Another purpose for unusable tech

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
Some things are just iconic. Such as the retro look of the playstation or an Apple computer from twenty years ago.

And I love that. They are a design, a culture, an idea. And it's a shame to let it go to waste.

I've seen many people come up with creative ideas, and I love some of them. I couldn't afford quite a few of them. But what I can do is the following.

Get something old for super cheap, remove the inside and re-purpose it for say a 'design' thing on my desk but make its function something else (say a time machine backup disk inside of it).

I've seen some youtube clips where they used an old floppy drive and put an ssd inside of it, it looks so stylish and fancy. And it's amazing that super slow small back in the day stuff is now used for super modern and super fast speed mass storage.

I thought about changing my wall up a bit a while ago with a diagonal plank with a stylish look of cable management down to get a bit of a future look. Just to have a solution for storing loads of drives in there.

And on top of that plank a flat plank on which I can put some small picture frames, old hardware I don't use as decoration, etc.

But now I am thinking of putting a few canvas on the wall instead, And to get an old stylish but compact LP record player that doesn't work. Put some small led lights in there for a bloom effect. And then store my array of disks in there. Cable management is a matter of a ziptie and a power brick in the back with an extender.