Welcome to OMG boards community!
Community of friends where we talk about daily life, offtopic stuff, and what keeps us busy.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

spam driving me crazy

Discussion in 'Manage your Site' started by dvsDave, Jun 1, 2009.

1. dvsDave

dvsDave OMG Member

Threads:
    spam driving me crazy

I have vB 3.8.1 PL1 installed.

I'm using ReCaptcha, StopForumSpam, and another spam mod that checks the incoming IP against the spamhaus.org zen list. And I have 5 additional profile questions that have to be answered before you can join.

Even after all of that, I'm STILL getting a lot of spam, all about the aiseesoft video conversion software. Anybody else had success in blocking this particularly irritating spam?

2. Floris

Floris I'm just me :) Hi. Staff Member

Threads:
    Re: Aiseesoft.com spam driving me crazy

I wish I have. We have taken quite some measures ourselves and the spam still gets through.

3. schwab2clarkson

schwab2clarkson OMG Member

Threads:
    Re: spam driving me crazy

Have you tried ip banning and banning their urls?

I don't have that much spam but when I do I have got a really good way to block them. I use the question/answer option and put in trick questions to stump those bots and spammers.
    They work. Haven't had many join up.

Make sure that you haven't got the option where guests can post because that's annoying. They should be able to read it but then not post.

4. Mach5

Mach5 OMG Member

Threads:

There is a plug-in called stop the spam bots that is amazing. It worked on my forum. It stops 90% of the spam bots:
    http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=183917

You might want to try this one as well:
    http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=183329&highlight=stop+spam

PM me with more questions.

5. vithorius

vithorius OMG Member

Threads:

Spam on vb boards are a really big trouble...!

If you search some torrents websites for "vbulletin", you will find some bad-bad scripts, tools and alike, used by spammers, specifically directed to vb boards...

That is soooooo bad... :mad:

6. creativepart

creativepart OMG Member

Threads:
    If you've got one consistent problem like Aiseesoft.com simply add Aiseesoft that to your word censor.

The other thing to try is to put new users into a custom usergroup that can't post any links.

Either way, Aiseesoft.com will see that spamming your board has zero effect and they'll go away.

Look for patterns in the email addresses of spammers. Many of my spammers are sneaker sales and cell phone spams. I've had good luck banning these words in email addresses, too:
    phone
    mobile
    ltd
    store
    sell
    sales
    shoes
    sale
    cashier
    discount
    obama
    ticket
    purchase
    buy
    trade
    trading
    shopping
    nike

I add these in vb options > user banning options > Banned Email Addresses.

Some words can cause problems if you do this -- I've had to remove 3 or 4 terms from this list that blocked too many real people.

7. TheLastSuperman

TheLastSuperman OMG Member

Threads:
    Do any of your five additional fields that must be answered utilize regular expression?

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...the-registration-to-prevent-bot-registrations

I use what you use minus the IP mod but plus a regular expression profile field that must be answered before registering, wording the description takes some finesse but if you do it right this works and stops spam 99.9% of the time unless it's a human operating before they put it on auto-pilot. I have not had ANY spam bots since I started utlilizing those three methods on over 11 of my clients sites.

Hope that helps.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice