Welcome to OMG boards community!
Community of friends where we talk about daily life, offtopic stuff, and what keeps us busy.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

Wordpress?

Discussion in 'The Geek District' started by Toby_offtopica, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Toby_offtopica

Toby_offtopica OMG Member

Threads:
    I hear people say wordpress things related to forum software... But I've always seen it as a blog. Anyone use this?

2. Phillip

Phillip OMG Member

Threads:
    I've used it for mostly blogging in the past, but I have messed with wordpress in sometime now.

But I wouldn't say it was related to a forum software at all.

3. Beyonder

Beyonder OMG Member

Threads:
    Nope not even close.

4. Phillip

Phillip OMG Member

Threads:
    Not at all close to a forum software.

5. Beyonder

Beyonder OMG Member

Threads:
    Direct opposite since only a single or allowed people can post which is kinda dumb.

6. Phillip

Phillip OMG Member

Threads:
    That's true. It really ruins what it is they are trying to be.

7. Beyonder

Beyonder OMG Member

Threads:
    Only successful WordPress is FactPile.....

8. bradleyj

bradleyj OMG Member

Threads:
    You can design it as a forum. It does have the CMS and other plugin features involved. You can also integrate most any forum into it and use it. Alot of people use it for an online shopping cart for their business. As it has a great deal of plugins and is flexible.. I actually use it for my Vapor business / Ecig. and alot of people also use it to create articles around it.. But anymore most of your forum software atleast paid already have that implented. I know Vbulletin , XENforo and IPB both have them capabilities. But wordpress def adds an edge to the forum software if you are low on funds and you have a good creative edge you can make a nice community with WP integrated in forums.

9. Beyonder

Beyonder OMG Member

Threads:
    doesn't sound that bad but overall WordPress is a blog more then a forum.

10. Beyonder

Beyonder OMG Member

Threads:
    Doesn't sound that bad but overall WordPress is a blog more then a forum.

11. bradleyj

bradleyj OMG Member

Threads:
    well no but compared to others it has more features and plugins to customize it any way you want. Its flexible

12. bradleyj

bradleyj OMG Member

Threads:
    But at the same time more people are going away from forums to a point. They are more interested in social media aspect of it all. i.e. Facebook,Twitter etc so blogs are becoming the norm now. Due to the flexibility of WP you can implement them things in there esp for business owners and bloggers, Image sharing etc.

13. Beyonder

Beyonder OMG Member

Threads:
    lol nah forums are getting bigger but many people cant run a forum....

14. bradleyj

bradleyj OMG Member

Threads:
    Because the newer updates are adding more features that people dont know how to implement them into their setup. Nor how to go about getting it active. Which its hard for alot of people. Because so much is involved when it comes to that. If you want an active community the key points need to be met to make a successful community.

1.) Got to advertise, - Paying for advertising also helps. Some hosting providers give you google credits for staying a customer with them. I got 100.00 credits promotion card every month when i was with HG. But since im no longer with them anymore i dont get them. But i never really used it much anyway. But i would have had a better outlook had i used it.

2.) You got to create a design that fits your topic. If you are using a rock band theme for a General forum that wont appeal to members.

3.) You have to keep things active new posts every so oftem and respond to them on a regular basis. and not have empty forums just sitting there. It makes the appearance look abandoned. Shows you dont care and no one is going to come to a non active forum because it does take some time to really make a good quality post so people arent going to put enough effort into it if the Management / Staff dont show they appriciate or care about their members.

4.) Got to offer rewards wheather its a "Loyal Member" title with more message space and colorful titles. Or on the staff list or a member list as reconizable member or soemthing like that. for the ones that actually put effort into your community.

5.) Communicating with your members on a personal level like sending them a message every now and then seeing if they are liking the community and if their is anything that they would like to see. Its a personal aspect that gets peoples attention not just a generic Mass Message sent to all of the members same thing. Members want to feel welcomed and when they feel that they will help your community grow in the long haul.

6.) Set structured rules or simple enough to get the point. You arent going to cover every aspect. But a few Titles with a description of what they mean is plenty... 5-8 Titles is plenty

7.) Make sure your members know that a staff member is present at all times atlesast 1 (2 Great but atelast one is fine. Just has to be active..

8.) Moderators are as important as anyone else. Yea some may think not because you have alot out there that want the "Admin" Title but if they earn it they will put more work into it Ive learned not to give rank right off the bat because once they get it they assume they can slack off or not be active at all . Ive done this working for another forum and managing my own for 6-8 years now and ive seen soo many forums and staff just drop off the face of the earth because communities were slacking. Myself even had them falls but its the idea of knowing what is wrong to correct it and either have them come back or get new members and try to keep them stay..... A good question to ask yourself when you are building a community is :

What can i offer or do differently that others arent doing.

What Do I look for when im browsing forums.

What makes my community stand out that others dont offer.

Sometimes putting a little monetary investment into your community helps also. unless you save the cash and do it all yourself..

Like Design, Plugins, etc.

Knowing what things you offer scare away members...

Those are key things to look for when you are building a community because you wont know when you are building right at first.. Esp for the noobs. You learn as you go..

Hope this gives a better understanding on guiding the new/older Developers to guiding them to a successful community building

15. Beyonder

Beyonder OMG Member

Threads:
    Nice I also notice people not doing partnerships

TIP FOR ALL PEOPLE!

People create forums just to create....which its annoying really pick a nice subject and grow! Dont spam names and stuff people might want but instead combine forums like staff and subjects makes wasting a forum much more lower then a rise of unwanted and unneeded forums so partnerships are always good when you wanna take things to the next level!

[​IMG] like the guide above this is helpful!

16. bradleyj

bradleyj OMG Member

Threads:
    Well doing partnerships in communitys are good depends on the platform, subject etc.. But sometimes you combine resources with another even if its seems bizarre to do or doesnt seem to fit sometimes it makes it better because it takes it to a new level and improves its reputation and structure, and may even bring a new crowd full of ideas, and that also helps Community owners get an insight on the lower level of things because sometimes when your building communities and your primaraly at the high level since your the owner you dont see the little things sometimes and or miss them. so when someone else comes along to point them out you begin to think about it and how it will benefit your community and improve it. Ive done partnershps a few times til you begin to get in a mess on who owns more of what and who has more say.. I dont do it very often with the exception with Phillip and Tyler but we derived differently than most.

I still partitally own this community but in a sense Phillip owns it also with the content and the board I still somewhat own the name and the domain and i own the hosting company [​IMG] that this is hosted on so yea:P but I like that phillip has it now in a sense as its doing better now than it has and sometimes you have 1 shot with building your presentation and when you fail its hard to get it back so thats one of the reasons I made that decision to give this a new face Ive had this community for 7 years or so I owned alone 4 projects that were running decent they werent quite the Big Board categlory but decent

I consider myself grounded due to the fact working for other devs and running my own community.. You see both sides of that and learn things alot faster than if you just managed your own or just helped someone else.

17. Beyonder

Beyonder OMG Member

Threads:
    Agreed!

Cooperation

is needed in a partnership! [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice