Full Disk Encryption

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
On the Mac it's quite easy to add full disk encryption to your external hard drives, thumbnails, backup disks, and external SSD, etc.

Just right click the disk, and select 'Encrypt..', it will ask you for a password. set one, and let it do it's thing. Yes, you can unmount the drive, the next time you connect it, encryption will continue until it's done.

Now, each time you connect the disk it will popup asking for the decryption password. Failing to add it will not mount it. And on success, it will be operating as usual. Note though, when it does ask for the pass, do not check the checkbox 'remember', because you want the pass to be in (1Password) your password manager, or in your head, and not stored on disk.

Anyway, the benefit of having encrypted disks, thumbnails, etc. is that when you lose it, give it to someone to repair it, or someone steals it, only you can decrypt it. You can feel a bit more secure about your personal data leaking out. Hence why I encourage adding full disk encryption. Just make sure you don't forget the password.

I've started doing this ages ago, and my Mac drives had a pass from 2015, I've updated 50% of them in 2016, but just now I've updated all my disks to new unique and strong passwords ~ making sure if any pass ever leaked out, it no longer works.