Welcome to OMG boards community!
Community of friends where we talk about daily life, offtopic stuff, and what keeps us busy.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

The Moon Is Shrinking!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Hawkeye, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Hawkeye

Hawkeye OMG Member

Threads:
    The Moon Is Shrinking!!

It appears that it is true. The moon is shrinking. I will need to slowly go through the large amount of info at the link before I will know if this is a problem.:D

I kind of got myself caught up in the cool moon pics and vid.

In the meantime...
    The fucking moon is shrinking!!!

Source

2. Floris

Floris I'm just me :) Hi. Staff Member

Threads:
    How the hell is that possible, besides that there are outside source gravity pull or the moon getting into a more collide course with earth and has higher peaks and falls, making it wider and thinner, at a certain time in the loop?

Oh well, time to read the source .. I love science like this. Gives me something to read and think about. Thanks for posting.

3. OP
    Hawkeye

Hawkeye OMG Member

Threads:
    I had to read that thing twice. I'm still not sold. Seems to me if something is a certain mass, for it to shrink there either has to be some sort of internal collapse or some massive external pressure.

With government funded research, you really have to watch out for the things that are a result of some scientists saying, Holy shit! If we don't submit something by the deadline, we lose our research grant and we will have to get real jobs!
    :)

4. Mikey

Mikey :mikey: Staff Member

Threads:
    Uh. I dont know what to say.. it's shrinking? Or are we just getting further away from it. Maybe some idjit screwed his telescope on backwards. Sheesh

5. Nemmerle

Nemmerle OMG Member

Threads:
    Generally things that are getting hotter expand and cooling things shrink. The argument they're making is that the moon is shrinking as it cools, hence the weird scarps.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice