Competitive Gaming

CrayCray

OMG Member
The competitive side of most online multiplayer games has no shortage of pressure. For those seeking to test their mettle against the metagame, a competitive mode allows a segment of the player-base to approach a game in a much more compressed and comprehensive setting. In many more games than one would realize, however, the individual player attitude and demeanor can often determine the outcome of a match. In order to approach a competitive game in the best mindset, there are steps that can be taken to reduce stress and clear one's head--directing a player's focus on the competition.

Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 19.25.43.png

Hunger can creep up on a player like a trickster in the night. Under the worst conditions, it can decimate the focus of any normal living creature. That being said, it is imperative that a competitive gamer remains well-nourished. Granola bars, nuts, and dried fruits are always quality snacking fare. Steer clear of high-sodium foods and the excessive caffeine present in energy drinks, such as Monster; too much caffeine can stymie your precision and increase anxiety.

Proper amounts of rest are all too often forgotten in the world of gaming. Far too many late-night grind-fests and raids have many in the community believing that the most hardcore gamers are the sleepiest gamers. However, that paradigm is shifted in a competitive setting: usually, the best-prepared team will be the team to arise as the victor. Not getting proper amounts of rest can lead one's aim astray in shooters or cause one to miss crucial heals in a MOBA teamfight. For games that require focus and awareness: rest is key.

The internet is the largest assimilation of human knowledge known to history. Hidden within are stat sheets, hit point values, champion builds, and all other sorts of goodies that allow a competitive player to get a leg up in terms of knowledge. Doing adequate research and studying a game often gives a competitive player a strong foundation upon which to outwit opponents alongside good mechanics and focus. Knowledge is the strongest asset in any competitive gamer's tool belt and having adequate amounts can create a better player in anyone.

Through these simple tidbits of advice, anyone is capable of learning how to game competitively in their best form. Rest, hunger levels, and key knowledge can often be neglected during the thick of a competitive circuit. Gamers with these tips in mind have the strongest chances of becoming much more successful players in their respective arenas. Application of these factors alongside practice will lead to more of those "in the zone" moments and subsequently more wins and more glory.

Last edited by a moderator:

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
Quite a read! Let me sit down for this one :) I wish I was good enough for competitive gaming, seems like so much fun, and esports is being taken way more serious these days