Chat mod ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vodkaholic

OMG Member
hmm that dam ad right in the middle :X
Am not sure how this work's but do you have to use Mibbit? I thought you guys ran the irc? or am i miss understanding it?

Cheers

Mikey

:mikey:
Staff member
mibbit is the people who built and provide the web interface, free of charge. they are mibbit.com

vbirc is the default network of ezirc, the people who provide the IRC servers. they are vbirc.com

ezirc (xenforo) is managed by one of the staff on vbirc, you can always change which network you connect to via the "ezirc" tab in your admincp.

Vodkaholic

OMG Member
mibbit is the people who built and provide the web interface, free of charge. they are mibbit.com

vbirc is the default network of ezirc, the people who provide the IRC servers. they are vbirc.com

ezirc (xenforo) is managed by one of the staff on vbirc, you can always change which network you connect to via the "ezirc" tab in your admincp.
Ahh I see but I like using vbirc that's the only problem
Thanks for the info tho

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
vbirc is free
it's mibbit that puts the ad there,
changing network wont make the ad go away.

Vodkaholic

OMG Member
Ahh right so the only way is to change Mibbit?
Guess I'll stick with the ad than.

Floris

Staff member
I recommend to accept the ads for now, and build the chat room, get some regulars in there (who will usually just use a direct chat client (which they can btw!)) and if it gets momentum, to use some donation money to get rid of the ad. The 'up to x users' that mibbit mentions means 'first concurrent x users dont get ads, the rest will', it's not like it is a limit of usage or anything. We run it on our main site and it's constantly being used by all the 100+ channels and we have 300+ concurrent users online, and don't hit that concurrent user limit, at any time. So per channel .. is just fine. There aren't that many channels 'that' popular on the network. Hopefully yours is of course :D :D

Vodkaholic

OMG Member
Does vbirc support flash chat ? this would get rid of that ad and still be on you'er network?
Or is this a bad thing

Cheers

EQnoble

OMG Member
The thing is...that Floris is saying you could go download mIRC or any other IRC client to go login to any irc network.

IRC is WAY better than any flash chat is going to be and using mibbit on you page basically uses a trimmed up irc client in a wrapper so members who don't know how use IRC can get in on it. It is a great way to build up an IRC channel. Also because your irc server isn't on your webserver (it can be but this is a whole new beast) it isn't lagging up page loads for those not even viewing the chat.

EDIT
The ad is there so the company who offers this free program (mibbit) can earn back funds they spent developing while offering a free product..to circumvent them without paying would be dirty. Surely using flash for chat could change that but byte for byte IRC is way better and worth the ad.

In the end if you use the chat enough you can use an IRC client to logon to the same chat channel that the page running mibbit goes to and be there without even having to be at the webpage. You won't see an ad as the ad runs in the mibbet client itself

Mikey

Staff member
Does vbirc support flash chat ? this would get rid of that ad and still be on you'er network?
Or is this a bad thing

Cheers
if you try Jaxel's XenHabla mod which uses lightirc - point it to flash.vbirc.com - that should work, that server has a flash policy file (which is needed by Jaxel's mod) if I remember correctly.

Vodkaholic

OMG Member

I use Xchat but the AD is not about me it's for other people who just use the chat on the site

if you try Jaxel's XenHabla mod which uses lightirc - point it to flash.vbirc.com - that should work, that server has a flash policy file (which is needed by Jaxel's mod) if I remember correctly.
Thanks Mikey i'll try it

Floris

Staff member
flash.vbirc.com is not public yet :) I doubt it will work for you at this point.

Vodkaholic

OMG Member
flash.vbirc.com is not public yet :) I doubt it will work for you at this point.

This worked up intill yesterday :) any reason it stopped?
Cheers

edit hmm it seems to be random
sometimes it does sometimes it don't :s

Mikey

Staff member
This worked up intill yesterday :) any reason it stopped?
Cheers

edit hmm it seems to be random
sometimes it does sometimes it don't :s

Like Floris said, it's not yet public, my bad for posting it. As it is not yet public, it's prone to bugs. I'm not sure of the set up..

Status
Not open for further replies.