Welcome to OMG boards community!
Community of friends where we talk about daily life, offtopic stuff, and what keeps us busy.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

What do you think about hackers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by eatsoup, Apr 14, 2003.

1. eatsoup

eatsoup Guest

What do you think about hackers

I think so called "white hackers" are cool and they are very helpfull to making os'es and progies more secure but the "black hackers" are kind of stupid and "crackers" rule because most of all software is to expensive to buy so an illigal version is ok with some software

2. elmo

elmo OMG Member

:)

the 'proper' terminology is whitehat and blackhat hackers, and those are few, the majority of so called hackers, are nothing but clueless script kiddies, with barely enough skill to compile a program and run it.

as for crackers, they would be people trying to go around protection (read crack games, crack into servers etc etc).

im probably wrong on some points here, so ive put on my asbesto suit, let the flaming begin!

3. M.T.T.

M.T.T. OMG Member

So what does that mean? i'm totally clueless.

4. mik3

mik3 Emissary of Cthulhu (ex-site admin)

The original meaning of hacker was a very good programmer. It's sad but the media got it wrong and now it's indeed used to describe script kiddies.

5. OP
    eatsoup

eatsoup Guest

I think hackers are people who know much and wanna know a lot more

6. mf

mf OMG Member

Hacker = someone who hacks into source code to create badass sweet programs. The "modern" term for this is "Developer".

Cracker = someone who cracks open people's computers or firewalls and uses it to gain access and/or do malicious things to someone's computer. The "popular" (think of media) term for this is "Hacker".

Scriptkiddie = the above, except the person is underage, does not know what he is doing, and has a sky-high self-esteem that doesn't match up to his non-existant knowledge. Note: scriptkiddies like to talk l33t, because that feeds their self-esteem. The media often confuses these with Crackers.

Warez cracker = someone who "cracks" the (disassembled or binary) code of a program to remove legal protection and/or retrieve serial number formulas to create so called "cracks" and "key generators".

Of the above mentioned crackers (not warez crackers) there are indeed blackhat and whitehat versions, where a whitehat cracker cracks to discover security holes in applications or server packages (and reports those), and/or to alert a company or person that he/she/it is not secure and can be hacked into, while explaining how to improve on security, and a blackhat cracker just cracks for whatever he is trying to get (intelligence, control to a computer to make it part of a ddos node, or to abuse its internet connection and disk space to transfer illegal data like warez and/or movies).

7. elmo

elmo OMG Member

while i agree with your post, i would have to argue about the blackhat hacker statement, ofcourse this is my opinion. i do agree with the part about intelligence, for example, 'cracker' for hire type of thing to get company competitors plans etc etc, industrial espionage. however, i would think that those kinds of hackers would want to stay rather anonymous, so warez would be a really obvious thing to drop.

Im a little unsure about the DDoS part tho, a blackhat hacker could be hired by a company to take down competitors web sites/services, but i think a regular DoS would suffice in this case instead.

ofcourse, i might be talking utter crap :)

8. elmo

elmo OMG Member

thats my understanding of a 'real' hacker.

they want to know how things work, why things happen, and how to improve them.

9. mf

mf OMG Member

It's all and/or and/or, meaning everybody is different. Not all crackers work for a higher authority (company) ;).

10. Estaban

Estaban OMG Member

i think hackers rule anyway 'cauz they smarter than a normal person

Yeah... smart

11. elmo

elmo OMG Member

good point ;)

12. OP
    chr|stian

chr|stian Guest

hax0r skillz.

I hate scriptkiddies, and I hate ddos and shit that destroyes the usage of the net. And what i also hate is that the inet admin at the base has restricted sites. that arent harmless at all.. fex, when i try to goto a swedish magazine homepage.. i get the following message:

##### ##### ##### #####
    ##### ##### ##### #####
    ##### ##### ##### #####
    ##### ##### ##### #####
    ##### ##### ##### ##### ####
    ####################### ####
    ############################
    ###########################
    ##########################
    #########################
    ########################
    ########################
    #######################
    #######################

ACCESS DENIED!

IF IT IS IMPORTANT TO YOU TO SEE THE CONTENT OF THIS SITE - PLEASE CALL ****************

13. Sebastiaan

Sebastiaan <b>Uniquest Member, VIP</b>

I hate it when people that hear the word "hacker" they automatically assume it's someone who belongs in jail. But in fact most of the real hackers provide more security in programns, or test programns (like for an bank). Just like some banks hire profesional burglars to test their security.

14. elmo

elmo OMG Member

ineed, the word 'hacker' has been miss used by the media, they should have used the word 'cracker' instead.

15. Sebastiaan

Sebastiaan <b>Uniquest Member, VIP</b>

yeah, what if we used the word media as something EEEEEEEVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIL instead of mass slaughter or something :)

16. Daniel P

Daniel P <i>28th July 2005 - <b>You Will Be Missed</b></i>

Well it's what they like to do, I don't criticize them nor agree, but sometimes they're useful. You wouldn't buy a $2000 DV Capture card to get it's video editing software, would you?

17. OP
    shadow77

shadow77 Guest

I personally hate "Crackers" because think of how much money that company is losing everytime you download their software for free. You aren't losing any money, but the people who work for the software company are. Also, the people who work for the software company may have a family to support.. and it goes on and on.

Everytime you pirate software, it affects a lot of people.

18. OP
    truSt

truSt Guest

I'm currently in a FXP / Warez team.

I'm a filler and scanner, but we have also hackers in the team to hack pubs ;) So I love them a little bit, not if they hack my pc, but now I do ):) ):)

19. OP
    shadow77

shadow77 Guest

Well, it's good to admit that to everyone.. :(

I hope that you were joking about your post above.

20. Floris

Floris I'm just me :) Hi. Staff Member

Please don't post that kind of stuff on our forum.

You just admitted doing something that is against the law, we do not support that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice