Welcome to OMG boards community!
Community of friends where we talk about daily life, offtopic stuff, and what keeps us busy.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

SWTOR Info: System Requirements

Discussion in 'SWTOR Discussion' started by TeHpUmKinKiNg, Jun 1, 2010.

1. TeHpUmKinKiNg

TeHpUmKinKiNg OMG Member

Threads:
    EDIT: New System Requirments Have Been posted!

SWTOR System Requirments

Although no official system requirements have been released for STAR WARS: The Old Republic, one of the most popular topics relating to the game is discussion of system requirements. To keep all these discussions consolidated, we have created this thread to speculate and discuss possible The Old Republic system requirements.

Although no official requirements have been published, this interview with BioWare's Gordon Walton gives some insight into the basic level of system requirements that BioWare is aiming for:

Please use this thread to speculate on the requirements, discuss whether your computer will be able to handle the game, and other topics directly related to TOR's system requirements.

As always, any discussion or responses found within is pure speculation; please do not take any requirements as official unless they come from BioWare.

2. ArchAngel_oth

ArchAngel_oth I'm Very Important

Threads:
    Well that's not news.

The basic rule of every MMO ever made is that everyone has to be able to play it, so the requirements have to be something extremely light weight.

Look at WoW. They chose that slightly cartoony look for a reason. The graphical style of the game is such that the polygon count per model is tiny, and the textures are almost just plain colours, but that sort of artistic style means the game still looks pretty good.

I'd say anything upwards of an Nvidia 7000 series will handle this fine. Possibly the 6000's too. And as for CPU... well, MMO's aren't really likely to go and have advanced physics or the like. The sum of their calculations tend to be closer to what damage you do, so even oldschool Pentium systems will likely be able to run it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. OP
    TeHpUmKinKiNg

TeHpUmKinKiNg OMG Member

Threads:
    Well, Guild Wars has amazing graphics, and it ran smooth on my low-end system. I would imagine SWTOR will be no different in that regard.

4. ArchAngel_oth

Threads:
    Ki... you haven't even seen good graphics with your puny little rig. :p

Guild Wars was very mediocre in graphics. The models are fairly low-poly, and the textures are not particularly high-res. Other than that, all it had was some pretty looking effects, which aren't particularly hard to render when it's just the occasional fireball here or bolt or lightning there. The whole gameworld was completely static, which means static lighting, which means static shadowing, which means barely any work done at all.

The killers come in with high quality textures, models and non-linear effects. Time of day, dynamic shadows, all them, they really kill the system. Crysis proved that quite nicely.

5. Delerium_oth

Delerium_oth Galactic Fetus

Threads:
    I plan on upgrading my video card, maybe around christmas or closer to release, unless I get into Beta maybe.

Right now i have an HD4350, but BFBC2 is balls on it even on low settings, although I do use my 37" sharp tv as my monitor. I know its a different game relying on different things but, I'm a graphics whore :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Red Menace

Red Menace OMG Member

Threads:
    Regardless of your system, as most MMO developers attempt make their game accessible to even the worst rigs, MMO performance really depends on the realm population. Even the best system can be ground to a halt trying to render a couple thousand players right in front of you.

• Like Like x 1
  7. OP
    TeHpUmKinKiNg

TeHpUmKinKiNg OMG Member

Threads:
    So long as I don't have to get another graphics card, I'll be happy.

8. dswtor

dswtor Citizen of the Forum

Threads:
    Its probably going to be at least 2 gigs of ram 50 gigs of free space and a duel core processor.

9. ArchAngel_oth

Threads:
    ... Doubt it.

It's still an MMO, if you'll recall. Ergo, low poly models, low quality textures, and no physics processing to speak of. Most calculation are handed server-side anyhow, so your CPU barely plays a role at all.

Hard Disk Space will be large, yeah, but no game in history uses 50Gigs. That's obscene. It'll be about 20, max.

Look at WoW. It's had three expansions or thereabouts by now, and it's about 15 gigs.

10. Morrow

Morrow I Heart FOTOR :hugs:

Threads:
    I have a fairly decent pc so I am not in the slightest bit worried.

I can imagine that even tho it is looking nice with graphics and textures most recent pc's will run it np

11. OP
    TeHpUmKinKiNg

TeHpUmKinKiNg OMG Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I don't think the system requirements will be too high, but I think 40-50 gigs might be right. This is, supposedly, the biggest video game in the history of gaming.

12. ArchAngel_oth

Threads:
    Simply having lots of stuff does not equate to taking up more disk space.

Remember, you might have 50 billion planets, but all of them follow the basic environment templates: Water planet, desert planet, forest planet, ice planet, urban planet.

When you have a giant desert, you get a half-dozen sand textures, and you repeat them. Alot. When you have a world covered in building, you make 50-odd different shaped buildings, and you plot them around based on an architectural design that means you don't see more than a couple of the same building at any one place. You only have 50 buildings, and each one with textures takes up maybe a couple of meg (say 5), minus compression. That's a world covered in cities that uses about 300mb without any compression.

Hell, just look at Far Cry 2. The game had a world of something like 50km^2, but it was 3GB in size. The area was incredibly huge for a game, I think probably the biggest total area in a game to date, but all of it was the same basic assets reused strategically to create diverse landscapes from the same template. There was resources for sand, rocks, trees, grass and mud (plus all the weapons, vehicles, people, etc)--all using a total of 3GB in disk space, simply because the devs used the same resources efficiently.

Put that into relation with SW:TOR; Far Cry 2 covered the desert and jungle spectrum, along with a diverse range of character models, plenty of dialogue, and dozens of weapons and vehicles, in 3GB; SW:TOR needs to cover something like 3x that amount in terms of environments, characters, weapons and vehicles, but all of them are going to be far lower quality in comparison, because Far Cry 2 was a very high-end game. So, 3x3, minus the quality difference, but giving room for excess, that's 10GB in models and textures.

Add dialogue and other sound files. That's your final file size.

tl;dr, if Bioware have any idea of efficiency, it will not take anywhere near 40Gig of disk space. Nor should it. If it did, it means they either have six metric tonnes of dialogue, or their file compression is horrendously bad--because I've seen their screenshots. They're good, but they are nowhere near high enough quality for 40GB good.

Furthermore, if they ask every player to dedicate 40+GB to this game, along with whatever updates come out, or whatever expansions they make... I'm not giving up that much space. I know people whose hardisks aren't even that big. That's killing a very large amount of your market, simply because your game is too big to fit on half the world's computer.

But anyway, use logic or don't. Your call. There's the reasoning, the in-depth analysis and everything. Take it as you will.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2010
  13. OP
    TeHpUmKinKiNg

TeHpUmKinKiNg OMG Member

Threads:
    Don't get me wrong- I don't want it to take up a huge chunk of my HDD. Guild Wars takes up enough! lol.

14. Darth_Sarn

Darth_Sarn Galactic Fetus

Threads:
    i have a very good pc, thats been upgraded, and is windows 7 so it should run smoothly, i hope this isnt a pay to play like wow otherwise i have to quit wow even though my guild split up and i have nothing to do for now really.

15. Bytesize

Bytesize Galactic Fetus

Threads:
    I would be utterly shocked if TOR is not pay to play. If BioWare is claiming that this game will be bigger than WoW they will need a dedicated team around the clock to be sure servers are running smoothly and that content is updated regularly so as to not bore the end-user. If I have to pay $15/month to play a game that looks like it could seriously compete and perhaps surpass my former love for WoW then I will happily pay it!

16. Kierra Skywalker

Kierra Skywalker Galactic Fetus

Threads:
    I don't really know about paying for TOR. I might not even be able to play TOR, anyway. My system barely runs solitaire, know what I mean?

17. Syrocc

Syrocc Galactic Fetus

Threads:
    Remember, that some MMO's focus on graphical detail more than others. In this regard, I'll use an example, mainly Aion from NCSoft. In the short time I've played it, I used an Intel Pentium 4 3.06 Ghz processor, with 2GB DDR Ram at 400mhz and a Geforce 7600 GT. It ran decently, around 25 or so frames, during normal gameplay, however, mass pvp and crowded city areas brought my PC to it's knees, even on the lowest resolutions and details. Seeing that my friends used stronger PC's with maxed out details, 50vs50 siege battles lagged out on nearly any PC anyway.

Back on topic, judging by the screenshots and details presented in SWTOR, I'd speculate that a mid-ranged Dual-Core CPU (or AMD X2 series) and higher should be enough, coupled with at least 2GB of DDR2 RAM (667mhz or higher), and a decent GPU (such as Nvidia 9k series or the newer 200 and 400 series, or the ATI higher-end 4k, or mid-ranged 5k series) should be enough to handle maxed out details on medium to high resolutions.

However, if you do expect (assuming the game will allow it) to play 1920 resolutions with every possible detail activated, it might require some more juice.

It's worth mentioning, that while Bioware makes insanely good games, graphics isn't their main focus. Apart from Dragon Age and Mass Effect, they didn't really focus on textures and such, preferring a more artistic approach to "eye-candy".

Regardless, I'm upgrading next week, to make sure that I will be perfectly capable of playing SWTOR, without worrying about fps and detail level. My configuration will be:

Asrock P55 Extreme motherboard

Intel i3 540 CPU, overclocked to 4.4k GHz/core

2x320GB Samsung Spinpoint F4 HDD's in Raid 0

Coolermaxter Hyper 212+ CPU cooler

2x4GB Corsair DDR dimms working at 1600mhz, Dual-Channel

Corsair 620W HX Modular PSU

2x Asus Ati Radeon HD 6850 in Crossfire, overclocked to 950mhz core and 4600 RAM speeds

NZXT Gamma Case

It's overkill, but it's a very solid build, and I don't plan on upgrading for the next 3-4 years. For those who care, it costs around 700-800$ in the US.

And PS: If your looking for a new build for Swotor or gaming in general, and need advice, let me know in a PM, building pc's is a hobby of mine. Also, I am not advertising for any company, I detailed my build to highlight what I prefer to use, not to promote any specific product.

Cheers!

18. OP
    TeHpUmKinKiNg

TeHpUmKinKiNg OMG Member

Threads:
    The Sys Reqs Lab now has support for TOR.

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/

simply click the link and select Star Wars: the Old Republic from the drop down menu, and it will launch a javascript that checks your system for the minimum specs.

19. Junk Angel

Junk Angel OMG Member

Threads:
    Here's the minimum requirements for anyone interested.

[​IMG]

Looking at it, they either have very severe scaling in place, or overall there will never be a lot of content in one place at a time. I've got a feeling the latter is more likely.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice