Welcome to OMG boards community!
Community of friends where we talk about daily life, offtopic stuff, and what keeps us busy.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

Religon and Sex

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by xoyoungdreamerox, May 17, 2005.

1. xoyoungdreamerox

xoyoungdreamerox OMG Member

Threads:
    Religon and Sex

What do you think of abortions? Are they wrong? Are abortions murder? Is there a certain point before an abortion should be considered murder?

What about sex? Is it wrong to have sex before marriage and why? Do you think there are good reasons why they say in most religions no sex before marriage? Even if a religion forbids sex before marriage and you go and do it anyway and get pregnant should the child be condemned for your sins? Is it really and truly a sin? Should it be considered to be a sin?

Is having sex before you?re properly wed wrong? Should it be looked down upon? Should your children be called bastards just because they where born of an unwed mother? Should they be insulted and bullied because of this?

Is it really so darn bad to want to have sex with the one you love?

What do you all think

2. zero

zero OMG Member

Threads:
    Speaking as an active reverand of the THC Ministry of Colorado.........

I think its not bad if you want to have sex with someone you dont love.

Bieng a 27 year old single man with marraige experience, Im saying you got to test the waters before you jump in to swim. Some of the best sex ive ever had has been one night stands.

As far as abortion, thats the womans choice. If men had babies, considering what we would have to go through, abortion would be the LAW. :)

As for religion, I can think of no other single entity that has destroyed freedom in such a way as organized religions have.

Children should not be called bastards for any reason. I didnt have a dad growing up, and got my share of those kinds of words directed at me from cowardly adults. Its pretty fucked up.

My son was born out of wedlock, then we got married, then divorced. If anyone ever called him a bastard, they would have me to deal with.

Its a new world out there, with new rules. We should all be accepted no matter what.

3. Pyro

Pyro OMG Member

Threads:
    I tend to be in the middle of a lot of issues. With abortions, I don't really think it's wrong up until a point. If the child has already 'developed' and isn't just sperm and an egg, then I think it's murder (I think the law sees it as such there too), but before then, I believe it should be up to the woman - after all, it is her body and her choice. She has to live with that decision, not anyone else.

I don't really have any experience with sex, being in High School. (I've only been accused of rape once! It's a long story ;) I didn't do anything, so don't worry.) I don't really have a problem with having sex outside marriage though depending on the circumstances. The STD propganda they teach us now adays is a little bit extreme though, although one picture of Herpes...I did get kicked out of health class for commenting on how a genitlia with herpes looks like a Klingon though. That was the highlight of freshmen year. But honestly, I believe once again it's up to people's choice. We're all indivuals, and assuming you aren't forcing someone into sex, I think it should be tolerated and I think it shouldn't be frowned upon, assuming people can deal with the consequences. The girl might get pregnant, and you can't just leave the kid on the side of the street somewhere. That's the only part I don't like about the whole situation - the kids involved. It seems heartless and cold to just leave a kid out on his own or something like that. It wasn't the kids fault that he came to be, and I honestly thing people need to be prepared for the consequences, otherwise we're going to have kids growing up in broken families, or surrogate families, and I can only imagine what that must be like.

Hopefully my rambling made sense, and I didn't offend anybody ;)

4. zero

zero OMG Member

Threads:

That was classic

5. Pyro

Pyro OMG Member

Threads:
    Going to go ahead and move this to The Tiki Hut ;)

6. Davidk

Davidk OMG Member

Threads:
    My personal opinion is that abortion should be against the law. It's murder, plain and simple. A woman shouldn't have sex if she doesn't want to get pregnant, that is the risk you take, or take birth control pills. There are plenty of ways to avoid it. But if you dont want the child there are organizations that take children for that reason!

I dont think you should go around having one night stands, no.

7. zero

zero OMG Member

Threads:
    I think one night stands are healthy. I agree you must be protected, not from pregnancy as much as diseases. Not just aids, you can get other things that arent very pleasent. (or, uh, so Ive heard), but in my position, and alot of other people out there are like me, I just dont have time to mantain a relationship with a girl right now. I work six days a week, work on this website and another, and run one myself. I use the very few hours a week I get free to go have fun with my friends and drink a few beers. Plus, I sleep during the day and work at night, so Im always up different hours from others. So my situation is, I dont have time for a girlfriend, and I am a man and need to get sex somewhere.

there is also a couple better ways to go for pregnant women than abortion though. practicing safe sex, which is the most obvious, and also birth control and the "morning after" pill. The last one is semi controversial, but I think it falls well within my own moral standards. I believe that in the real world, not having sex is just not an option, Its a basic human need. Its all about the responsibility you exude. I dont think dudes should go around knocking up women, thats pretty uncool. Some women do the same thing in reverse. It depends on the individual.
    I believe two consenting adults can sleep together and not have any other type of relationship.

Im rambling.....sorry.

8. Pyro

Pyro OMG Member

Threads:
    I sort of agree with zero, although I'm a bit too young for sex (even though the age of consent in Ohio is 16 or something :D ). I personally believe that doing anything sexual, as long as it's within the law, are people's own personal choice. However, if you don't want a baby, you need to take the extra precautions and make sure you can accept the responsibility if something were to happen.

9. OP
    xoyoungdreamerox

Threads:
    Alright, I'm a weird one. After years of being raised in church I still in one form or another have my own mind. I feel that abortions no matter the excuse are murder. the murder and death of a womans unborn child and that I find extremely unacceptable. I feel strongly that if you dont want a child you got yourself knocked up with then it is your responsiability to fix the problem you created in away that doesnt involve murder. After all your baby didnt asked to be born unto you. She didnt ask for you to spread your legs know full well what could happen, and she most certainly shouldnt have to be killed for your mistake. I hate the way most Mothers go about getting rid of their "mistake". I feel that a child is never a "mistake", and that you should always treat a child with the kindness, love, and respect it deserves even if you dont want it then you should put it up for adoption or some such humane aspect or consideration. [ i have to go ill get back to everyone on the rest later.]

10. Azhria Lilu

Azhria Lilu OMG Member

Threads:
    I think you're a little extreme in your reactions youngdreamer.

What if a woman was raped and found herself pregnant with the child of the rapist? Would you expect her to carry that child to term, whilst she lived in fear that she might - if her mental state had become unstable due to her ordeal - do herself or her unborn babe damage?

Or what if the baby was going to be handicapped in such a way that the child would live in pain for all of its life?

There are too many variables to sit and state that abortion is wrong no matter what. It depends on the circumstances. Personally I don't agree with abortion and would never have one, but I would not dream of forcing my opinion onto another woman.

11. OP
    xoyoungdreamerox

Threads:
    Yes, I WOULD expect her to carry the baby to term even if she were raped. After all why punish the child? The child didnt asked to be born unto her as I pointed out earlier. Rape isnt an excuse to go around killing off babies. If you dont want it then give it up for adoption. Dont ditch it on the street or try to boil it in a microwave. I have never been raped, but I have many a friend who have, and they share the same beliefs as I and it's not like I'm stopping around huffing and puffing and saying a bunch of stuff that I wouldnt do myself. If I got raped and got pregnant I'd keep my baby and love him/her no matter what. Of course part of the intensity of my feelings come from the fact that I've loved children ever sense I can remember. Who is going to speak up for children who have no voice to speak for themselves except for other adults. I've wanted a baby ever sense I was a little child and sense that now there is a chance that I have a rather bad disease of the female orgins that I may never be able to have a child that I've born myself for as long as i live. People tend to treat children like shit and dont realize what precious gifts they are. How do you think it feels to sit there and watch all these people you know get abortions, abandon, neglect, kill, and abuse their children when you want one so badly? When people just throw children aside like trash just because things didnt go the way they wanted too. I've want a child all my life it's been my dream and to be told at 21 that i basically could never have one is horriable. It makes me FURIOUS. Yes furious to see how these parents treat these children and go about doing things. I couldnt even begin to relate my pain to you.

12. Azhria Lilu

Azhria Lilu OMG Member

Threads:
    I think you have a very blinkered and stifled outlook to be perfectly honest. Life is not black and white and you cannot say for certain how you would feel about being pregnant by someone who had forced you into non-consensual sex.

To be honest, I believe you are allowing your own personal disappointment at being told you cannot have children to overrule common sense and sound judgement.

13. zero

zero OMG Member

Threads:
    Its a womans decision in any case wether or not she wants to have a baby or not.

Despite all the religious and moral arguments, it comes down to that one thing. Even if its illegal, if a chick is determined enough, she can get an abortion. Why not just make it her decision legally and make the procedure at least safe?

14. Azhria Lilu

Azhria Lilu OMG Member

Threads:
    Exactly! Even when abortion was illegal, there were girls going to backstreet doctors to get it done and that causes so much damage as you can never tell if it's a reputable doctor or not.

15. Pyro

Pyro OMG Member

Threads:
    I don't know. I still think it's split down the middle, but as a generalisation, the religious people seem to lean toward the "a baby is a living thing and should not be killed", while the non-religious people tend to argue that "the baby isn't a human yet, it's an un-developed fetus."

I hate to walk the middle line on issues constantly, but I think this one comes down to one thing. If an abortion is done in do time, do you consider an unborn undeveloped fetus a human being? Does killing it have any ramifications? Scientifically, I think the arguement would be that the fetus can't feel anything and really isn't considered a child. Religion I guess becomes a factor and what you believe. If there is a God, is this child one of his creations, or is it a sack of DNA and simply a matter of evolution?
    Science vs. Religion seems to be the core of a lot of debates, and it's something I really can't answer, so I generally try not to lean toward either extreme.

16. zero

zero OMG Member

Threads:
    Allot of superheros were scientists.

Spiderman was a scientist, batman was a scientist, the Hulk was originally a scientist, Mr fantastic....scientist.

this has nothing to do with the conversation, but I just wanted to throw this out there.

yeah.

17. Pyro

Pyro OMG Member

Threads:
    So Spiderman is probably pro-choice? :cool:

18. zero

zero OMG Member

Threads:
    Spiderman most likely is, but Capt. America probably isn't, Batman could go either way, Superman is a definate republican, he's anti for sure, But the Punisher and Wolverine are pro, they would just kill the little tike when he grew up anyways.

19. OP
    xoyoungdreamerox

Threads:
    Why dont you just say I'm opinated and stubborn, and dont sit in my face and say I see things in black and white because you dont know what colors I see the world in, and another thing. Just because people go behind one anothers backs to jump off bridges doesnt make the fact that their jumping of them right and that is souly my point.I see it as wrong where you can see it as whatever you want, but I know myself, and I knoq my friends and none of us would ever resort to killing small babies for mistakes we did or didnt make thank you very much. It's still wrong. Killing people- rather it be babies are adults is murder.

20. zero

zero OMG Member

Threads:
    Touche, but killing some adults and children isnt seen as murder.

I believe the term they are using nowadays is "liberating".

21. Azhria Lilu

Azhria Lilu OMG Member

Threads:
    Oh dear.... I suggest if you can't have a discussion about something without getting emotional, then don't have a discussion at all. I never said you were opinionated and stubborn, I said you were letting your emotions cloud your own judgement - do try and be accurate when trying to dispute a person's arguments.

Everyone is entitled to their views and being obnoxious and accusing will not bring people around to your point of view.

Just for the record I'm currently pregnant with my third child. I personally wouldn't ever consider having an abortion for any reason other than the baby would suffer a life of misery and pain due to deformity, disability or illness when it was born - but that does not mean I will sneer at anyone who wishes to make the decision to abort their unborn child. It's their choice, not mine.

People are all different, and circumstances do not always treat kindly. My point was unless you know the full details of a situation which could result in an abortion, then please don't sit there and spout off about how you could NEVER kill an unborn child. Never is an awful long time and you don't know what life will deal out to you.

Now, please, if you can't respond in a civil tone and with at least some grammar and structure to your sentences, please don't bother replying at all.

22. zero

zero OMG Member

Threads:
    I would have no problem with it if its what the woman wanted to do.

23. Davidk

Davidk OMG Member

Threads:
    I've been out of this conversation long enough, due to my leave of absence. I believe it's time to jump back in.

Now again this is my own personal opinion, I don't claim to be a expert on the subject, but from the way I see it, a woman should NOT legally be able to have an abortion unless she: a) Was raped, and it was non-consensual. | That is the only way I see for an abortion to be RIGHT.

If you want to have sex and do so, then get pregnant doing so, it's no ones fault but your owns, and you should live with your decision. If you don't want the baby after birth, there are many agencies and organizations that take them off your hands. There are funds available for "rape victims" so that the medical costs get paid by the state, so if you don't want the child, you don't pay a dime.

If you want to have sex, then go ahead, that is your perogative, and your choice, but killing a innocent life because you don't want to go through the pain and suffering of YOUR CHOICES, is wrong.

Just my opinion :) I think children are beautiful things, and sex is a beautiful gift from God. Don't abuse it.

Lilu (No idea how to pronounce your first part) - Congratulations on your child!

YoungDreamer, no need to be hastey. You know "many a friend" who have been raped?

-David

PS- When did the new chick come into town? *points at Lilu*

24. zero

zero OMG Member

Threads:
    When laws start dictating what we can do with our own bodies, then our state has intruded much to far upon our persons.

Oh wait, the war on drugs, never mind, we already live in a dictatorship............

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice