Welcome to OMG boards community!
Community of friends where we talk about daily life, offtopic stuff, and what keeps us busy.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

vBSEO

Discussion in 'Manage your Site' started by UnknownUser, Feb 5, 2008.

1. UnknownUser

UnknownUser OMG Member

Threads:
    vBSEO

I've been considering vBSEO for my site.

I've heard both success and failure stories, and to be honest, I don't know which to believe.

Anyone had any experience? Does it actually work? Is it worth it for the long run?

Thanks,

Regards Jason :)

2. kushal

kushal OMG Member

Threads:
    Re: vBSEO

Yes, it would work for you. I had been using it at four of my sites, and they have been fairly performing well, and much better than without SEO.

3. OP
    UnknownUser

UnknownUser OMG Member

Threads:

Yes, I'll be purchasing it soon.

You've got be prepared to take risks in this business.

I've listened to both success and failure stories about vBSEO, however you will truly never know unless you try it.

Regards Jason :)

4. vbplusme

vbplusme OMG Member

Threads:

Care to quantify "much better" and how did you directly attribute this to vbseo?

Just curious but much better is in the realm of "a lot" so it is pretty much a nonsensical term when someone is about to spend hard $$$ with only a "smoke & mirror" recommendation such as this one appears to be.

IMHO, vbplusme

5. eJM

eJM OMG Member

Threads:

Curious as to why you would pick an argument with someone who posted nearly a year earlier. Especially when you can do a little research and find much better debates about vBSEO than this one. Oh wait, you don't like "much better." Pretty much nonsensical for someone not about to spend hard research time on something a lot of people have found value in. Oh there I go again - a lot of people - too subjective. Never mind.

Jim

6. vbplusme

vbplusme OMG Member

Threads:

Jeez, probably for the SAME reason you are posting a month later than mine? Looks like dates don't matter to you either ... subjective or not ... LOL :D

7. dadoc

dadoc OMG Member

Threads:

It works very well and I dont think it is over priced, with all the extra options you get with it, it is worth the money.
    I have had it for 6 months and even if it makes me think that I am doing the best for my site to survive I am happy, there is nothing to prove. it just makes sense.

8. vbplusme

vbplusme OMG Member

Threads:

Not the same thing as hard data but if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy, I think that's a good thing though for my $$$ it is a stiff price to pay for snake oil :D.

9. eJM

eJM OMG Member

Threads:

Let's see now... what do SEO experts charge these days? Maybe $35.00 an hour and up. And how long would it take them to accomplish in code work what vBSEO has done for 150.00? Or maybe one could just learn everything that vBSEO does - you know, by reading, visiting dozens of websites, maybe taking a couple classes. 'Course, I wouldn't be able to work as much if I wanted quality results for my education in a really short period of time. So, say I cut my hours back even just 1 or 2 a day for a couple weeks - and you know that ain't enough to learn it all, but it's a start. Well, since I make an average of 45.00 per hour, that would be at least.... ummm, 225.00. That's 75 bucks more than vBSEO costs - not counting the continuing education in SEO and extended efforts to do what vBSEO does, which over time would only cost me 30.00 per year for vBSEO updates, but prob'ly a lot more in time and cash on my own...

Yeah, you're right. vBSEO is just snake oil. But it seems like it's a lot cheaper snake oil than what it might cost me to do it all on my own. Unless you wanna do it for me for free. I mean everything that vBSEO does, you do (or someone) for free.

vBSEO might be snake oil to you. But it's a valuable tool for me and worth every penny I pay for it. Even without the Adsense revenue, which isn't too awfully bad, it's still worth it to get me listed higher and better than other niche forums like mine that have been around many more years than mine. It's worth it that it makes my members, who know absolutely nothing about keywords, masters at posting relevant keywords and anchor text for links. It's worth it when I look at the URL and know exactly where on the forum I am. It's worth it when people post links to my site in other forums that are filled with keywords that help others find my website even if links are turned off on those forums (which is common practice in a several forums in my niche).

It's a shame that opponents of vBSEO think in such narrow and shallow terms. Often it's those who SEO comes easy to, or who think they know more than the combined efforts of the professionals who develop quality SEO products, or who just don't have a real appreciation for what the average forum owner does beyond managing their forums and what that might be worth. I can't help but feel they are being short-sighted. And it makes them feel better to belittle the person who has actually weighed the economics and educational value to the nth degree and came to the conclusion that vBSEO is well worth the 149.00 initial cost and the 30.00 per year renewal (or whatever the current costs are). So, go ahead. I am ready for your insulting and snide remarks. I spent 35 years in business and my forum is just an extension of that and I am quite satisfied with my business decision. I'm sorry it bothers you and some others so much.

Jim

10. schwab2clarkson

schwab2clarkson OMG Member

Threads:

Just to add a couple of questions.

What's SEO like?

How's it different to vBulletin?

Also can you just get add ons like you do with vBulletin?

11. Floris

Floris I'm just me :) Hi. Staff Member

Threads:

SEO is not a program or forum software like vBulletin.

Check wikipedia for details :)

12. Brian

Brian OMG Member

Threads:

SEO is very complex indeed - and vBSEO is a very important SEO component for vBulletin powered forums. That does not mean that general marketing principles and other SEO aspects should be disregarded.

vBSEO provides an enhanced SEO solution set that fully addresses duplicate content issues and sets it apart from 1st generation mod_rewrite hacks, produces results as verified by our outstanding customer reviews, delivers ROI, scales seamlessly And when people link to a they link to the the showthread.php version, not the archived version.

But here's the other thing. showthread.php?t=2579 GMT will never do as well as name-of-thread.html or name-of-thread.php in the SE's.

FYI: I had a board which has no SEO at all (not even the stock 3.5 optimization as we are still running 3.0), has a PR of 2-4 (depending on the pages) and gets < 5% visitors from search engines.

13. MarinerNick

MarinerNick OMG Member

Threads:

I think vBSEO is a great product (although not necessary to successfully maintain substantial SERPs and optimization).

I just bought my first license yesterday and I'm excited to see what it can do for me. :)

14. AdamFL

AdamFL OMG Member

Threads:

vBSEO is great for vbulletin forums. I have it on both my forums and it helped alot indexing pages. I think the combination of vBSEO and a great content/niche will lead to success.

15. tester23

tester23 OMG Member

Threads:

Most of the forums that i know are very successful dont use vbseo, in fact i only know of one large forum that does use it.

I only came across it recently so have just started looking into it, but at this stage dont think my forum is ready for it. This is not a redlection on good or bad, just my current (newb) opinion

16. anthonyparsons

anthonyparsons OMG Member

Threads:
    I will simply add this to the question about VBSEO. It goes a little something like this:

• 3.x - This was an absolute abomination of a software version for anything SEO oriented. If you use this version, then you need something like VBSEO to aid it because it has so many issues that affect Google its just not even funny.
    • 4.x - There is zero requirement to use VBSEO with VB4 because it caters the 3 largest issues of the previous VB version, being it comes with friendly URL rewriting, it has removed all duplicate content from individual posts and such, and it allows you to turn the archive into a sitemap via the ACP linking directly to the original thread and not having a duplicate copy of any content visible to users or SE's. If you add the long tail mod from vb.org to your vb4 version, you pretty much have an optimal site that depends more on content than anything else from this point forward.
    • Upgrading - Regardless whether you use VBSEO or not, if you upgrade from 3.x to 4.x and change the URL structure, radically change the design, ie. use the suite which now uses a different homepage than the forum homepage in 3.x, you radically change the content from what you have now to what you have after the upgrade (ie. upgrade lots of forum threads to articles and delete the threads / duplicate them), then you will suffer rankings fluctuation, either positive, negative or no change, which has nothing to do with the software, it has to do with on-page factors and the URL itself if changed.
    VBSEO has positives and negatives, and quite honestly it all depends on which version you run to whether you absolutely need it or not. Again, if you told me you use 3.x, I would tell you that you should use it. If you run 4.x, then there is no requirement, though you may feel pressured into continuing it due to custom rewrite rules. You can 301 custom rules to the new out of the box URL's, but you will still lose traffic and rankings with 301's for an entire site. If money is not a problem, then use it... if it is a problem, then you don't require it with 4.x. The long tail mod at vb.org picks up what VBSEO pretty much achieves anyway, and it has a free and branding free version for use.

There are always going to be pro and con users to any software, and really VBSEO does come down to budget and taste. If you like it, use it. If you are a mum and dad type admin with no idea about template changes or installing mods, configuring, etc... then VBSEO is probably your better solution. If you know what your doing at a basic level, then with 4.x you don't need it at all, 3.x... absolutely!

The biggest thing to remember is that people have this perception that upgrading equals losing traffic, or installing VBSEO increases traffic. Not factual. Its not the software that has changed owners traffic both positive or negative, it is the change itself and how any admin implements the new software over a previous version. Google measures on-page text factors, or mathematically, a semantic connectivity algorithm, being their primary algorithm for ranking purposes nowadays. Change the text combination or quantity upon any page, you change your rankings. It really can come down to just one word / keyword phrase on a page that can change your entire rankings for a page / site / interpretation of what the site is about. Add to this the new Caffeine update which is only on a few data-centres and in a holding pattern for more work right now, and then you mix semantics with date based content to present the new order of rankings for Googles organic results.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice