Can be a licence transfered 2 or 3 times?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elargento

OMG Member
Oct 1, 2011
I will give an example:
I buy a new licence, after 6 months I sell it.
The new buyer, after 5 months sell it again.

Can be possible? I mean, a licence can be only transfered one time or more?

Thanks

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
Jan 1, 2001
Netherlands
mrfloris.com
In theory the answer seems to be no:

The Software may be permanently transferred by the original purchaser to a third party ("Subsequent Licensee") not before 120 days following purchase, provided that the expiry date of the License falls after the date of the transfer. The original licensee may not retain a copy or installation of the Software. The Subsequent Licensee must agree to the terms of this Agreement and waive the right to transfer.

Source: http://xenforo.com/license-agreement

So one should assume it is a no.

But you can always open a support ticket with them once you have the license and want to know if it can be transferred. Asking them might result in 'yes, it's eligible for a transfer' (or a no).

Floris

Staff member
Jan 1, 2001
Netherlands
mrfloris.com
I think the purpose is that they understand you buy a license, and at some point might have a reason to transfer it (new site owner, another company, you move it on to another person).

For free, as an exception, they permit you to transfer it.

But to avoid users buying up licenses in bulk and transferring them to make a buck, or whatever their reason might be, they limit transfers to incidental. Rather than creating the option for extra overhead for themselves.

Of course, this might change in the future.

I've had positive experiences with having licenses transferred to me, and away from me.

elargento

OMG Member
Oct 1, 2011
Yes, I understand, also its an extra work for admins/mods to transfer a licence once a once again.. so this limit is useful in a certain way..

Im askin because I´m planning to buy a "used" licence, and I wanted to know if I´m able to sell it in a future. I can´t afford 140$, so I was looking for a licence of 60$ maybe..

Floris

Staff member
Jan 1, 2001
Netherlands
mrfloris.com
I recommend companies like XenForo to generate extra income margins by writing a module for their site where it's the least amount of trouble for them to handle transfer requests. And that it comes with a fee (non-refundable and despite the outcome of the transfer). This way the moderators that handle tickets could perhaps do these, without risk of things going wrong. And the time spend isn't much, plus it's financially compensated. Indirectly it will drive prices of second hand licenses up, which is a good thing for them as well. With little difference between official purchase (risk free) and secondhand (always comes with risk) they might get more new customers.

Just my opinion though :p

elargento

OMG Member
Oct 1, 2011
Yes, Its a very good idea indeed, but remember that XenForo has only a few developers (I think 2) and a small number of people that works replying support tickets. Giving them more work could be less productive

Status
Not open for further replies.