Building Your Own Computer

24Cylinders

OMG Member
My current laptop won't be able to run the new expansion for my favourite game, so I'm looking into buying a new gaming desktop to replace it. Gaming computers are pretty expensive, but I've heard you can save a bit of money if you build it yourself.

Has anyone else tried building their own computer? Was it worth it? Is it something that anyone can do, or is it difficult?

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
When I was a PC user, I've always built my own systems. I can't imagine it being harder these days, especially with loads of great videos by professionals on Youtube, etc.

Pick the CPU you want, then a motherboard that supports that CPU and is ready for the RAM and SSD that you want.
Then see what video cards you want that are properly supported by that motherboard and CPU, apply cooling, add a old HDD for mass storage and you're done. Install an OS, steam, your games, play!

Picking a motherboard first, then going with an Intel cpu when the mobo only supports AMD, is the wrong way.

Buying certain ram and a cpu, and then picking a motherboard, you might find out the mobo doesn't support your ram. So if the cpu and mobo work fine, you know which ram to get for it.

If you are a gamer and want a certain card, maybe that helps you pick what kind of motherboard to go for.

The mobo also defines what kind of case you will put it all in. No use buying a dual cpu server mobo whn you get a mini case for a mini mobo and old celeron cpu.

The bigger the fans, the more quiet, small fans make noise. So get a card with a few fans on it, video card that is, that are not small, and a case tha can take 120mm fans in the front and back.

Or, decide to go with wate rcooling and learn how to do that properly.

Finally, the power supply unit should be comfortably more than all the stuff you put in there, if you need 450, then perhaps go with a 750, if you go over 500, maybe decide on a 1000 psu, that way you can expand later without worrying.

The SSD i recommend is just for storing your OS and the most played game, and some programs, that helps speed things up, storing games on the HDD second rive and your media, etc, keeps the SSD clean, and saves you from ahving to swap dvds out etc