Welcome to OMG boards community!
Community of friends where we talk about daily life, offtopic stuff, and what keeps us busy.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

What do You Program in?

Discussion in 'The Geek District' started by Toby_offtopica, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Toby_offtopica

Toby_offtopica OMG Member

Threads:
    I am taking website development classes, currently learning CSS, and HTML.

I also have some experience in C++.

What do you know?

2. Chev_offtopica

Chev_offtopica OMG Member

Threads:
    I'm not taking classes but, I have many years coding CSS/HTML.

I'm trying to learn more Java.

3. OP
    Toby_offtopica

Threads:
    I tried learning Java, seems like there were more things to remember than C++.

4. Boss_offtopica

Boss_offtopica OMG Member

Threads:
    I know html and css like the back of my hand. Fairly decent a javascript but I still have a lot to learn. Done a little PHP but nothing worth mentioning. Python is what i've been studying most recently because it seems to be fairly flexible and its a really easy language to follow.

Heres a little something I made with html, css, and javascript. Nothing too exciting but it was fun making it.

http://badprox.com/clock/

I want to add an analog clock below it too but that is a little more intensive than I have time for now.

5. OP
    Toby_offtopica

Threads:
    I could do that with HTML and CSS, I just wouldn't know how to do the Javascript time part. I haven't got that far in my classes yet [​IMG]

6. Phillip

Phillip OMG Member

Threads:
    I do a lot of HTML and CSS coding...PHP at times if I know what I am doing. I don't study it, I just learn from what I have seen over time.

7. Boss_offtopica

Threads:
    Yeah, the HTML and css for it was easy. What was hard was I wrote all the JS for it but the onLoad element wouldn't work and after a while I gave up on that and had to use some deprecated HTML to get it to load on start.

Do codecademy to get your feet wet with JS. OOP can be difficult to wrap your head around at first but codecademy definitely helps in the beginning. From there just think of little projects to do and then google around finding what you need and do them. Like the clock, its a pretty simple project and you'll learn quite a bit.

8. OP
    Toby_offtopica

Threads:
    I did use W3 schools to learn a LOT of Javascript, but I've literally forgot like... all of it.

9. Boss_offtopica

Threads:
    Yeah im the same way. The only way to retain that info is to repeatably do it. Even to this day I have to sometimes google html and css stuff just because I can't remember. Javascript I constantly have to google to get shit done.

Only thing I don't like about W3 is it doesn't seem to show you how to apply the information they give you. They've got great info but if you don't have something to apply it to its just that...information.

10. OP
    Toby_offtopica

Threads:
    Same with me and C++. After not coding for a while I have to go look up some things

11. Boss_offtopica

Threads:
    Thats one thing I want to learn too. That, swift, and java but going from web programming to that sort of thing is almost a different world.

I started learning a little java and was surprised at how similar JS and java are in a lot of ways, mostly the syntax, but java is waaaayyy more about OOP than JS.

12. OP
    Toby_offtopica

Threads:
    You're right about that. I tried learning Java one time. Didn't like the way every line of code was long.

C++: cout << "LOL";

Java: some long line of code

13. bradleyj

bradleyj OMG Member

Threads:
    Yea its just like learning to type you have to do it alot to catch on and once you stop for a long period of time you forget. Thats why i kinda try to keep my touch by doing small projects. Im better at editing information/code than i am working from ground up.

YA java is the hardest i have a friend that i had as staff on one of my forums hes studing java and he said its hard as hell to learn.

14. OP
    Toby_offtopica

Threads:
    Yes, Javascript you have to remember a lot of things...

15. [][]Revios

[][]Revios OMG Member

Threads:
    I used to use Java, but long story short I ended up switching to PHP.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice