Can you chill as an admin?

How often do you visit your site as a member relaxing on your forums?

• My role is site owner, they rarely hear from me.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Oh, I am there 100% all the time, .. as the admin.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • When I am done being the admin, I am there as a member.

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • I have to find time to read the content on my site, such a shame.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • It's 50/50 for me, I am the involved admin posting as a member.

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
Jan 1, 2001
Netherlands
mrfloris.com
Don't forget! Very important!
You have own site for a reason. But this comes with a consequence: You're also the admin. Aw man!

Yes, very depressing when you just want to visit your own site as a member. Put your feet up and chill. Read the discussions, post some messages, etc.

Participating in conversations on your own web site as just another member is important. Not only do you connect with your visitors, but you are simply put: Enjoying your own site.

I've learned through interviews with site owners over the last ten years that they sometimes forget that they're their own member as well.

Reactions: 1 person

iTuN3R

OMG Member
Nov 2, 2010
It's 50/50 for me, I am the involved admin posting as a member.

My site goal are different i already know 50% of my members in real life . We organize some sort of get together once in a while and do some fishing together ,lunch times share stories with each others . Great way to keep the community in shape.

Stormraven

Trusted Member
Oct 24, 2010
Wales, UK
www.prowebforums.com
It's 50/50 for me, I am the involved admin posting as a member.

My site goal are different i already know 50% of my members in real life . We organize some sort of get together once in a while and do some fishing together ,lunch times share stories with each others . Great way to keep the community in shape.

Must be quite nice to know some know some of your use base in real life :) The only time it'll get awkward is it you turn up to meet them and someone says 'why did you ban me' lol.

CycleChat_imported

OMG Member
Nov 16, 2011
Hull, UK
www.cyclechat.net
I have to manage my site in my free time and since it has grown beyond all original expectations, the "running" of the site uses up pretty much all of my free time.

I'm migrating from IPBoard to XF this coming weekend so I'm hoping that the management tools in XF will make the running a bit easier and free up some time - once everyone is settled back in ... :D

I could, quite literally, spend all day managing my sites - so that's my aim in the next couple of years - to finish working 9-5 for someone else and to be my own boss running my forums.

My wife thinks otherwise, so I've got some work to do - both earning enough money to match the salary and convincing her it won't be the end of the world if I work for myself - but I think I can do it if I continue to work hard and keep moving forward and upwards in a positive way.

It is different when you're the "Admin" though - people do treat you differently, even if you don't ask/expect them too!!

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Reactions: 1 person

iTuN3R

OMG Member
Nov 2, 2010
Must be quite nice to know some know some of your use base in real life :) The only time it'll get awkward is it you turn up to meet them and someone says 'why did you ban me' lol.

haha i must be the youngest person who runs the board all members on my board are mostly 30+ except few 25-30 including myself .

My community is about fishing we do all kind of fun stuffs together so it doesn't involve any bans or warnings .

Status
Not open for further replies.