Best book you've read this year?

Mallix

OMG Member
What's the best book you've read in 2017? Ebook or paperback or hardbook, if it is a book it fits here. I really enjoyed "Zombies vs. the living dead" about zombies invading a retirement home, because it was such a mix of funny and really disturbing.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
I've only read two books this year, one was to help @Elizabeth with her school project, thankfully it was Sherlock Holmes, so it was fun to read! The other one was a book my father wrote. Which was an interesting experience.

KilljoyDivine

OMG Member
I had to go into my GoodReads page to see exactly when I finished things. So, it was in November, so "technically" it doesn't count, but it beats out anything I have read this year, if partly because it's in my own strong preference. Absolutely could not put down The Golem and the Jinni (by Helene Wecker). Beautifully written. The way that the words are worked is so delicate and wonderfully strange at the same time. Some writing and books will make me chew on the paragraphs, (if that makes sense), and I have to work a little harder to build the picture in my head to thoroughly enjoy it. With The Golem and the Jinni it was super easy to read, but still beautifully written. The word equivalent of French pastry.

I did enjoy The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman, but it was sad, and a little dark. Still delicious. Ooops, that was December. But that was a good second.

I also really liked The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender, but it was a bit of fluff I think, but fun fluff.

I'll have to check out Zombies Vs The Living Dead, that sounds great! I liked Pride, Prejudice, and Zombies, that was some good fun in the zombie arena of books!

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
I wish my eyes wouldn't be in the way of reading books, I'd probably try a lot more stories. You've really read a lot killjoy :)

KilljoyDivine

OMG Member
Oh man, I read **a LOT**. And I've read a lot! I enjoy going to bookstores or the library and mentioning a book I've read and they have no idea what I'm talking about so it turns into a 3 hour discussion about the genre, haha! My favorite that usually starts this is looking for really good Japanese horror, and I mention how I started with Haruki Murikami, with Kafka on the Shore. That went to something else, and so I try to remember this really mindblowing set of horror stories, (apparently, this is it- Revenge by Yoko Ogawa), and they don't know what I'm talking about. I try to describe it (and it's been a few years since I read it, and it's so worth the reread. Anyways, that's a good time!