Welcome to OMG boards community!
Community of friends where we talk about daily life, offtopic stuff, and what keeps us busy.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

Tips on reviving a once thriving community?

Discussion in 'Manage your Site' started by Lasraik, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Lasraik

Lasraik OMG Member

Threads:
    Tips on reviving a once thriving community?

I've been reading some threads here and there are some great tips on managing and having an active forum.

My forum was a niche forum for an MMO game that has since fallen in popularity. With the fall in the games popularity, so has my forum activity. I still have a strong core of 15-20 people that visit regularly, but few of them still play the game and few of them still post actively.

I've tried branching out a bit, maybe a little too much into other types of games and other topics. It just has not seemed to be very effective.

Does anyone have tips on ways to revive a community? Is it better to start over from scratch rather than change topics?

2. Ricks937

Ricks937 OMG Member

Threads:
    Re: Tips on reviving a once thriving community?

Have you tried sending a emailing out to remind people? I'm not sure how effective that would be, but there are people who just forget to come back...

Good luck getting your users back

3. Walter

Walter OMG Member

Threads:

I'm in the same boat as you and I think that gaming forums are very tough to keep alive... I'm currently thinking about merging some forums, have already tried all I can think about (newsletters, gifts, ....)

4. schwab2clarkson

schwab2clarkson OMG Member

Threads:

It all depends what you guys have done to make it so boring.

If it was open to the public to be able to read all the threads on the board then you would have more members.
    If there were idiots on the board who tried to ruin it for everyone, get rid of them.

Also putting up some awesome threads will get people back.

I added a blog to mine and have got a couple of people back.

5. Impulse_ND

Impulse_ND OMG Member

Threads:
    Try adding some extra features and putting up a new skin and then re-launching the forum as it was new with contests and stuff like that. I've never done it myself, but if it's a gaming site then you can maybe have a tournament.

6. Floris

Floris I'm just me :) Hi. Staff Member

Threads:
    Instead of re-doing the theme, I recommend to take a step back, create good content, and tweak the existing theme. Work with your staff to get things done. And mail out a newsletter on a regular basis informing the users on the site of new content.

Make featured content on the frontpage, and write blogs about how the site is progressing. And invite users to premium usergroups and ask them to invite their friends.

Word of mouth + tweaked design + especially: Good content
    and informing your users about this all, HELPS.

7. AdamFL

AdamFL OMG Member

Threads:
    If members lost interest in your forum it's because the topic of the community is not hot anymore? maybe outdated games? I'm not a gamer myself so I don't know but I'm sure there's other games or concepts that are hot and worth switching to? you should still use your existing strenght/loyal members to upgrade your concept?
    Maybe it's like Kodak not wanting to invest in the digital photography and stuck with the regular films...who still use films and not memory cards.

8. creativepart

creativepart OMG Member

Threads:
    The outdated niche is a problem that's difficult to overcome. I agree that branching to to new, related areas is vital.

My niche's have not become outdated, but I've had sagging forums before. Last year, I took a 4 year old forum that was dying from inactivity and added a usage contest to it and it worked wonders.

I used a dot org mod called VBexperience, got a vendor to donate a decent prize package and ran a three month contest based on usage. One key was that the winner wasn't one person with the most usage, but the top 25 users were entered into a drawing to win the prize. This gave a larger group an incentive to keep trying in the face of one clear "leader" in the contest.

My site before the contest had 15 to 20 online users at a time. At the end of the contest it had 80 to 100. Now, one full year later the site averages 120 to 150 online users. Overall growth for the site over one year has been over 600% according to Google Analytics.

I did nothing else but the 3-month contest.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice