Welcome to OMG boards community!
Community of friends where we talk about daily life, offtopic stuff, and what keeps us busy.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

What do you do with the reputation system?

Discussion in 'Manage your Site' started by Floris, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Floris

Floris I'm just me :) Hi. Staff Member

Threads:
    What do you do with the reputation system?

The wetalk.network here is moving it into a karma system. People can get karma points for doing good, or have points takena way for doing bad.

More reputable profiles might be easier to believe when a comment has been posted to a topic.

What have you done with your site?

2. Pitchoune

Pitchoune OMG Member

Threads:
    I never used reputation. Always receiving, never giving :D

3. Mikey

Mikey :mikey: Staff Member

Threads:
    I use it along with Paul M's "display reputation comments as notifications" mod. So someone knows when I liked their post :)

4. Brian

Brian OMG Member

Threads:
    I first started it using as aura before changing it as a karma system (I have to admit that I actually stole the ideal from you :p by renaming it to Karma) So much more or less then same way as how vbnl's uses.

5. _melody_

_melody_ OMG Member

Threads:
    We use rep constantly! We use it so much in fact that we recently maxed out on rep and I had to divide everybody's rep value by 100 so that we could start over with low values. It took us just over a year to max it out. We don't use it so much as a competitive thing, but more as another communication tool. It's a great way to tell somebody that you enjoyed their post, or give them a quick hug if they posted needing support. Newbies appreciate a quick hello in rep, which is faster than a PM, and yet still a little more personal than a post in their intro thread, although we encourage people to welcome newbies as well. We also have "Rep Parties" for all kinds of reasons or for none at all. Somebody will just start one for whatever reason and all the people in the thread rep each other and have little conversations. It's just fun and keeps the board lively.

We do use negative rep too, people neg each other sometimes when they disagree, or when they think that somebody is behaving trollishly. People who then post complaining about getting neg rep tend to get more, and it ends up being a way for the community to moderate itself without even having to get the staff involved. Not much neg rep gets handed out, but when it does, it's usually warranted.

I've been on boards where there were strict rules about when and why you could rep somebody, but my communities are more social and less technical than those kind of boards seem to be. For us, rep is just a quick way to send a little comment that you is more private than posting openly on the board, and not really worthy of a full blown PM. :)

6. Vilandra

Vilandra OMG Member

Threads:
    We use it as "karma" for short comments on posts - with l3vi's reputation comments in posts hack. I wouldn't want to have a board without it :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice