Welcome to OMG boards community!
Community of friends where we talk about daily life, offtopic stuff, and what keeps us busy.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

VPS - How much will I have to do?

Discussion in 'Manage your Site' started by Vilandra, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Vilandra

Vilandra OMG Member

Threads:
    VPS - How much will I have to do?

Because I've been in max_user_connections hell for a while now, lol, I'm been giving lots of consideration to switching to VPS. And now I've just read Floris' blog on the topic (http://mrfloris.com/blogs/why-shared-hosting-is-history-upgrade-to-vps/)

My hesitation, which I think I've said before, is that I don't have any idea HOW to do this. I mean, I can learn, but I have a job where I can be away from the internet for long periods of time.

So I guess my question is, how much tending will a VPS take? How much will I have to do to keep it going day to day?

I don't want some problem to happen, and if I'm not online for a week, nothing gets done and the site is down all that time.

2. Brian

Brian OMG Member

Threads:
    VPS is always an deal for those who have outgrown a shared account, and for those like me who need of complete control along with the flexibility and freedom of dedicated server. Most importantly, it came with nearly all the benefits of a true dedicated server at a fraction of the cost.

But for your case, regarding "max_user_connections" what you're seeing is likely a result of poor hosting or an inefficient site, I don't generally see any max user connection issues - the only times I see those are either with peoples migrating from poor hosts, or sites with very inefficient databases. So if that was the reason you decided to move to a VPS over shared hosting, then that's a poor one.

Some VPS accounts have lower performance than high-end shared hosting systems - for example, for a cPanel system I'd recommend at least a VPS with 512Mb RAM and even then traffic surges will slow the system.

There are so many areas of VPS that can contribute towards your decision. Some factors will be more important to you than others so this should be considered, and you should try to make the decision based on the balance between them.

Let me explain a bit more about VPS. Shared hosting is like living in an apartment building and sharing your neighbours' problems. You hear their music through the wall. If one of them leaves the main door open, your security is at risk. Instead VPS, it is more like living in a townhouse with your own private yard, and without ever hearing your neighbours. The only common area you share is the parking area and entrance, all traffic goes through one network port. In contrast to apartments or shared hosting accounts, you pay more for a VPS accunt, but you can do what you want with the space, and your neighbors' problems aren't your problems. VPS gives you the features and functionality of a dedicated server without the cost of building and maintaining one. If you need to host unlimited domains, have complete control of your environment and run your own applications, then you will benefit from having a VPS account.

Anyway, with regards of the managing issue, you might want to look into a managed provider that offer "managed VPS". What I mean by a "managed VPS" account, with that, the web host will take care of almost everything for you from, maintaining OS updates, security patching and even installing applications. BUT, there are many different types of managed hosting. Some are fully managed with everything taken care of for clients, while others are only partly managed. It is therefore important that you know what you are getting for your money. You don't want to think that you are getting a fully managed service only to realise that you have to perform a lot of the hosting tasks yourself. People and companies have different interpretations on the definition of managed hosting so make sure you don't assume something is included without having it confirmed.

If you need help finding a good host that provide "managed VPS" just drop me a PM and I will be more then happy to assist you on that.

3. Mikey

Mikey :mikey: Staff Member

Threads:
    On my old host, when I was doing a database backup on my forum, it always, always database error'd due to "max_user_connections". I moved to a dedicated server, and now I don't have this trouble. :) It's a shared hosting fault.

4. OP
    Vilandra

Vilandra OMG Member

Threads:
    I've had this problem on multiple hosts - a couple which have kicked me off because of it lol. Actually one was using the number from vb of guests + members and told me it was over their limit and made me move. Meanwhile, my site comparatively speaking is pretty small. It was probably like 20-30 users lol, including the spiders

Thanks so much Brian - all of that was very helpful :) It's not like I have a huge site (or a lot of money lol) so I've never really considered VPS but people keep saying to me that you can't run vb on shared hosting blah blah. Plus I AM tired of those database errors lol.

5. Brian

Brian OMG Member

Threads:
    What's the limit of your current host? Maybe you can find a more lenient/generous one.
    I know it's true that moving from a "Shared to VPS", which is obviously more money. But, trust me, it's totally worth the money. What is your budget like? If your budget is limited, perhaps consulting with a reliable managed VPS hosting provider about your needs and see if they can help you.

6. OP
    Vilandra

Vilandra OMG Member

Threads:
    I think they give me 30. Though once when I opened a support ticket about it they told me that usually that error is caused by another issue whatever that means. *shrugs*

I do have a limited budget, so I can't afford a big package from an expensive host. Yes I know you get what you pay for and all that. But I really have a relatively small board - 20 members online at once is probably our norm. It's not like we're some huge 500 users at a time thing.

7. Brian

Brian OMG Member

Threads:
    How much are you paying for your current package? I believe you owns more then one site right?

8. OP
    Vilandra

Vilandra OMG Member

Threads:
    Yeah I host three sites at the moment (I've downsized lol) and I last year split the largest board off into its own account. So I have 2 packages at $10/month apiece. And for the largest board I probably spend $5-10 a month on extra bandwith. So I probably spend total $25-30 a month :)

9. Floris

Floris I'm just me :) Hi. Staff Member

Threads:
    Pyro on irc is quite happy with Linode VPS hosting it seems.

10. OP
    Vilandra

Vilandra OMG Member

Threads:
    Wow that looks a lot better than my current host's plans lol

11. jhonmicle

jhonmicle OMG Member

Threads:
    There are so many areas of VPS that can contribute towards your decision. Some factors will be more important to you than others so this should be considered, and you should try to make the decision based on the balance between them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice