Welcome to OMG boards community!
Community of friends where we talk about daily life, offtopic stuff, and what keeps us busy.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

Soccer in the United States

Discussion in 'The Sports Bar' started by tongyun, Jun 2, 2009.

1. tongyun

tongyun OMG Member

Threads:
    Likes Gained:
    Soccer in the United States

Why isn't professional soccer as big in the United States as it is throughout the rest of the world? Look around the United States and you'll see kids on Saturdays playing in organized leagues but for some reason the game hasn't translated well to the professional level. Any guess why?

2. mvanderwal

mvanderwal OMG Member

Threads:
    Likes Gained:
    Soccer is big in Canada, but its kind of strange how its big. I think its big in large cities like Toronto because there is so much multi-culturalism, but not so big in smaller places because soccer just isn't really a big sport that Canadian kids play if you were born and raised here. I personally don't like soccer at all, and no one really close to me likes to watch or play it. But I know when FIFA World Cup is on, Toronto is pretty much shut down, and when Toronto FC play, they sell out!

3. andrew25

andrew25 OMG Member

Threads:
    Likes Gained:
    It is true that soccer is not being too famous in United States. Irrespective of the large appeal soccer holds, it is still not being widely appreciated. I would certainly like to see this trend changed with professional soccer matches played on a large level in United States.

4. MjrNuT

MjrNuT OMG Member

Threads:
    Likes Gained:
    Hey andrew25,

I'm not quite sure what your reference is regarding soccer not being that widespread or appreciated in the US, but I'd have to disagee with you on that considering the last 8 years, easily.

Prior to 1994, I would agree with you. That is b/c it was the turning point for US soccer when hosting the World Cup. Even more so hosting Women's World Cup, which spearheaded the women's league. Yes, now that is gone, yet the activity still is there with MLS. The performance of the Men's team in World Cup back in Germany was probably the last best influx of energy. I'd say the wave has steadily decreased, with minor breaths of fresh air on occassion.

To answer your question as to why soccer may still feel like the red-headed step child, is merely b/c the sport does not cater to TV very well. It's not commercial friendly and its not immediate action. It has its own play style unlike the typical sports in the US (ie., football, baseball, basketball, hockey, etc.).

In my opinion, the game does not appease the instant gratification that the typical US sports do.....