Welcome to OMG boards community!
Community of friends where we talk about daily life, offtopic stuff, and what keeps us busy.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

Tor price insanities

Discussion in 'SWTOR Discussion' started by Junk Angel, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Junk Angel

Junk Angel OMG Member

Threads:
    So anyone else already heard about the absolutely riduculous prices of TOR?

Feels like they want to kill the game before it even starts.

2. Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

Threads:
    I haven't heard anything. Not that I really care since I have no intention of buying the game anyway.

How much is it, though? In Euros, please. Prices expressed in American Dollars (or any other currency except Euros and my country's national currency) mean squat to me.

3. LilMistress T

LilMistress T OMG Member

Threads:
    I'm interested to know how much it is too... Except in USD

4. OP
    Junk Angel

Junk Angel OMG Member

Threads:
    I think the preorder on origin was 45UKpounds which for an MMO that's not WoW or Guildwars (due to lack of monthly fees) is frankly ridiculous. The collectors edition was knocking at 150USD or something like that as well.

Well wasn't thinking of buying it either, but it seems like EA is not certain about the longetivity of the game and is trying to get as much resources back as it can.

5. Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

Threads:
    American. Hrmpf. :p

Hmm... let's see: British Pounds, American Dollars... nope. Not even a single Euro in sight. :p

Or maybe... *puts sunglasses on* ...they think the game is worth the price and everyone will buy it, regardless of how much it costs.

[​IMG] :p

6. LilMistress T

LilMistress T OMG Member

Threads:
    Well one website I looked at the pre-order form said you can pre-order for 60 USD ... In Euros that is somewhere in the range of 41 or 42

7. Fetter

Fetter More fun than a barrel of STDs

Threads:
    Excuse me for being naive, especially on this forum, but is there a subscription plan for TOR or is it a one-time payment deal? Because it just seems incredibly counter-productive at this juncture for them to price the game so high and then expect people to pay $20 a month or however much it's gonna be.

8. TeHpUmKinKiNg

TeHpUmKinKiNg OMG Member

Threads:
    Gotta love those damn sunglasses....

OK, here's the deal with pricing: Pre-Orders include early game access, PLUS a month's subscription. Yes, Fetter, there will be a subscription ($14.99/mo). It bites, but it's a necessary evil.

The Collector's Edition (which is what I ordered yesterday from GameStop) is $149.99 USD. It includes the discs and a bunch of other goodies, including a figurine statue of Malgus (which I totally intend to hock on eBay for $100). Is it worth it? Depends- for me it is, at least for a month. But, I've been putting back $10 a month for the last year for this game.

The prices are a tad high, and that's coming from someone who is MEGA PUMPED for this game (me). I do plan on purchasing a second or even third account, just for our members. If I get the other two accounts, I'll give them away to our members- that way, more of my friends (that's you guiz) can play the game with me.

I expect the initial price of the game to drop by Spring next year, to something like $39.99 USD, just so they can get more players.

9. Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

Threads:
    That's not much. Converted to my country's national currency, that's around 300 KN. I mean, it is much, but still cheaper than the usual price local stores charge for games, which is around 400 KN / 53 Euros / 77 US Dollars. I expected the price to be higher than that.

http://www.marlamin.nl/csi/ :p

That much? :eek: That's around 780 KN! Yikes!

Or maybe... *puts sunglass on* ...you could run another forum contest and offer it as a prize.

[​IMG]

I know, I know... I'm overdoing it. :p

I'd say more than a tad...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2011
  10. TeHpUmKinKiNg

TeHpUmKinKiNg OMG Member

Threads:
    [​IMG]

You can NEVER overdo it.

And, it's quite possible I'll give the Malgus away on the forums... Thank you for the idea! (I was going to use the money on eBay to buy a copy of the game to give away)

11. Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

Threads:
    Good to know. This gives me an idea for another thread. :p

That's also a good idea. Although, you might wanna cut back on giving stuff away like that. Babies tend to suck more than mother's milk, if you know what I mean. ;)

12. OP
    Junk Angel

Junk Angel OMG Member

Threads:
    Ki - I have to admit I absolutely don't see the sense of the CE. Mostly because there's absolutely nothing in it to warrant the absolutely insane price. Compare it with the CE of Deus Ex HR or Witcher 2. Hell the witcher has more stuff in the standard box than TOR in the CE.

It just feels really cheap. Not to mention the fact that it has a subscription fee.

13. Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

Threads:
    And yet, it's expensive. Groovy. :p

14. TeHpUmKinKiNg

TeHpUmKinKiNg OMG Member

Threads:
    Well, I've never had a premium... anything. Especially in toys, like video games. This is just something I wanted. When it's all said and done, and worth it or not, I can look back and say that, just this once, I went Balls to the Wall. I bought the CE.

15. Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

Threads:
    Alea iacta est. :p

16. OP
    Junk Angel

Junk Angel OMG Member

Threads:
    Yeah I can see the merit in that. To be honest I'm still mostly pissed they made TOR as opposed to KOTOR 3

17. Tricorder

Tricorder Resident Maid

Threads:
    You're pissed? Don't you know that anger leads to the Dark Side of the Force? ;)

18. Fetter

Fetter More fun than a barrel of STDs

Threads:
    Totally agree. I blame the publisher. No doubt they'll make BioWare churn out a Mass Effect MMO in a couple years time. Followed by a DragonAge MMO. And then a Jade Empire MMO.

Fucking EA games. I hate them.

19. OP
    Junk Angel

Junk Angel OMG Member

Threads:
    To be honest by now I think the issue is more with Bioware than EA.

Just compare their new games with anything made around the 00's. Hell even NWN was better the majority of stuff they produced recently in some sense. And the biggest example of how bad BW is becoming is DA2.

I honestly have no clue what happened to them. I can only imagine that they lost a lot of good creative talent to other studios over the years and definitely lost most of their decent writers.

Just compare them to obsidian. While buggy as fuck, their games tend to have vastly better characters and storylines than anything BW has been able to produce in a long long time. Just take a look at mask of the betrayer. Or even compare Kotor 1 to kotor 2.

I've noticed a lot of folks actually becoming disillusioned with BW lately. Again mostly because of DA2, but I hear a lot of mumbling about ME's as well. Most of all with the material they're releasing about ME3. Like flight attendant Ashley etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2011
  20. TeHpUmKinKiNg

TeHpUmKinKiNg OMG Member

Threads:
    I dunno- from everything I've seen... to all the testers I've talked to (both online and IRL), the game seems pretty kick ass. "Imagine KOTOR, but a bagillion times better," is the general agreement among the players thus far.

21. OP
    Junk Angel

Junk Angel OMG Member

Threads:
    Because the current trend as players go is - fuck the story I want to murder stuff and look cool doing it. It's sad but true.

As far as I've heard from a couple of people I trust to have a good judgement - the game is hilariously boring and any pretend of a storyline gets quickly wallowed by neverending instance repeats.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2011
  22. TeHpUmKinKiNg

TeHpUmKinKiNg OMG Member

Threads:
    Now I've actually heard the opposite. Interesting.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice