Creating a Page

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martyn_imported

OMG Member
Could someone please explain how to custom create a page, i know the basic bit, but seems to show pages/example. i wish for it to be linked as /example only...?

thanks

imported_Brian

OMG Member
The link feature is basically the same same as how it works on vBulletin. The only difference is that, it will be listed under the page node instead of the forums itself.

Just head over to your node tree and create a new page node and add a child node and select the "LinkForum" option, give your link node a title and enter the URL of which you want it to linked to and there, select the parent node where you want your link node to be displayed. Let say if you want it to be listed under your main node page then select that as your parent node (remember the page node you created earlier? ) and it will be shown under that node tree. So when your users visit your said "page" they will be able to see the example link which you've created, when they click on it, they will then be redirected to the URL that you've set in the node link. :)

Martyn_imported

OMG Member
i think i tried it right but it didnt work? :s no idea ill just leave it at /page/ it make be easier to alter later on

imported_Brian

OMG Member
Make sure you mark the "Display in the node list" option. Otherwise it won't display in your node tree.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
Yes you can do two things.

a) Use the default system to make a custom Page that's based on a node. The url portion will be prefixed with /Pages/
or
b) Use a customization on top of the framework of XenForo, so you can be in more control of it.

Personally I see nothing wrong with a page being prefixed with /pages/ but I can understand people desire otherwise.

Brians' explanation is in regards to option a. Using the default XenForo system :)

Load admin.php > Applications > Create a new Node > Page > give short title, give name, give description and just use HTML code inside the HTML-template section.

cam2

OMG Member
Hey Floris, would you share the custom HTML used in your "Meet the Team" page? It's very sleek and looks very nice.

Thanks.

cam2

OMG Member
Somehow I missed that one. I like those designs but Floris has his just a bit different. Thanks for posting the link David.

Jethro

OMG Member
Additional page question, probably simple.

What do you enter in the PHP Callback boxes? Just starting to muck around with pages and can't get pass this entry.

Jethro

OMG Member
Additional page question, probably simple.

What do you enter in the PHP Callback boxes? Just starting to muck around with pages and can't get pass this entry.

Never mind, was an early bug that Xen fixed. If you are having a problem with it, time to redownload xen and replace library\XenForo\DataWriter\Page.php. Note fix from xenforo.com, not mine.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
Might be mistaken but I believe it's actually using a nice modification here: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/team-staff-page-templates.4974/
Nope :) I used the default html classes from XenForo :) plain and simple HTML template

Code:
<div class="primaryContent">

<div class="primaryContent"><em><span style="color: #008000;">Floris Fiedeldij Dop</span></em><br />
- bio: Male, 33, Dutch, more: http://mrfloris.com/about<br />
- url: http://wetalknation.net<br />
- team: xenfans.com site owner<br />

<div class="secondaryContent"><em><span style="color: #008000;">Christopher Nadeau</span></em><br />
- bio: Male, 21, Canadian, more: http://chrisnadeau.com<br />
- url: http://outershift.com<br />
- team:  xenfans.com product developer<br />

</div><!-- /primaryContent -->

I didn't have a lot of time and I just threw it together.

I've demoed this version to Nix the other week, but what I am making for meet the team is a bit more complex and user-friendly and appealing to the eye.

Imagine a background image with a PNG overlay that fades from transparent to white. That's a Map version of a geo map with their city where they are from highlighted. Overlaying on that their face profile picture in a bordered frame with tiny subtle shadow. Slightly rotated. With below it their name in bold, status in italic. And below that their short bio. In the white space on the right of it a button like 'post new thread' saying 'View full profile'.

Here's a (poor quality) screenshot of the july draft.
july_draft_xenforo_meet_staff_lowquality.png

Simone_imported

OMG Member
Yes you can do two things.

a) Use the default system to make a custom Page that's based on a node. The url portion will be prefixed with /Pages/
or
b) Use a customization on top of the framework of XenForo, so you can be in more control of it.

Can you or anyone else explain a bit more about option B?

I guess I would have to have a good knowledge of php and xenforo framework. Has anyone come across any good documentation so that I can try something simple. I have created a few pages but would really like them to appear within its own custom node.

Status
Not open for further replies.