Welcome to OMG boards community!
Community of friends where we talk about daily life, offtopic stuff, and what keeps us busy.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

Which tank?

Discussion in 'SWTOR Discussion' started by Bears_Krutz, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Bears_Krutz

Bears_Krutz Citizen of the Forum

Threads:
    Which class is more suited for tanking? I have played close combat games my whole MMO career. What do class is better suited for tanking in this game? Jedi, or the Trooper (Going Republic)? I know trooper can take more hits, but I am not sure who will generate more hate.. because trooper seems like a far away class, and a jedi uses his light sabers. I am just at a loss for it... Anyone able to help me out?

2. TeHpUmKinKiNg

TeHpUmKinKiNg OMG Member

Threads:
    I would say the Jedi Knight would be the best tank, due to the up-close and personal nature of melee combat.

The Trooper, on the other hand, can be either ranged, or melee. So, I guess it depends on your build and advanced class.

3. Nelson_MD

Nelson_MD I Heart FOTOR :hugs:

Threads:
    Yeah, if I wanted to be able to attack up close and far away, then the Trooper would be the guy for you. But it you really wanted to be more of an up-close and personal attacker, I would be a Jedi. While the Jedi Knight is not only melee (meaning that they have a few ranged attacks having to do with the force), the Trooper has things like shields and sticky grenades. If I were you, I think I would choose trooper because it seems to fit you based on how you phrased your question.

But, you can always try both, just start the story and see how it goes for both classes. Then you can choose what you would prefer to play as. I am sure that after you taste one or another, you will want to play one, more than the other!

:- ()

4. TeHpUmKinKiNg

TeHpUmKinKiNg OMG Member

Threads:
    Yeah, the Knight does have some ranged attacks with the Force (and saber throw), but I would think that would be more for Consulars.

I plan to nuke anyhow, so I'm going to probably roll a Consular. Then again, it depends on the overall abilities. I wouldn't mind tanking, too, and I wonder if the Consular could be fitted for that role as well.

5. Nelson_MD

Threads:
    It all depends on which advanced class you choose. But, I think that the Trooper seems like a better fit for Bears. At least that is what I get from meeting him from over the forums. Voice can be distorted over the internet if you are not speaking through a microphone and then through a speaker.

6. Draconek

Draconek Citizen of the Forum

Threads:
    Judging by the available media, the two tanking archetypes have their own uses. In other words, in end-game situations, it seems almost detrimental to have both a melee tank/off-tank as well as a ranged tank/off-tank.

In terms of who can take the most hits, I would have to disagree with you. The ranged tanks are designed to cover and evade, while the in your face melee tanks are designed to soak and parry. With that said, a skilled trooper should last longer in the heat of battle without the attention of a healer, but as far as actual damage being taken, there's no way a trooper could take on as much as a knight.

As far as threat distributed per second, that part would be up to pure speculation, as there just isn't enough data to make that kind of call. But, as mentioned, the two tanks are meant for different purposes, so they shouldn't really be competing for aggro, and until we see more videos or hard proof...or the game comes out, there's no way to know for sure to be able to strategize.

7. OP
    Bears_Krutz

Threads:
    Ok, thanks so much for the help guys. I am just trying to pick the best class to raid and PVP with for my Guild. Never played an MMO like this one, and I want to come into the game the right way, with the class that will best suit the roll that I am going to be taking on.

8. Draconek

Draconek Citizen of the Forum

Threads:
    Well, until the game is actually released, there's just no way to tell. Even then, in MMO's, balance issues come and go, and you will find that while in one patch the Knight is the better fit, it might not be so true in the following patch. Pretty much, if your guild wants you to tank, and aren't specific about ranged or melee, just pick whichever one appeals to you the most.

9. TeHpUmKinKiNg

TeHpUmKinKiNg OMG Member

Threads:
    OK, ok.. I'm going to make this pretty simple. Granted, we don't know toooooo much about the class specifics and such, but we do know this: at the end of the day...

Who has a *pew pew* blaster? And who has the friggin lightsaber? Nuff said ;)

10. Jayden

Jayden I R Posting Machine

Threads:
    I would go with up close and personal, but that's because I enjoy the frenzy. It all depends on what you enjoy.

11. OP
    Bears_Krutz

Threads:
    Hmm, I guess we have to wait until the game comes out to figure out which tank has the ability to take the punishments that the raid mob throws out.

12. Nelson_MD

Threads:
    Yeah, I guess that we all will have to wait until the game comes out to really decide what class we are going to want to play as. It will be a tough call for all of us.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice