Welcome to OMG boards community!
Community of friends where we talk about daily life, offtopic stuff, and what keeps us busy.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

[Story] Snowboarding.

Discussion in 'Awesome Media' started by zero, Jan 25, 2005.

1. zero

zero OMG Member

Snowboarding.

So, Im halfway down the hill, covered in snow, higher than the Rocky mountains themselves, when I take another bad spill off a hidden log. Now, the first one was decent, but this one, this one hurt. For about a second and a half, while I was laying in the snow, staring at the sky, I nearly got the fear. Intense pain shot up my leg, and I was afraid that it was broken and I was gonna have to lay there until some animal came and chewed it off for me.

But, like I said, that feeling only lasted for a second and a half, maybe even less. It was the sky that snapped me out of it. The stars and the enormity of the universe that hit me all at once, making the cold, my pain, and the distance to the car all seem insignificant. It was then when I realized exactly where I was in comparison to the rest of the world. I was here, where no other man was, in perfect harmony with nature.

The wilderness I was in has killed men before. I remember thinking about how one ancient night on this very mountain, another man may have sat here in this very spot, and his future would have been very bleak indeed. Had his spirit been watching from the trees, the great smile on my face may have confused him to no end. Right then, at that very moment, I was right where I was supposed to be. Alive, in the middle of nowhere.

It took me about twenty minutes to leave that spot. I felt like I was a part of that mountain. I had imagined it as one big organism, and me as the life blood that ran down the slope. When I got on my board again, it was just a whole different feeling. I was no longer a visitor in this strange, wild land, I was as much a part of it as it was a part of me. It was one of those places, you know, the places that you only visit for a few minutes, but that stay with you the rest for your life.

It was cold, and very dark on top of that lonley mountain deep in the Unforgiving Colorado wilderness. I made the three hour hike from the base of the slope in two and a half, and now looked upon the great Rocky Mountains and all its magestic splendor from the second branch of an old, dead, decrepid half tree, waiting to exhale the herbal smoke that i kept so carefully hidden in my lungs for so long. As the cloud rose from deep in my throat it seemed to engulf the entire landscape with hints of dopey goodness.

Or at least thats what i thought of at the time. It was one of those strange things that happen in the midst of a head rush when the whole world around you changes, and all of a sudden becomes a bit more colorfull, the point where everything just seems so much cooler. For half a second, i thought i could see others like me, dotting the canvas-like landscape, All waiting for that right moment to blaze down the dangerous mountain's in a fit of rage and glory that can only be described as crazy and, in some circles, even suicidal.

But there was no way anyone could be anywhere near my position, that was the whole reason for picking this mountain. Looking back, it may have not been the greatest decision in the world, seeing as how I was alone, and there is no cell phone service out in those parts. Getting hurt or trapped would have meant certain death in a climate such that, but the only thing bothering me was the nine millimeter digging into my rib cage. God damn cheap shoulder holsters.

It was almost time. I could see it coming, the blunt was becoming a roach, and my anticipation level had reached a code red. I could feel myself coiling up like a snake about to snatch its prey, and the mountain was my mouse. I took one last pull from the phillie before i flicked it out down onto the glowing white snow, and slowley dropped my goggles into the proper eye sheilding postition. One last deep breath, the quiet before the storm, the final calming moment before I let loose all my blood and rage upon this cold, unpredictable path. And then, in the flick of an eye, i was gone.

When it starts, its like a major rush of adrenaline and everything around you disapears except the path set forth before you by nature herself. At this point, there is no feeling the mountain out, it's either give 120% or die. By the time I got a few hundred yards away from the old tree, i was looking for airtime. The first was a small jump, which i took as hard as i could, the second a bit bigger than i had calculated, and i ate snow. Now, Crashing on a snowboard isnt as easy as it may seem, snow hurts at a fast rate of speed, and the sudden abrubt stop can make your organs leap from one end of your body to the other in a matter of microseconds. Regardless, i pushed on, by that time, i had no chioce.

I?ve never been back to that place. But I never really left either. I remember when I got back to the car, when the run was all over, I just couldn?t leave. I thought how to some this may look like a dark and lonely mountain, but to me, there was something greater out there I could feel. It was as if I was fighting the mountain, and when I stopped fighting it, it opened up, and we became inexplicably linked. It was like when I got there five hours ago, I came to do battle, but in that process I made the greatest friend I will ever have. I looked at my watch. It was 5:20 in the morning.

To this day, if I make it to 5:20 in the morning, I remember the mountain. I swear, some nights she even calls to me. I can still see the landscape, still feel the wind, still see the stars like I?m still right there, and time is frozen. Like I never left the mountain, or maybe, the mountain never left me.

2. OP
    zero

zero OMG Member

heres a picture (not of me, just of a mountain and a snowboarder) to help u get a feel for the story better.

[​IMG]

3. OP
    zero

zero OMG Member

by the way, this is a true story. I know i put it in fiction, but its kind of a short story as well. well, maybe not.

4. Davidk

Davidk OMG Member

Do you want me to critique it? :)

5. Pyro

Pyro OMG Member

I really like what you've done with it. I've never been a real huge fan of factual essays, however the way you described the mountain is great. The sheer description of the mountain is beautiful, and the essay could survive solely on that. Personally I don't think you built up too much suspense (I'm not too sure whether that your was your intention or not). But I can almost see this being in a snowboarding magazine ;) I think you did a good job with it, and you took an angle in writing it (focusing on the mountain itself) which isn't typically used. Kudos :)

6. OP
    zero

zero OMG Member

its not done, ill post the conclusion a bit later.

7. OP
    zero

zero OMG Member

Snowboarding, conclusion

So, Im halfway down the hill, covered in snow, higher than the Rocky mountains themselves, when I take another bad spill off a hidden log. Now, the first one was decent, but this one, this one hurt. For about a second and a half, while I was laying in the snow, staring at the sky, I nearly got the fear. Intense pain shot up my leg, and I was afraid that it was broken and I was gonna have to lay there until some animal came and chewed it off for me.

But, like I said, that feeling only lasted for a second and a half, maybe even less. It was the sky that snapped me out of it. The stars and the enormity of the universe that hit me all at once, making the cold, my pain, and the distance to the car all seem insignificant. It was then when I realized exactly where I was in comparison to the rest of the world. I was here, where no other man was, in perfect harmony with nature.

The wilderness I was in has killed men before. I remember thinking about how one ancient night on this very mountain, another man may have sat here in this very spot, and his future would have been very bleak indeed. Had his spirit been watching from the trees, the great smile on my face may have confused him to no end. Right then, at that very moment, I was right where I was supposed to be. Alive, in the middle of nowhere.

It took me about twenty minutes to leave that spot. I felt like I was a part of that mountain. I had imagined it as one big organism, and me as the life blood that ran down the slope. When I got on my board again, it was just a whole different feeling. I was no longer a visitor in this strange, wild land, I was as much a part of it as it was a part of me. It was one of those places, you know, the places that you only visit for a few minutes, but that stay with you the rest for your life.

I?ve never been back to that place. But I never really left either. I remember when I got back to the car, when the run was all over, I just couldn?t leave. I thought how to some this may look like a dark and lonely mountain, but to me, there was something greater out there I could feel. It was as if I was fighting the mountain, and when I stopped fighting it, it opened up, and we became inexplicably linked. When I got there five hours ago, I came to do battle, but in that process I made the greatest friend I will ever have. I looked at my watch. It was 5:20 in the morning.

To this day, if I make it to 5:20 in the morning, I remember the mountain. I swear, some nights she even calls to me. I can still see the landscape, still feel the wind, still see the stars like I?m still right there, and time is frozen. Like I never left the mountain, or maybe, the mountain never left me.

8. OP
    zero

zero OMG Member

now dave, you can critique the whole thing.

9. Davidk

Davidk OMG Member

Zero,

I have to say, I am impressed beyond extent. Very very well written. Although it's a factual essay like Midnight said, it's nothing like a essay, the way you describe everything is great.

There are a few grammar errors, but like I should talk, my stories probaly have more than everyone on here combined, lol.

I hope that if I ever critique something bad, it's not meant as offense man.. :) I hope I don't have any friction with any of the members here!

10. OP
    zero

zero OMG Member

not at all, i respect the opinions of others. we should have a star wars thread.

11. Davidk

Davidk OMG Member

I am in 100% agreement with you on the Star Wars thread :)

When are you going to critique my work? ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice