Social Networks and you | Security & Privacy

CrayCray

OMG Member
Care about your shitty accounts. They matter.

Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 12.02.19.png

There are so many social sites out there to which you can sign up for. And sometimes you try them out. And they will be great, or not.. And you stick around, .. or not.

But they get hacked, they get sold, they get abused, and you don't care. But you should.

Their public profiles, as well as the leaked data can be combined to create a better idea of who you are and what you do online.

If two databases get compromised and your email is used on both. And their passwords get public. You can say: "Whatever, i dont use it anyway". But together with the password and your username that you seem to want to use. And your password style, they can guess the password and get into your profile on the sites you would freak out and panic about if they got in.

If you signed up on siteA with bob@example.com and pass my-cat-is-great
And signed up on SiteB with bob@eaxmple.com with pass my-cat-is-awesome
Maybe it's not so hard to figure out and read your facebook msgs, if your pass is my-cat-is-fantastic

And don't say you dont care about facebook, we all know everybody had private msgs there they dont want others to read.

So care about those sites you dont care about. They don't care about you either. And that's where the danger lies. Their data leaks out, and they get hacked all the time. Together it's a big enough profile to allow abuse on sites where you do care about your profile.

Last edited by a moderator:

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
Eh, when I get around to it, yes :) A yearly update, why not! :D