Welcome to OMG boards community!
Community of friends where we talk about daily life, offtopic stuff, and what keeps us busy.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

Your writing influence?

Discussion in 'Awesome Media' started by Diana Notacat, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Diana Notacat

Diana Notacat OMG Member

Your writing influence?

So quiet... must rectify!

So what is your writing influence? Those first few pieces you read that really made a difference in the way you write things?

First novels I remember reading were those cheesy detective stories. c.c; Nancy Drew, the Hardy Boys, ect... and of course all of Mum's romance novels! That leaves for such an interesting combination of things! XD

2. zero

zero OMG Member

I use to love the hardy boys books.

My own personal influences I must say comes from Hemmingway, Kerouak, and the late Dr. Thompson.

Attached Files:

3. freeflow

freeflow OMG Member

I have wanted to be a successful author most of my life so I didn't have an author particularly influence me until recent history. I had just finished reading one of John Grisham's newest works when I was completely jolted out of my writer's block. The epiphany was: Don't write a book, tell a story. Actually I like that so much and it was so helpful that I have had another epiphany and will use it as my signature!

4. Pyro

Pyro OMG Member

I'm sort of like you. I don't really have any particular author that's influenced me. I read (most) Science Fiction/Fantasy books, and some other things too. I just read what I enjoy, and I don't really limit myself to certain authors. It might be cool to be a succesful and popular author, I'm just not really too sure where to start.

5. freeflow

freeflow OMG Member

Correction

I had originally posted this before the wipeout, but it's important people don't think the worst of me, SO to repeat, my favorite author is not john grisham, but JOHN IRVING. It is he who I emulated in that thread, 'throwing it to the wolves'. John Irving is known for The World According to Garp, A Widow for One Year (which was made into a movie as well) and The Fourth Hand. Read him, you'd be amazed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice