
    So let's talk about the games we've recently beaten here.

Today I beat Call of Duty 1 and Max Payne 3, along with Creeper World 3, again. Before that I beat... I believe Borderlands 2 with some friends.

Max Payne was a quality game, I'll say that. Besides the somewhat clunky movement but it made up for it by letting you go into slow-mo rooty-tooty-point n' shooty moments at almost anytime you wanted. Saved my butt a lot of times, I'll say that.

2. Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

Threads:
    Last game I completed is called Command & Conquer Renegade. It's an FPS version of the original RTS Command & Conquer.

You play as a GDI commando called Nick Parker, nicknamed 'Havoc'. Familiar C&C setting, ability to enter structures and disable them from the inside, lots of weapons to use & enemies to shoot, nice cutscenes to watch between the missions, etc.

Typical 'one man army' shooter, though. Going in all guns blazing is what gets you through 99% of the game. You can easily destroy even the toughest vehicles and shoot helicopters down with your weapons. Enemies constantly respawn in some areas, which is something I never liked in games, since it's stupid and illogical. Not to mention it ruins my mass murderer spree when I have to finish a level without killing every single enemy on it.  :p

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2014
  3. Mikey

Mikey :mikey: Staff Member

Threads:
    Hmm. Last game I completed....

I won a game of Civ V... Does that count???

4. Marietta

Marietta Comes and Goes.

Threads:
    Well I beat Dreaming Mary. It was short and simple but gave me the creeps.

[​IMG]

And I've just finished playing Child of Light. I might give it a thread. Maybe.

[​IMG]

5. Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

Threads:
    [​IMG]

An old game from 1996 made exclusively for Windows 95. It won't even install on anything else, but prefers to bi*ch and whine instead and demands Windows 95 like a spoiled brat. And 16 bit color depth. Of course, I installed it anyway. >On my Windows 98 virtual machine. Hee hee.

:D

​​[​IMG]

The game is an interactive movie. It looks and feels like an episode of Star Trek taking place during the events depicted at TNG episodes The Best of Both Worlds and The Best of Both Worlds Part II, but viewed from a perspective of the crew of USS Righteous, one of the ships that was destroyed by the Borg during the aforementioned events.

​Game begins 10 years after the destruction of USS Righteous. You play as Cadet Qaylan Furlong, a son of Lieutenant Ralph Furlong who served aboard the Righteous and died with the rest of the crew. Qaylan found himself aboard USS Cheyenne, heading to battle against another Borg ship. Since the Captain of the Cheyenne wishes all cadets and other visitors to leave the ship and go to safety, Qaylan is forced to pack his bags. 

As you watch him do it, Q shows up out of nowhere and offers Qaylan a chance to go back in time and save Righteous from destruction.

For the most part, you don't have to do anything but watch as the events unfold, until the game reaches a point where you have to make a decision on what to do next. Depending on your choice, the game will take a different course. First choice you have to make is whether you wish to accept Q's offer or decline it. If you accept it, the game continues. If you decline it, it's game over.

Each time you make a choice, the game continues, and you watch the consequences of your decision, but if you make the wrong decision, you usually end up dead, assimilated by the Borg or the ship explodes, or some other nasty thing happens. Fortunately, Q immediately steps in, makes a bit of a show in his typical style, insults your intelligence a bit for making such a foolish decision and takes you back to the point before you made the wrong choice, giving you an opportunity to make the right one.

I don't know if there's a limit to how many times you can screw up before Q loses his patience and gives up, but I know there's at least one point in the game where you get only one do-over if you screw up on the first attempt. If you screw up again, it's game over and you have to start all over again from the beginning.

Q alone is the one who makes the game worth playing. His comments, one liners & showmanship never get old.

I can't believe I've waited this long to play this gem. Still, better late than never, eh? ;)

​ 

​ 

• Like Like x 1
  6. Cramseur

Cramseur I can do the Kessel Run in TWO parsecs.

Threads:
    You seem to like old games I think I have a channel to recommend:

Seems like a pretty good game, if I so happen to see it I'll pick it up.

:)

For now I'll play Black Mesa on my new desktop. Hehe

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

Threads:
    I already have my eye set on some other old games. Just need to obtain them and play my brains out. ;)

[​IMG]

Lucky b... *cough* ;)

I must post this video for teh lulz:

​ 

:p

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2014
  8. Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

Threads:
    [​IMG]
     ​

Another old game I haven't played back when it was originally released. This one is a bit newer than the previous one, and dates back to year 2000. Fortunately, this one is perfectly happy running on Windows XP, so I didn't need to use my Windows 98 virtual machine this time.

Right, then. This is a very interesting game, I must say. For all intent and purposes, it's a first person shooter (FPS) game, but, unlike in Renegade (see my first post in this thread), going in all guns blazing is usually a bad idea for several reasons which I'll address later.

The main protagonist of this game is called Cate Archer, a former cat burglar who excels in getting into places no one is supposed to be able to get at. Due to her skills, she is recruited by an agency called UNITY, which can be described as an equivalent of MI6 best known from the James Bond movies. Essentially, the good guys & girls whose job is to keep the world safe from any great threats.

On the other side, we have a terrorist organization known as H.A.R.M. which aims to conquer & dominate the world. Playing as Cate Archer from mission to mission, your ultimate goal is to find out as much as you can about H.A.R.M. and bring the whole organization down for the sake of keeping the world a free & safe place. How original, eh? ;)

Game itself consists of series of missions divided into small(er) chapters. Some chapters are designed in such way that the next one begins at the same spot where the previous one ended, like at some doors that lead from one area to another, while others take you to an entirely different location, but still fall under the same mission.

Missions come in variety of flavors, ranging from covert infiltration, information gathering and / or assassination where sneaking around & staying undetected is an imperative, to an open gunfight duels against the high ranking members of H.A.R.M. where you can bring out & use your loudest weapons.

Of course, that doesn't mean this game is uneventful and boring. There is only one chapter in the whole game where you are explicitly forbidden from killing anyone, but must create distractions and sneak around by any means necessary instead. In all other missions, you are free to kill enemies, but if any of them reaches & presses the alarm button, all enemies within range will swarm you like a swarm of flies swarms a turd. :p  Some missions will result in an instant failure if the alarm goes off, regardless of whether you killed anyone or not.

Speaking of alarms and buttons that activate them; their amount and placements are ridiculous. There's an alarm button in almost every room and corridor. Sometimes I haven't even noticed someone going for an alarm button, so the sound of it blaring into my ears usually came as a surprise, since I tried my best to either sneak past the enemies unnoticed or to quietly kill them by using silenced weapons, but apparently a shot from a silenced pistol can be heard through glasses and concrete walls up to a certain distance. Mmmkay...

When it comes to shooting & killing, this game rewards precision and punishes recklessness. The game literally monitors and counts how many shots you fired and which parts of enemy's bodies you hit (head, torso or limbs). It also monitors how many times you were detected, hit, how many corpses of your "handwork" the others have found, how many times you (accidentally) hit a friendly or neutral character(s), how many civilian casualties have been caused by the enemy fire (if you kill a civilian, it's an instant mission failure), how many intelligence items you found, takes all those informations, calculates and grades your overall performance based on them at the end of each mission.

It also counts how many civilians you've scared by letting them see you holding a weapon in your hands, even if you just shot & killed an enemy that tried to kill them. Sheesh. Instead of being grateful for saving their lives, saying something like "wow, that was a great shot, thank you for saving my life", they panic and cower like I'm the villain who just tried to kill them. Spoiled SOBS. :p

I mentioned intelligence items. They exist in almost every mission in a form of briefcases, folders, letters, notes, etc. Finding & collecting them is not mandatory (except in one chapter), but they contain more or less useful informations about H.A.R.M. and count towards your final score.

In addition to wide variety of weapons, this game also offers you a selection of interesting gadgets in a James Bond manner. For example, one of the gadgets looks like a pair of ordinary sunglasses, but actually contains a spy camera capable of taking photographs, detecting infrared beams and detecting proximity mines. They also feature a built-in zoom feature which, as you probably guessed it, allows you to zoom in on distant characters and objects.

Another interesting gadget is a body remover which comes packed in a small vial-like bottle. If you wish to play Houdini and make a guy you just killed literally disappear, just open the vial, sprinkle some of the liquid on the corpse and watch him dissolve into thin air. Surprisingly, I found it more useful to leave the corpse laying untouched, so I could hide nearby and shoot the guy that comes running to check the body, if there was someone close enough to notice a dead guy.

One of my favorite gadgets is a camera disabler. Since being spotted by a security camera results in an alarm going off, you can attach one these nifty little items to any camera you can reach, effectively fooling the guy looking at the security monitors into thinking the camera is recording empty space, like there's no one there. Groovy! :cool:

Other items include a cigarette lighter which can be modified into a miniature welding tool useful for removing padlocks that can't be picked with a lock picking gadget or shot off with a gun. There's also a coin. Yes, an ordinary coin. Its purpose is to serve as a distraction. For example, if you wish to lure an enemy guard from his spot (I wonder if it would work on Sheldon Cooper :p ), just toss the coin in the direction you wish the guard to go to. This is useful for luring guards away from the security cameras so you can kill them, since cameras also react to dead guards by blaring the alarm.

Okay, enough about the items. Play the game yourself if you want to see the rest and learn what they do. ;) Aside from having a great & intriguing story, this game is packed with a brilliant humor. Lots of it revolves around the main character's gender, since Cate is a woman. Some of the finest examples:

5:26 - 5:32:

​ 

Hee hee. [​IMG]

You can't really drive a car in the game, but you can drive a motorbike in one of the chapters, and a snowmobile in another one. You can even run over people with them. ;)

All characters in the game speak English, but with an appropriate accent, depending on which part of the world they're from, but slightly goofed up for the sake of adding a bit of comedy. For example, during a mission in Morocco, all characters native to that part of the world speak with a funny Indian accent and sound like Howard Wolowitz doing an Indian accent:

​ 

Since the game takes place in the 60's, and considering the nature of the game, I can't shake the feeling the game is a parody of James Bond & Austin Powers movies. Look what I found on deviantART:

[​IMG]
    Groovy, baby! ;)

Of course, this game is not perfect. It certainly has its bugs & flaws, like getting me stuck at certain places for no apparent reason, forcing me to jump like an idiot to "brake" myself free. I blame that on Lithtech engine the game runs on. It's always been buggy and I never liked it, even in other games that use it. Also, I found a corridor I could easily enter through any of the two doors at each of its end, but simply couldn't get out of it. It's like the doors are smaller on the inside (I feel like there's a Doctor Who reference in that sentence :p ), or that Cate mysteriously grows taller and wider after entering that corridor, thus no longer being able to fit through the door. Weird. I had no other choice but to load my way out.

Probably the biggest problem the game suffers from is an inability to heal your wounds, to restore your health while on a mission. No health packs for you to pick up, no medics that could heal you or anything else that could restore even a bit of your health while you're out in the field. Nothing. You start each mission with a full health and armor which provides 100% protection against most types of damage, like bullets and explosives. Fresh armor can be found & picked up during missions, but certain types of damage will completely ignore your armor and directly drain your health, like falling, staying under water for too long, etc. Special types of bullets that are coated with phosphorous and cyanide poison will affect your health and armor at the same time, since phosphorous ignites when it comes into contact with oxygen in the air, and cyanide poison is well... poisonous, heh.

Another thing I don't like about this game is the way some of the scripted sequences work. For example, I'm making my way through the level, making sure to kill every single enemy I can find, only to trigger an in-game cutscene at the predefined spot and be ambushed & knocked out by one of the high ranking enemies which appeared out of nowhere. Literally. What the frak? That's kinda cheating on the side of the game developers, methinks. Also, if someone sets off an alarm, in addition to all nearby enemies immediately converging on your location, the game will often spawn additional ones, which will also attack you. I once witnessed a group of enemy soldiers appearing out of thin air, right in front of me.

I also feel the enemies are a bit too accurate, even on lowest difficulty setting, although there were moments when they managed to miss me at point blank range. Huh.

All in all, this is definitely one of the best games I ever played. Great storyline, my kind of humor, lots of weapons to choose from, gadgets you can use to make your life a bit easier... Groovy. :cool:

P.S.

This never happened in the game! You hear me? Never! ;)

​ 

:D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2014
  9. Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

Threads:
    [​IMG]
     ​

​

After playing the wonderful first part, I just couldn't resists playing the sequel too. It was unavoidable. It was my dest... err, never mind. :p

Cate Archer is back. And so is H.A.R.M. After failing to take over the world in the first part, they've decided to try it again, but this time in a manner worthy of Romulans from Star Trek. Basically, their idea is to make the cold war between USA and Soviet Union less cold and more heated (so to say) by cleverly manipulating both sides into dropping the pretense and annihilating each other with nuclear weapons, leaving the world devoid of any superpower capable of opposing H.A.R.M. and their goal of world domination aided by their army of super soldiers. Oooohh, super soldiers...

​ 

In an attempt to discover all this, UNITY sends Cate to different locations all over the world in an attempt to dig up as much useful informations as possible about H.A.R.M. and their plans. The majority of the game can be summed up to this: Go there, get in, dig through tons of papers to find a piece of paper that contains a clue on to where you're supposed to go next, get out, go where the paper said, rinse & repeat until you hit the end of the game. Mmmkay...

Of course, the whole ordeal is spiced up with plenty of action, so the game is far from boring. Whether you're in Japan, Siberia, India or wherever, you can always count on someone there being very eager to kill you, like ninjas, regular soldiers, super soldiers, mimes with tommy guns, etc.

Like the first part, the game consists of series of missions divided into chapters, but the chapters are now bigger and take longer to complete, although that probably depends on each person's playing style, whether they prefer to sneak around and make enemies disappear into the night without a sound, or to go >Nick 'Havoc' Parker style on them instead, where sneaking & staying undetected isn't a requirement.

In addition to using silenced weapons to dispose of enemies, the game allows you to pick the corpses up and carry them around, preferably to some dark corner where no one will see them, and dump them there. Interestingly enough, even if (for example) an enemy soldier finds his dead comrade (Long live mother Russia! :p ), there's a high possibility he'll say "I'm not taking the blame for this", or "I'm not filling up the paperwork", pour some of the body remover (remember that stuff from the first part?) on him, watch him dissolve into thin air and simply walk away to smoke a cigarette, or whatever, instead of yelling and activating the alarm. Damn. Must be some bitchin' paperwork when pretending like nothing happened is a preferred option for them instead of getting help and looking for the person responsible for the poor chap's demise. :p

Weapons haven't changed much since the first part, sans for some cosmetic changes. There are also some new weapons to choose from, like Katana (aka a sword you can pick up from dead ninjas and go Kill Bill on them :p ), shurikens, shotgun, various types of grenades, etc. Probably the most ridiculous new weapon is a proximity-triggered explosive device called Angry Kitty. Guess what it looks like. I dare you.  ;)

[​IMG]

Gadgets have also received a makeover. For example, instead of a lighter, Cate now uses a can of hairspray which can be modified into a welder. Body remover no longer comes packed in vial-like bottles, but disguised as a spray bottle of perfume. Lock picking gadget now looks like an ordinary nail clipper. Code breaker is no longer a bulky piece of hardware that you have to attach to a keypad in order for it to do its thing, but is now cleverly disguised as an elegant compact you'd normally expect to find in any woman's purse.

New gadget worth mentioning is a key chain with a built-in light that comes in handy in dark places where you can't or don't want to turn the light on, since dark is every spy's best friend, heh. 

One of the more interesting things about this game is its RPG-style skills points system. Since a picture is worth a thousand of words, here's one:

[​IMG]

Stealth skill level determines how much of a chance you have to hide from your enemies and / or to have them lose track of you when in pursuit.

Stamina skill level determines your maximum health level, how much damage you'll take when hit and how fast you can move when carrying a corpse.

Marksmanship skill level dictates your accuracy. The higher it is, the more accurate your shots will be. It also helps you steady your aim when using a sniper rifle, or some other scoped weapon.

Carrying skill level determines how much ammo you can carry. The more - the better, right? ;)

Armor skill level determines your maximum armor level and how much damage your armor will take when hit. Max this and stamina out and you'll be pretty much unstoppable.

Weapons skill level determines how fast you can switch between weapons and how fast you can reload them.

Gadgets skill level determines how good you are with gadgets; how fast you're able to prepare them, and how much time it takes you to perform a task which requires the use of a gadget, like lock picking, for example.

Search skill determines how fast you are able to search corpses for useful items and how likely you are to find something useful, since you can also easily end up with a fistful of lint, if the guy you just killed doesn't have anything useful in his pockets. I found a cheap way to trick the game into letting me find something useful each time, though. The trick is to save the game before searching the body, loading the save if nothing useful is found and trying again, since the game spawns a random item at the corpse each time. It can be tedious, but useful. Excellent way to stock up on grenades, since they're almost impossible to find otherwise.

Skill points are earned by completing objectives. In addition to main objectives which must be completed, the game often offers you optional objectives that you are free to ignore, but completing them earns you additional skill points. You also gain skill points by finding & collecting intelligence items. It also pays off to be on a lookout for a spy training manual which can be found on most levels. Picking it up also earns you skill points.

Unfortunately, despite throughly searching all levels, picking up everything I could pick up and completing all optional objectives, I found that the game doesn't reward you with enough skill points to max all skills out by the end of the game. Since I didn't know which of the skills will be the most useful to me throughout the game, I balanced my skills around and spread the points equally to all of them, so I ended up with having neither of the skills maxed out. Bummer.

Since the authors intended the game to be only half-serious (like the first part), they've made sure to spice it up with an appropriate dose of somewhat crappy humor. Example:

The authors even made it possible to pick up bananas that you can find laying around on some levels. Yes, an ordinary bananas.

[​IMG]

What do you do with them, you may wonder? No, you can't eat them (Damn it! :p ), but you can drop them to the ground for someone to step on them, slip & fall, all accompanied by the appropriate cartoonish banana slip sound effect. Aside from being a comedy factor, doing this can also have a tactical purpose when you need to shake a pursuer that you're not allowed to kill, for example. Of course, if you're not careful, you can end up slipping on your own banana and falling to the ground. Hey, you can even do it on purpose, if you feel like goofing around.  :p

On one occasion, I've witnessed an enemy soldier getting caught in the line of fire of an enemy super soldier, killed on the spot by the blast from the super soldier's weapon, only to disappear inside a large rock the blast threw him to.

[​IMG]

See anything? Look closer:

[​IMG]

Yes, that's the poor chap's weapon sticking out of the rock, with him being inside it. ;) Hooray for clipping! :p

Remember the main theme from the first game? On one of the levels, you can find a couple of Russian soldiers listening to that music on a radio, dancing to the beat. 

[​IMG]

One of my favorite moments in the game. Wish I could've taken that radio with me so I could listen to that music the whole time. :p

Unfortunately, not everything in this game is so peachy. In addition to often being unfair by continuously replacing the enemies I killed by spawning loads of new ones, it also suffers from a ridiculous AI problem that affects friendly and neutral characters. I don't know why, but they seem incapable of grasping the concept of running away from danger instead of running straight to it.

For example, during a mime attack on the UNITY headquarter, one of the employees just couldn't be arsed to find some dark corner and hide in it, so he opted to stay in an open corridor instead, cowering down as Cate and mimes exchanged fire. Um, hello? Would you mind getting into that room over there while I gun these freaks down? No? Oh dear god... *facepalm*

Another example would be a civilian character in India which kept running into my line of fire each time I (re)loaded the last save because I ended up accidentally killing him. Imagine me saying this with an Indian accent: Oh look! There's a heavy gunfire in that alley! I'm gonna run straight in there to see how many bullets will fly past me before one of them hits me! *facepalm*

Since I mentioned UNITY headquarter; I must point out one huge illogicality I've noticed there. In the first part, there were guards, a UNITY soldiers, patrolling and guarding the headquarter, even participating in one of the later missions. In this game, there isn't even a single UNITY soldier in sight during the whole game. Excuse me? Each enemy base is crawling with heavily armed soldiers. The game even punishes me for killing them by spawning new ones, but my own base doesn't have even a single person armed with so much as a pistol?  :huh:  Damn. Either UNITY has an unlimited trust in Cate and her 'one woman army' abilities, or someone screwed up big time.

Definitely the biggest problem I've been constantly facing is the game's tendency to crash to Desktop, either when loading a saved game after exiting the game and coming back to it later or when loading a new level, each time with the same error message related to Lithtech.exe application saying that the "Client MFC Application has stopped working and needs to close", followed by a few more lines of meaningless text and standard Windows 'Send - Don't Send error report' choices.

I googled around to see if anyone found a way to fix it, but no dice. Lots of people reported exactly the same problem. I've tried every single suggestion I could find, but none of them worked for me except running the performance test from the Options menu before loading a previously saved game, which isn't really a fix, but more of a workaround that needs to be done each time when running the game. Meh. I'm surprised such a huge bug wasn't fixed before the game was released, or at least patched later on. Imagine getting through half the game, only to realize that no matter which save you try to load, the game simply crashes to Desktop and throws some stupid error in your face. Luckily for me, I caught the problem early on and found some help on teh interwebz instead of giving up and uninstalling the game.

The ending of the game feels rushed and leaves a lot of open space for a possible sequel, which, considering the age of this game, is very unlikely to ever be created. Still, I'd like to see the continuation of the story, to have H.A.R.M. come back again with another cockamamie plan for world domination, and to see Cate & Isako (ninja that tries to kill Cate a few times during the game, but fails each time and leaves H.A.R.M. by the end of the game) fighting together, side by side.

For my New Year's project, I'm gonna dig through the resource files of both NOLF games, extract sound files from them and hopefully throw together a decent Cate Archer voice pack for Unreal Tournament 2004, since Cate is a cool character and, from what I can tell, no one made one yet. :)  No need to sue me, dear Monolith. I'm not going to spread it around nor profit from it in any way. Unless fun counts as a profit. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      469 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      460.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
  10. W. Lawngreen

W. Lawngreen Just Got The Letter

Threads:
    Wow. I was going to post, but, uh, are the several-page-long summaries required?

Anyway, the game is LEGO City Undercover. I was always playing with Legos as a kid, and I'll still buy a set once in a while, so I love these Lego games even if they're kind of glitchy and simplistic. I'm not a challenge gamer, so I don't mind them being easy, and it's most definitely not easy to collect everything you need for 100% completion, especially in this latest game. A lot of people describe this game as "Grant Theft Auto for kids;" I haven't played Grand Theft Auto, but if that description is accurate, I want to. I love exploring and collecting things, and the size of this city is just boggling. I did finally get 100%, but even once you're done, it's still fun to just run around the city and cause havoc.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

Threads:
    Nope.

[​IMG]

I had a verbal diarrhea. ;)

12. Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

Threads:
    [​IMG]

And both expansion packs; Scourge of Armagon & Dissolution of Eternity, all by using the custom made DarkPlaces engine I found on teh interwebz, which improves the visual quality of the game and makes it playable on modern computers without using DOSBox.

What's there to say about Quake? You run through the levels, pick up guns & ammo and shoot & kill monsters who don't seem to have anything better to do than to idly stand around and wait for you to come by and kill them before they kill you. Gold and silver keys open otherwise locked doors of the corresponding colors, elevators take you up & down, traps tend to kill you if you fall into them, and walking at the level exit takes you to the next level. Rinse & repeat until you run out of levels, aka reach the end of the game. Simple.

​ 

Both expansion packs, in addition to providing some new weapons & monsters, feature better quality level design in comparison to the original game. Not much else to say about them, since they follow the same 'run & gun' modus operandi of the original game. Heh.  :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2015
  13. MainerMikeBrown

MainerMikeBrown OMG Member

Threads:
    I've beaten many sports video games over the years, such as football games and hockey video games.

What's weird was one NFL football video game I learned how to win every game on.  On offense, if you rush the quarterback on every single offensive play in the game, you'll score a touchdown on every single offensive drive, which is anything but realistic in real NFL games.

14. Cramseur

Cramseur I can do the Kessel Run in TWO parsecs.

Threads:
    After much strife I've managed to complete the entire Half Life trilogy that depicted Gordon Freeman. So that means no Opposing Force and no Blue Shift. I'm kinda cheating when I say "completed"  because instead of playing Half Life 1 I played Black Mesa which is an updated version of Half Life with better graphics.  The entire series is amazing, but it sadly ends on a high note. After playing through the entire series I have to say that Gordon would have to be mentally disturbed in some way in the events of Half Life 2. Also I'm not quite sure why Gordon Freeman doesn't talk. 

15. Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

Threads:
    [​IMG]

;)

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

Threads:
    [​IMG]

Another blast from the quality past when games were actually good and playable instead of being an interactive benchmark programs... *cough* Call of Duty MW series *cough*... ahem. :p

Battlezone is a somewhat unique mixture of FPS and RTS genres, a concept that works quite well in this game, its expansion pack and its sequel, but never became popular for some reason. It's a shame, really. I really dig the whole building a base from the first person view thing. :)

[​IMG]

The game takes places during the Cold War back at the 60's in some kind of alternate reality (J.J. Abrams sold separately :p ) and puts you in the role of a field commander fighting for either Americans (called NSDF in the game) or Soviets (called CCA in the game), depending on which campaign you pick, who've decided to take the Cold War off Earth and all over the solar system after discovering this new metallic material that also has some biological properties that showered an entire solar system. Dubbed "The Bio-Metal", it has proven to be extremely useful in creating new kinds of weapons and vehicles, so both sides decide to make a run for it, grab as much as they can, use it to make new weapons and quickly win the Cold War.

American campaign begins on Earth's moon, where the Americans have established a base of operations, close to where Neil Armstrong and Alan Shepard left the famous Lunar module. You can even see the module in the first mission. Shortly after, a large Soviet force lands on the moon and chases the Americans away.

They flee to Mars where they hope to establish a new base of operations and gather as much bio-metal scrap as possible before the Soviets get there, only to discover that the Soviets are already there, well fortified & ready to fight.

To make things more complicated, both sides discover structures and relics of an extinct alien race that turns out to be responsible for creating the bio-metal. As it turns out, this mysterious alien race was divided into two factions that sought to annihilate each other, just like Americans and Soviets are trying to do.

Racing to find as much as possible about the aliens and their technology, both sides travel from planet to planet, where, in addition to fighting each other, they discover either more alien relics or more structures containing useful informations, slowly putting together a large puzzle that ultimately allows the Soviets to recreate an alien super weapons called the Furies which, according to the alien records, became sentient, went rogue and turned against their creators, forcing both sides to unite against the Furies in an attempt to stop them.

[​IMG]

Arrogantly convinced that they'll be able to control the Furies, the Soviets unleash them on the American forces on Saturn's moon Titan, only for the history to repeat itself and have the Furies turn against them, forcing the Soviets to run crying to what's left of the American forces and beg for an alliance to fight the Furies together. Personally, I'd give them the middle finger and tell them to go fu*k themselves, but whatever.

In the grand finale taking the place on the Uranus' moon of Achilles, the Furies attempt to flee the doomed moon as it's being torn apart by a massive earthquake (or should I say achillesquake :p ) triggered by the destruction of the Furies' geothermal power plants that tapped the moon's core for power. As the Furies scramble to reach their transport, the player must also get to their transport and destroy it before it takes off and the whole moon explodes.

Aha. Let me get this straight. The whole moon is shaking like an overpowered dildo on caffeine ( :p ) and there are crazy flying saucers out there that will try to kill me on the spot as soon as they notice me, and you want me to pull Gandalf on them?

[​IMG]

​ 

The End of an American campaign:

​ 

Soviet campaign is much shorter than the American campaign and begins around half into the American campaign, providing an insight into the whole thing from the Soviet point of view from that point in time.

It also introduces a new enemy to the Soviets, a somewhat of a renegade faction of an American forces called the Black Dogs, a group of space cowboys who don't care much for anything other than killing the Soviets, including their own safety. Unlike the regular NSDF forces, Black Dogs use better armed vehicles and generally fight much more aggressively. The game also heavily cheats in favor of the Black Dogs, giving them unlimited resources and manpower. Hrmpf.

Soviet campaign ends with the creation and deployment of the Furies, so if you build them, they will come. Come back to bite you in the ass, that is. :p I "solved" this problem by simply not building even a single Fury unit and using the regular weapons that were at my disposal to get rid of an enemy. No one complained, so I got away with it. Hee hee. :p

RTS portion of the game is pretty much what you'd expect from any conventional RTS game. Base building, resource gathering, building and managing your forces, etc. Since the game puts emphasis on mobility, the whole base can be easily relocated to another location, if necessary. Main structure called the Recycler is actually a vehicle capable of producing other basic vehicles, for example, but must be deployed on a power source in order to function. Unmovable buildings such as power plants, hangars, silos, gun towers, etc. can be recycled back into bio-metal scrap and rebuilt elsewhere.

In addition to producing basic vehicles, Recycler also produces Mobile Unit Factory and Armory, both of which have to be deployed on a power source in order to function. MUF produces advanced combat and utility vehicles, while the Armory is capable of manufacturing repair & ammo resupply modules as well as various weapons that can be easily mounted on vehicles capable of supporting them. This allows all players to customize their vehicles as they see fit.

In addition to manufacturing stuff, Armory is capable of delivering them anywhere on the battlefield thanks to its catapult-like launching system that accurately sends ordered equipment exactly where the player wants it. The greater the distance, the longer it will take for the equipment to arrive, of course, so it's generally better to be as closest as possible to the Armory when using it to build stuff for you. Since it's mobile, you can easily relocate it where it suits you better to save yourself the trouble of going back & forth between your base and the enemy base, for example.

The only requirement for the Armory (as well as Recycler and MUF) to function is a power source. These power sources come in a form of geothermal geysers that can be found on each planet in the game. Apparently, these geysers are heat exhausts coming straight from the core of each planet, and both the Americans and Soviets have found a way to use them to power their manufacturing structures. I'm not really sure how that works, but it does. Heh. :)

FPS portion of the game consists of you driving a combat vehicle around the battlefield, bossing your units around through the well designed command interface and fighting side by side with them, or alone, if you prefer. You can even sit back in your base and control your units via the satellite view of the battlefield, if you so desire. The same command interface allows you to accurately place structures from the first person view wherever you want, if the terrain allows it, of course.

[​IMG]

When your vehicle is damaged, you can repair it by either having your Recycler or an Armory build you as many repair modules as necessary that you pick up by simply driving over them or by parking your vehicle near or inside a repair hangar, if you built one. Same goes for ammo. When you need to reload, either have your Recycler or an Armory build you as many ammo modules as necessary or simply park next to a supply depot which will gradually recharge your ammo supply.

If your vehicle gets destroyed, you will be automatically ejected from it. If that happens, you have two options. You can either call one of your units to pick you up, which will result in the unit you called coming to your location, pilot will hop out of it and walk back to base, leaving you his vehicle which you can take by simply walking into it.

Alternately, you can use your sniper rifle which you're always carrying around in every mission to snipe an enemy unit, kill the pilot and take his vehicle.

[​IMG]

If you call one of your units to pick you up, and there's another unmanned vehicle nearby, the pilot you called will take that vehicle after hopping out of his vehicle instead of walking back to base. Good tactic for snatching high quality enemy vehicles and filling your ranks with them if you're low on bio-metal or simply wish to add an insult to your enemy's defeat. You can even build a towing unit and have it tow unmanned enemy vehicles to your base, where your pilots will automatically take them, if you prefer. It's also good for collecting trophies, if you feel like hunting for enemy vehicles and towing them to your base just to keep them there for decoration. :p

Technically, you could run around the battlefield on foot, but that would be suicide, since the enemy vehicles would quickly shoot you or simply run over you, killing you on the spot. Sniping works only if you catch an enemy by surprise, or get really lucky to stay alive long enough to snipe a moving vehicle that is fully aware of your presence and your intentions, so if you're doing it, better kill them before they kill you, as Delta 62 (aka Scorch) would say. ;)

One thing this game misses are cinematics between the missions. Only still images and short summaries / briefings are shown.

[​IMG]

Aside from the main intro video and the ending video that plays at the end of an American campaign, there's nothing else to watch. I don't count in-game cutscenes which are rendered in the game engine itself. They're fine, but I prefer "real" cinematics, like the intro and the end videos. Soviet campaign doesn't even have an ending video. Bummer.

Overall, this is one of my favorite games of all time. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2015
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice